OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys should change the tread title, very misleading to some!!!!

Only when you have reading comprehension issues?? Let me guess:

You must be registered for see images attach

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's finally right about something. ;)

However he shouldn't worry about temp so much. As long as it stays in the 225-285 range all is good. Constantly worrying about temp is a perfection thing that all men go through. Although it's hard for most men to get over, maintaining the perfect temp isn't necessary with BBQ. Just fire up your charcoal and check every 30 minutes to make sure things are still good. Brian must learn to trust his inner BBQ instincts.

:cheers:

225 to 285??? I guess maybe depending on what your smoking, but temps above 225 will lead to seriously dry meat. Ive done chickens and stuff above 285, but do shoulders at 210, briskets at 190, butts at 190, bacon at 150, hams at 190, sausages at 170. Ive used both electric, gas supported and old school smokers. Sorry, but the difference is minute. The only real difference comes in chip management and type, and of course, the size of the guys ego.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
225 to 285??? I guess maybe depending on what your smoking, but temps above 225 will lead to seriously dry meat. Ive done chickens and stuff above 285, but do shoulders at 210, briskets at 190, butts at 190, bacon at 150, hams at 190, sausages at 170.

Hogwash! I've smoked salmon, chickens, turkeys, beef ribs, pork ribs and pork butts and had the temp vary from 220-260 over those cooks. They ended up anything but dry. The only way you end up with dry meat is if you over cook it. There is no need to fuss over exact temps for typical BBQ items. Now Bacon and Sausages I have no idea about.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
I keep my ribs right around 235-250 for six hours and they come out great. Very moist.

Shoulders on the other hand would be 210, and alot longer of course.

I think what you said about chip management is correct. I was explaining to my sister that putting chips on every hour won't give you the same effect of the meat being cooked purely with wood. My smoker is always being fed a constant diet of hickory.

I've had so much smoke coming out of that thing that I was genuinely worried a couple of times that my neighbors were going to call the fire department. The smoker I ran at work was the same way, you could smell it driving down Deer Valley Rd.

No way does an electric smoker do that.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep my ribs right around 235-250 for six hours and they come out great. Very moist.

Shoulders on the other hand would be 210, and alot longer of course.

I think what you said about chip management is correct. I was explaining to my sister that putting chips on every hour won't give you the same effect of the meat being cooked purely with wood. My smoker is always being fed a constant diet of hickory.

I've had so much smoke coming out of that thing that I was genuinely worried a couple of times that my neighbors were going to call the fire department. The smoker I ran at work was the same way, you could smell it driving down Deer Valley Rd.

No way does an electric smoker do that.
Pfft. Our smoker is just about never (if ever) without smoke...lots of it.

I still don't understand the difference between wood & wood chips. Wood chips are not wood??????

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Pfft. Our smoker is just about never (if ever) without smoke...lots of it.

I still don't understand the difference between wood & wood chips. Wood chips are not wood??????

That's what Schutd was reffering to. Generally speaking, wood chips burn up faster, so you end up with periods where there is no smoke only heat.

If you keep tabs on it enough and add chips to keep it constantly smoking, yer good to go.

Electric smokers are still stupid.

;)

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what Schutd was reffering to. Generally speaking, wood chips burn up faster, so you end up with periods where there is no smoke only heat.

If you keep tabs on it enough and add chips to keep it constantly smoking, yer good to go.

Electric smokers are still stupid.

;)

Electric rules! Wood chunks WAY better than stupid chips.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
linderbee and brian are siblings? learn somethin new every day.
Yep. I would like to point out that I am the younger, smarter, better looking one. Brian is the taller, stronger, smelly one.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hogwash! I've smoked salmon, chickens, turkeys, beef ribs, pork ribs and pork butts and had the temp vary from 220-260 over those cooks. They ended up anything but dry. The only way you end up with dry meat is if you over cook it. There is no need to fuss over exact temps for typical BBQ items. Now Bacon and Sausages I have no idea about.

Not hogwash. Lower is better. Always. And temperature does matter.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not hogwash. Lower is better. Always. And temperature does matter.

Blah! I like to smoke my chicken at 260-285. Gives me cripsier skin than when I smoke it in the 225 range. Plus I've noticed ZERO difference in the moisture of the chicken when cooked at those different ranges. Smoked a turkey last year for Thanksgiving at those temps and people said it was the moistest turkey they have ever had.

When I smoke pork products I like to keep the temp somewhere between 225-240. Worrying about small fluctuations in temp is a waste of time. Not once have I ever had problems with dry meat.

Last edited:

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Blah! I like to smoke my chicken at 260-285. Gives me cripsier skin than when I smoke it in the 225 range. Plus I've noticed ZERO difference in the moisture of the chicken when cooked at those different ranges. Smoked a turkey last year for Thanksgiving at those temps and people said it was the moistest turkey they have ever had.

When I smoke pork products I like to keep the temp somewhere between 225-240. Worrying about small fluctuations in temp is a waste of time. Not once have I ever had problems with dry meat.

Re-Read..... "Ive done chickens and stuff above 285, but do shoulders at 210, briskets at 190, butts at 190, bacon at 150, hams at 190, sausages at 170."

Just use those temps right there. Thank me later.... Heh.

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So I finally got an electric smoker a couple weeks ago. It was free to me and an opportunity to see if I would enjoy smoking and eating various meats. So far I love it and can see myself upgrading to a better unit in the future.

Today I have spareribs, beef ribs and atomic buffalo turds going with a mix of hickory and apple wood. The ribs have a dry rub made by big bob Gibson from Decatur, Alabama which I put on last night.

I wish I would have put them on earlier because it smells great. I'm still experimenting with the type and amount of wood I use but so far this is a great hobby.

Reaction score
So I finally got an electric smoker a couple weeks ago. It was free to me and an opportunity to see if I would enjoy smoking and eating various meats. So far I love it and can see myself upgrading to a better unit in the future.

Today I have spareribs, beef ribs and atomic buffalo turds going with a mix of hickory and apple wood. The ribs have a dry rub made by big bob Gibson from Decatur, Alabama which I put on last night.

I wish I would have put them on earlier because it smells great. I'm still experimenting with the type and amount of wood I use but so far this is a great hobby.

Mmmm. Big Bob Gibson's. This white sauce recipe is awesome. I agree with Brian btw. Real wood smoker all the way.

http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/big-bob-gibsons-chicken-white-barbecue-sauce-recipe-fw0611

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score