Breaking News: Suns near deal with Matt Barnes

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
good signing. didn't see this one coming. no risk (given salary), some upside. this is finally a good sign. hopefully the fact that he had to sign for min isn't foreshadowing of a poor season to come. that said, i'm happy with this one.

I thought signing an obscenely overpaid contract was foreshadowing of a poor season to come. :D

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. His mother died because of cancer..

That's sad. I can't imagine how hard that would be to stay focused with that happening. Cancer is very hard on the entire family because of time it takes and the pain of the patient.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Awesome news - my jaw dropped when I got the text message from the Suns last night. If they can get Dragic or a decent vet backup for Nash, and bring back Skinner, I will be a happy man.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love this guy. While watching the warriors games the last couple of years, I kept saying to myself, this is just the guy we need. I have no doubt he'd fit into our old Mikey D system. If we don't change much, he should fit in very, very nicely.

This will be one of those pickups that might be low on the radar, but will pay huge dividends. I can't believe the Warriors would let him get away. I felt he was a pretty important piece to making that warriors team sizzle, and I feel much better about us going against them without Barnes on their side.

Takes it to the hole hard, plays with great intensity. Probably my favorite player to watch on the warriors. Great signing. I didn't want to read others' posts about him until I posted my own thoughts, so if we got him for the vet min, then The Dark Knight wasn't the best thing I 'saw' today (but was close).

Last edited:

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
It could be the Warriors saw Barnes as expendable with their signing of Turiaf (along with the extension of Pietrius) - a little more size in the frontcourt with no drop in the energy level.
I wholeheartedly agree except that Pietrus signed with Magic for the MLE. ;)

Last edited:

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
What did he have to say on Gambo and Ash? I got a text message from Sports 620 Ktar saying that he would be on G&A at 3:28pm.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
What did he have to say on Gambo and Ash? I got a text message from Sports 620 Ktar saying that he would be on G&A at 3:28pm.

Probably the same thing he said on his intro video on Suns.com.

mms://phxsuns.wmod.llnwd.net/a205/o2/barnes_080722.wmv

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
I still can't believe we got him by Veteran Minimal! God! Just 1.2M! Kerr must have some magic charm we don't know about.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Great signing.

Very pleased with this one, especially if his perimeter defence is better than Giricek's and three point shooting is better than Marion's. We need more energy and attitude on the wing.

I figure we only get him for one year but that's the way it goes with team payroll near the maximum.

Good luck this year Matt!

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Great signing.

Very pleased with this one, especially if his perimeter defence is better than Giricek's and three point shooting is better than Marion's. We need more energy and attitude on the wing.

I figure we only get him for one year but that's the way it goes with team payroll near the maximum.

Good luck this year Matt!

Matt is taking a gamble, but no one knows how long Hill will stay and both Shaq and Steve come off contract in 2010. If he plays well, he'll get some money.