Breaking Bad (AMC)

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came off as a string of teasers designed to lure viewers back next season, if that ever happens.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Donald story line made no impression at all?

Nothing new. I already thought the guy was flawed. But then isn't everyone in this cast? This series seems to be about human tragedy on "steroids". Although I find this series very compelling and worthy, it is not Deadwood, where even the flawed had redeeming qualities and gave some sense of hope. This cast is spiraling down the plumbing. Just wondering how much lower it can go on the depressing scale.

I find myself comparing this to Weeds, John From Cincinnati and Deadwood. I rank it #4 on my entertainment scale. It is very dark.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
The finale was fantastic. It answered a few questions while opening up a ton for the next season.
I don't think we are done with Donald. I believe he will be back in the 3rd season. Also how about John De Lancie's acting? That scene where he drove up to the condo to pick up Jane and see the ambulance, the way his face just dropped. Absolutely amazing.
On the great acting, Anna Gunn, in the scene where she was exposing all of Walt's lies what just great. I loved the way that Walt was grabbing Holly's hand. And of course Aaron Paul was fantastic. From the way he tried to revive Jane to the phone call he made to Walt to tell her he killed Jane. I really hope he wins an Emmy this year. I think he was the most surprising part of this years show. To make a drug user, with no redeeming qualities a sympathetic character was just outstanding.
As for the show and what to look forward to next year. Do you think Gus knew Walt was related to Hank? What type of trouble will that cause? Also, how will Jesse act clean? I get the feeling he is going to become like Walt, ruthless. My reasoning was the fact when something bad happened he always fell back to drugs. Without them I think he will try to get even. It could bring major conflict between him and Walt.
Finally the biggest story is Walt and Skyler. When is Skyler going to know what Walt has been doing. What will she do when she finally hears the full truth. My biggest question is how will she tell Walt Jr. why his dad is being kicked out. He has been saying how great of a guy Walt is. Walt Jr. is by far the least developed character in the series and I hope that in season 3 we find out some more about him.
What ever happens this was a great way to end this season and leaves me wanting so much more, which is the way to make a show. Season 3 can't come soon enough.

Last edited:

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I think Skyler could keep the secret. She is afterall not going to report the millions stolen by her employer. Granted it may be because she is going to move on a relationship with him.

I don't understand the whole plane crash deal. I know why and because of who, and maybe Donald is involved more, but the plane crash was a let down for me. Especially after the speculating the board did on the meaning of it and the fact that they alluded to something big happening because of it.

As the show unfolded from that opening scene last night, I was hoping that part of the plane would damage the garage and Skyler would find the cash.

Good call on the acting. I was really impressed with Jesse and Skyler.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand the whole plane crash deal. I know why and because of who, and maybe Donald is involved more, but the plane crash was a let down for me. Especially after the speculating the board did on the meaning of it and the fact that they alluded to something big happening because of it.

The more time I have had to think about this episode and the series on a whole, the ending becomes better, at least to me.
Everything in this show happens because of something Walt did. For most of the series he has skated away unscathed. But not anymore. Because of his lies his wife takes the kids and leaves him. I loved the way in the doctors office Skyler kept asking questions to see if he would be fine by himself. I should have known why she was asking them during that scene, but I was so oblivious at the time.
Then because he forced Jesse to spread their 'turf' Combo was killed which sent Jesse into a downward spiral back to drugs. That then lead Jane to fall off the wagon and introduce Jesse to heroin. Which in turn leads Walt to try to help Jesse which ends up killing Jane, whose father becomes distracted and lets 2 planes crash over Walt's house. Big coincidence? Of course, but this is tv and we have to allow them to take a few liberties.
I think people are disappointed because of the rampant speculation that everyone had, yet everyone was wrong. Some were expecting a shootout but there has only been one this entire series (Hank and Tuco). Would there be a big explosion? As far as I can remember there has been three (When Walt blows up the guys car, when Walt cooks up that rock that exploded in Tuco's office and the generator out in the desert). Everyone, including myself, thought something would happen based off other shows we knew and figured Breaking Bad would follow, but this writing staff continues to find new ways of doing things. I think this was a fantastic way to end the season and leads into a third season which has a really high bar set.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more time I have had to think about this episode and the series on a whole, the ending becomes better, at least to me.
Everything in this show happens because of something Walt did. For most of the series he has skated away unscathed. But not anymore. Because of his lies his wife takes the kids and leaves him. I loved the way in the doctors office Skyler kept asking questions to see if he would be fine by himself. I should have known why she was asking them during that scene, but I was so oblivious at the time.
Then because he forced Jesse to spread their 'turf' Combo was killed which sent Jesse into a downward spiral back to drugs. That then lead Jane to fall off the wagon and introduce Jesse to heroin. Which in turn leads Walt to try to help Jesse which ends up killing Jane, whose father becomes distracted and lets 2 planes crash over Walt's house. Big coincidence? Of course, but this is tv and we have to allow them to take a few liberties.
I think people are disappointed because of the rampant speculation that everyone had, yet everyone was wrong. Some were expecting a shootout but there has only been one this entire series (Hank and Tuco). Would there be a big explosion? As far as I can remember there has been three (When Walt blows up the guys car, when Walt cooks up that rock that exploded in Tuco's office and the generator out in the desert). Everyone, including myself, thought something would happen based off other shows we knew and figured Breaking Bad would follow, but this writing staff continues to find new ways of doing things. I think this was a fantastic way to end the season and leads into a third season which has a really high bar set.

I totally agree, and the plane crash was like the culmination of everything that Walt has done up until now.

In fact, it's beautifully ironic that it happened and he has no idea that he was the root cause of all of it. Sure, not directly, but his actions led to it.

I agree as well that the writers here make ABSOLUTELY NOTHING predictable. Who could have guessed it was a plane crash?

Btw, did the roof of the vehicles in the beginning of the episode lead anyone to realize it was a plane crash? Because I purposely didn't pause the show and look it up :)

And since I was a week behind and didn't want to visit this thread, last week when Walt let Jane die...was one of the most haunting scenes I've ever watched on TV...ever. Period.

Love, love, love this show.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I totally agree, and the plane crash was like the culmination of everything that Walt has done up until now.

In fact, it's beautifully ironic that it happened and he has no idea that he was the root cause of all of it. Sure, not directly, but his actions led to it.

I agree as well that the writers here make ABSOLUTELY NOTHING predictable. Who could have guessed it was a plane crash?

Btw, did the roof of the vehicles in the beginning of the episode lead anyone to realize it was a plane crash? Because I purposely didn't pause the show and look it up :)

And since I was a week behind and didn't want to visit this thread, last week when Walt let Jane die...was one of the most haunting scenes I've ever watched on TV...ever. Period.

Love, love, love this show.

Seeing the NTSB logo on the van did not even register to me at the beginning of the show. No idea how it was related.
Then there was the OMG moment when you realized what just happened!
Brilliant television IMHO.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Seeing the NTSB logo on the van did not even register to me at the beginning of the show. No idea how it was related.
Then there was the OMG moment when you realized what just happened!
Brilliant television IMHO.

I put it all together with the NTSB logo, and when Donald went back to work I knew he was an air traffic controller.

Which is why I say "meh"

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I put it all together with the NTSB logo, and when Donald went back to work I knew he was an air traffic controller.

Which is why I say "meh"

You're just money!

:D

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not Walt's fault.

FMPOV, the writers have decided to make Walt the pivot man and focal point for the rest of the cast's problems,demons, and screw ups. Walt is the one with the fewest flaws.

Jane was Donald's and Jesse's problem, not Walt's. Donald decided to give Jane one more night to screw up instead of dragging her out of there. Jesse shot up with her one more time. Walt was there by coincidence.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Jane was Donald's and Jesse's problem, not Walt's. Donald decided to give Jane one more night to screw up instead of dragging her out of there. Jesse shot up with her one more time. Walt was there by coincidence.

But Jane wouldn't have gone back to drugs if it weren't for Walt. She was doing well with her NA meetings and becoming sober (don't forget she had been clean for 18 months). She went back to drugs because she felt Jesse needed someone to be with because he was so effected by Combo's death. Combo was on that corner because Walt wanted to expand the territory. Almost everything in this series you can pin back on Walt.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But Jane wouldn't have gone back to drugs if it weren't for Walt. She was doing well with her NA meetings and becoming sober (don't forget she had been clean for 18 months). She went back to drugs because she felt Jesse needed someone to be with because he was so effected by Combo's death. Combo was on that corner because Walt wanted to expand the territory. Almost everything in this series you can pin back on Walt.

Nope. Jane didn't need Walt as an excuse. It was Jesse who offered her opportunity and wanted to use in her presence. She had numerous relapses in eight years according to her father. Just like Gus said, you don't need a junkie for a business partner. Jesse was using long before the partnership with Walt and so was Jane. It is plain and simple , junkies don't rehab well, if at all. Everyone and everything is their excuse for relapse. Walt is not the reason, just an excuse.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Not Walt's fault.

FMPOV, the writers have decided to make Walt the pivot man and focal point for the rest of the cast's problems,demons, and screw ups. Walt is the one with the fewest flaws.

Interesting viewpoint. I think it's the exact opposite. Like others said in this thread, I view the show's plot as a series of repercussions for a once good man 'breaking bad(ly and slowly)'.

Basically, over the course of the series, Walt has made a series of in-the-moment decisions that ranged from ethically dubious to just-plain-wrong. And each bad choice built and created the circumstances for the next bad choice. IMO, the ultimate 'bad choice' he has made to date was letting Jesse die. He fully crossed over to the dark side on that one, and the repercussion was a plane crashing into his house.

What makes it such great tv is that the actor playing Walt sells the moral ambiguity he struggles with at each new decision-point. He makes you buy into the idea that the ethically wrong choice might actually be the right choice, because we believe (still) he's a fundamentally good guy.

Of course, throughout the show, Walt could have made the ethically correct decision, resolved most of the tension and gotten back on the right path. But then there would be no drama. Only time with boring lawyers and plea-bargains. :)

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting viewpoint. I think it's the exact opposite. Like others said in this thread, I view the show's plot as a series of repercussions for a once good man 'breaking bad(ly and slowly)'.

Basically, over the course of the series, Walt has made a series of in-the-moment decisions that ranged from ethically dubious to just-plain-wrong. And each bad choice built and created the circumstances for the next bad choice. IMO, the ultimate 'bad choice' he has made to date was letting Jesse die. He fully crossed over to the dark side on that one, and the repercussion was a plane crashing into his house.

What makes it such great tv is that the actor playing Walt sells the moral ambiguity he struggles with at each new decision-point. He makes you buy into the idea that the ethically wrong choice might actually be the right choice, because we believe (still) he's a fundamentally good guy.

Of course, throughout the show, Walt could have made the ethically correct decision, resolved most of the tension and gotten back on the right path. But then there would be no drama. Only time with boring lawyers and plea-bargains. :)

The way I see it, Walt is expected to take care of everyone's problems. He can't do it all. Jessie was beyond saving and she had already screwed him and everyone else over, big time. She was expendable.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
The way I see it, Walt is expected to take care of everyone's problems. He can't do it all. Jessie was beyond saving and she had already screwed him and everyone else over, big time. She was expendable.

True that most the other characters have their own problems, but Walt keeps creating his own problems, which become the main plot points that drive the show. Those bad choices just bring him more deeply into everyone elses problems. He does try to fix some of those problems in addition to his own, but that just screws things up worse.

To me, the death of the junkie girl (I think her name was Jane actually...Jessie is Walt's druggie partner, right?) is an example. Sure, he claimed to have pushed back on her blackmail attempts to get Jessie's cut of the money to 'protect Jessie', but the tone and acting left me thinking he did it to keep the money and keep control over Jessie and the drug operation. And to lower his risk of getting caught.

Then, he's faced with one of the most incredibly stark ethical choices I have ever seen on tv - let a person die on their own vomit 3 feet in front of him, or reach out and roll her over, saving her life. He just stood there. I think this setup was very intentional by the show. He didn't shoot her. He didn't actively set out to kill her. He made the choice not to act, which allowed her to die. That's a classic slippery slope ethical decision that I think will have ramifications in Walt's future actions.

Part of the brilliant acting is that he shows the conflict in himself, between self-delusions of 'doing the right thing for Jessie' and the grim reality that he is now a minor drug lord protecting his turf, profits and risk of getting caught. All at the expense of other people's lives if necessary.

That willingness to disregard the value of a life has also escalated throughout the show. First, it was purely in self-defense. Then, it was sort of 'extended self-defense'. With Jane, it crossed an ethical line and became a matter of convenience - the in-the-moment easiest way to make a problem go away. The next step might see him actively killing someone directly to further his own ends.

Again, I just read this whole show as a very dark, brilliantly acted meditation on how good people really can go bad. It's a question asked all the time in a historical context ("why did good Germans support the Nazis, etc"). I think this show uses a contemporary setting to explore those themes.

This season should go far to validate or dispute this viewpoint. Does Walt pull back from the dark side? Does he continue to pay the price? Does he go further into his own heart of darkness? Is he ultimately good or bad or something in between? Can he find a fair redemption?

Last edited: