Breaking News: Suns near deal with Matt Barnes

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. This is a good signing. This is a surprising signing. I think MB is probably using this year as a spring board for a new contract next season. I like this guys energy and after watching him in the playoffs....I am shocked another team didn't sign this guy for more money. He is worth more IMO then a minimum deal.

It's a win win because the Suns get a younger athletic guy at that position that brings energy from what I have seen. MB probably sets himself off with a fatter contract after this coming season. MB is probably only a one and done guy with the Suns but still a good signing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good signing, but what the hell with the back up PG?? Put some priority where it should be on backup PG!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the Suns still expect to sign Dragic as hinted in the above quotes. This would explain why Suns have seemingly been quiet of late on the PG front. At least I hope I'm right.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's a thug on the court.

We needed a thug. I was hoping for Artest, but Barnes brings a little bit of that.

bigfoot

Mystery solved.
Reaction score
Hurray for an actual addition to the roster!
He has that energy/nastiness about him that I hope will be contagious.

nowagimp

Reaction score
This is a great signing at the vet min, kudos to whomever conned Barnes into signing it(Porter?, Kerr?). I like Barnes at the SF, but he may not fill the role of shooter on some nights. The suns could still add a shooter, perhaps also at the vet min given the market. Or maybe tucker can be that shooter. Tucker certainly cant defend like barnes. Barnes is a very good team defender and he's tough, really fills a bench hole. Funny thing is he's probably one year too late in terms of his role in a suns championship. If the suns had acquired him last year, who knows. Im really liking the drying of of the free agent money, it may work in the suns favor again. Perhaps this can be the first good move of many in the post DA era.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Not much new to add.

I'm surprised as anyone that he came for the vets min. I know his playing time wasn't consistent in GS last year, but I didn't think his value fell that much.

Great signing.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Wow, the Suns made a great signing! This might be the shooter we needed. Definitely helped GS in the playoffs. Hopefully we can get that help.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great signing. Barnes always reminded me of Doug Christie(both looks and game) while he played for the Kings minus the crazy wife. Good job Kerr!

Updated line-up.

1. Nash, ?, Strawberry(not signed yet)
2. Bell, Barbs
3. Hill, Barnes, Tucker
4. Stoudemire, Diaw
5. O'Neal, Lopez

As some already stated, I think this signing moves Diaw back to power forward. He'll likely be the first big man off the bench for who ever is in foul trouble. We won't find a back-up big man better than Diaw on the market in our price range. I imagine we'll round out our frontcourt with someone like Skinner or Marks. My bet is on Marks because he brings something different than Lopez. It doesn't matter though because he won't play. Marks + a back-up point and we'll be done in free agency.

Boomer

Rookie
Reaction score
I dont want to bring anyone down, but being as though I live in the Bay Area I saw a lot of Warriors games last season. Barnes looked completely lost on the flooor last year and wasnt near the level of play he had in the 2007 year. I think he's a great low cost, high reward type of signing, but I dont want you folks to get too carried away with your excitement. He looked confused at times last year on the floor and Nellie lost faith in him. Hopefully he can turn it around with the Suns, as he plays with the type of mentality that fans love, a "gamer" you may say.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
I dont want to bring anyone down, but being as though I live in the Bay Area I saw a lot of Warriors games last season. Barnes looked completely lost on the flooor last year and wasnt near the level of play he had in the 2007 year. I think he's a great low cost, high reward type of signing, but I dont want you folks to get too carried away with your excitement. He looked confused at times last year on the floor and Nellie lost faith in him. Hopefully he can turn it around with the Suns, as he plays with the type of mentality that fans love, a "gamer" you may say.

Nellie's coaching last year confused me too.

As for being a "gamer"...right you are. I'll bet Majerle is amped about having him.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Didn't Barnes have some kind of death in the family or some kind of distraction last year?

nowagimp

Reaction score
Is he any better than Jumaine Jones?

No.

Matt Barnes is a better defender of the wing position, jumaine was too slow to defend the wing when he arrived in Phx. Matt barnes is also not at the end of the road the way jones was whent he suns got him. Barnes is still pretty young(28) so I expect more energy.

As for Barnes year with the warriors last year, the whole team was confused. With azibuke and Pietrus getting more minutes, Barnes may have been a bit lost in the shuffle. Barnes is needed on this suns team alot more than that warriors teams needed him.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am excited that they got Barnes, but it seems like all of you just keep picturing how awesome he was in game 1 against Utah. That was over a year ago, there is a reason why he is signing for the min. That being said, you can't really do any better than this as far as vet. min. guys go, so I have to say that Kerr did a good job here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
good signing. didn't see this one coming. no risk (given salary), some upside. this is finally a good sign. hopefully the fact that he had to sign for min isn't foreshadowing of a poor season to come. that said, i'm happy with this one.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am as hard on this front office as anyone but this is absolutely a fantastic signing. I am stunned. I loved watching him in the playoffs. High energy guy who flies to the hoop. Those saying Marjele will like him are correct because he has that old "Thunder Dan" (pre 3 point bomber Dan) style game.

Errntknght

Reaction score
It could be the Warriors saw Barnes as expendable with their signing of Turiaf (along with the extension of Pietrius) - a little more size in the frontcourt with no drop in the energy level.

I'd rather have Barnes but then I haven't seen him play much since the Dallas series the year before last.