Bucs not high on Travis Henry

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After reading this article I would not give up our second round pick for him but would give up a third. Thoughts?
AZ JAM

Bucs Reportedly Not High On Bills RB Henry

Published: Jan 29, 2005

MOBILE, Ala. - Disgruntled Buffalo Bills RB Travis Henry remains confident he'll work out a trade to another team this winter, but his chances of landing in Tampa Bay might be slim.
Though Bucs coach Jon Gruden has expressed interest in the Frostproof High product, two NFL team executives told the Tribune this week the Bucs are among teams shying away from Henry.

The reason is not necessarily the second-round draft pick the Bills are believed to be asking for, but Henry's past fumbling problems.

``He's a nice player, but he puts the ball on the ground a lot,'' one NFC team executive said. ``I don't think he was too bad last year, but his history in the league says he gives it up a lot.''

Henry didn't fumble while touching the ball 104 times this season, but he had five fumbles during the 2001 season, 11 in 2002 and seven in 2003.

Henry also ran for more than 1,300 yards during the 2002 and 2003 seasons and is considered one of the league's better young backs because he is improving dramatically as a pass catcher.

The Dolphins appear to be the team most interested in trading for Henry, but they don't have a second-round pick to send to the Bills. Other teams expressing interest are Oakland and Arizona. ``CADILLAC'' CATCHING ON? An error-free week of workouts hasn't erased the concern scouts have regarding Auburn RB Carnell ``Cadillac'' Williams' ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

Several scouts said Williams will have to prove he can be an effective pass catcher during a much longer stretch of time. Williams doesn't seem to have a problem with that.

He said this week that he welcomes the opportunity to work more as a pass catcher because it's something he was seldom asked to do at Auburn.

``I think I have good hands and that I can catch the ball, but it's something I just haven't done a lot of, and I think that's the reason there are so many questions about it,'' he said.

``I mean, part of it has been my lack of concentration, too. There were times in games when I was trying to run before I caught the ball, and that's wrong. But now I think I've settled down and now I'm ready to do whatever they ask.'' NEW BOSS, MEET THE OLD BOSS: Gruden wasn't the only member of the Bucs' head coaching fraternity taking in Friday's Senior Bowl festivities. Ray Perkins also was on hand.

Perkins, who coached the Bucs from 1987-90, was in town to be inducted into the Senior Bowl Hall of Fame.

Perkins, who was enshrined along with former NFL kicker Al Del Greco and Cowboys offensive lineman Larry Allen, played in the 1967 game and was head coach of the South team in 1980. TOMLIN'S TENURE: The Dolphins, who recently interviewed Mike Tomlin for their vacant defensive coordinator's job, weren't the only team interested in the Bucs' secondary coach.

The Denver Broncos, who are looking for a defensive backs coach, also came calling for Tomlin early this week. Tomlin opted instead to sign a one-year deal with the Bucs. Roy Cummings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
A lot of backs have fumblitis early in thier careers, and luckily how to not fumble the ball is something that can usually be TAUGHT to a player doesnt have to be a natural talent. Most fumbles come because the player is trying to be ricky and switch the ball around while running or holding the ball out away from thier body while running, so just have to teach to protect the ball better. So yes I would still give up a 2nd rounder for a guy who can rush over 1300 yards a season and who I can teach to control the ball more.

seesred

Reaction score
I to would love to see Henry out in the desert. Don't forget many of his fumbles came in Buffalo not known for it's great weather.

GBR

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Disgruntled Buffalo Bills RB Travis Henry remains confident he'll work out a trade to another team this winter, but his chances of landing in Tampa Bay might be slim.
Though Bucs coach Jon Gruden has expressed interest in the Frostproof High product, two NFL team executives told the Tribune this week the Bucs are among teams shying away from Henry.

The reason is not necessarily the second-round draft pick the Bills are believed to be asking for, but Henry's past fumbling problems.

``He's a nice player, but he puts the ball on the ground a lot,'' one NFC team executive said. ``I don't think he was too bad last year, but his history in the league says he gives it up a lot.''

Henry didn't fumble while touching the ball 104 times this season, but he had five fumbles during the 2001 season, 11 in 2002 and seven in 2003.

Henry also ran for more than 1,300 yards during the 2002 and 2003 seasons and is considered one of the league's better young backs because he is improving dramatically as a pass catcher.

The Dolphins appear to be the team most interested in trading for Henry, but they don't have a second-round pick to send to the Bills. Other teams expressing interest are Oakland and Arizona.

One thing to keep in mind is that Gruden has to be the worst talent evaluator since Coach Mac. I hope this article is true so that the Bills will then only be able to ask for a third rounder, which would be a steal.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Fumbling can be coached out of a player. Dude is always fighting for extra yds, that's why I think he puts the ball on the ground alot.

I'm surpirsed that TB isn't intreasted. But considering the reports that Gruden has man love for Carnell (sp?) Williams. I guess that is why they aren't intreasted in Henry.

I had pretty much thought that TB would swoop in with a lower pick and steal Henry away from us.

BigRed

Cardinals for Life
Reaction score
I'd rather look at Droughns. He's younger and faster.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redsz said:
Williams. I guess that is why they aren't intreasted in Henry.

I had pretty much thought that TB would swoop in with a lower pick and steal Henry away from us.

They still very well might. This could be nothing more than rhetoric to get Buffalo to drop their asking price.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
BigRed said:
I'd rather look at Droughns. He's younger and faster.

He is a system back. No way would I trade a 1st and or a 2nd (that's what DEN is asking) for that type of back.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
They still very well might. This could be nothing more than rhetoric to get Buffalo to drop their asking price.

Good point. I actualy think Henry would be a good fit for TB. But I would hope he ended up here.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The problem lies in our running game. Our 0-line is a huge part of it, so lets get some FA's linemen who are strong and smart, then worry about a RB.

BigRed

Cardinals for Life
Reaction score
Redsz said:
He is a system back. No way would I trade a 1st and or a 2nd (that's what DEN is asking) for that type of back.
I didn't know they wanted that much for him. I wouldn't give that much either.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
I don't think anyone will make a trade for either Henry or Bennett until the backs in free agency have been signed. And it may not happen until the draft. Anyway, the closer we get to the draft, the more their value will drop. At that point, we may be able to pick up either guy for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Rocco said:
I don't think anyone will make a trade for either Henry or Bennett until the backs in free agency have been signed. And it may not happen until the draft. Anyway, the closer we get to the draft, the more their value will drop. At that point, we may be able to pick up either guy for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Bennett probobly, not Henry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingman