15 thoughts - Panthers game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I looked forward to see their reaction after losing to the Lions. Talk about disappointment.

2 – Bad defensive play and bad defensive playcalling is a horrible combination.

3 – Points from Next Gen Stats measuring the entire NFL:

Kyler Murray is one of the least aggressive quarterbacks.

Kenyan Drake is one of the least effective runningbacks.

DeAndre Hopkins and Dan Arnold are among the receivers that creates most separation before the catch.

Christian Kirk has the third lowest catch percentage.

4 – Deionte Thompson certainly was involved a lot, huh? Sometimes very bad plays, sometimes fairly good plays, but seemingly always in the picture.

5 – Was Mason Cole better than Lamont Gaillard? It is an honest question. I am leaning toward “yes”, but I don’t think it was clear and obvious.

6 – It is on my radar how often Kingsbury takes the blame for things that goes wrong. Either you are not good enough, or it is not always your fault. One thing or the other. This way just seem indifferent.

7 – Jordan Thomas – the tight end that caught the first touchdown – is a fascinating player, I think. They picked him up after Houston cut him, and for the first two weeks they made him one of their protected players on the practice squad (they have three each week). They obviously see something in him. I think that is exciting.

8 – Why oh why was Curtis Riley playing? I am not sure I have ever seen worse safety-play for the Cards.

9 – Hey! They cut down on the penalties!

10 – Did you also get déjà vu to the 2015 NFC Championship Game in the same stadium in terms of having good expectations, and up end being completely destroyed?

11 – For a very long time I have noticed that several fans are not that impressed with Budda Baker. I guess you know a players value when he is missing, huh?

12 – Interesting that Leki Fotu got significantly more snaps than Rashad Lawrence after being a healthy scratch for two weeks, while Lawrence has been playing well.

13 – Have you ever seen Fitz do something like that? I don’t think I have.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

14 – The pass rush-version of Chandler Jones was yet again a joy to watch. Man, that must have been a rough feeling for their left tackle.

15 – It is hard to come up with 15 thoughts when the only relevant point is “the Cards suck!” Anyway, the game was on in Denmark at dinner time, and I had made a stew.

For four people you need:

Ingredients

2 oz bacon chopped into 1/4" wide strips

1 Tbsp olive oil to sautee

1 lbs beef stew meat

1 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste

1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground

1/8 cup all-purpose flour

1 cups good dry red wine

0.5 lb mushrooms thickly sliced 4 carrots peeled and cut into 1/2" thick pieces

0.5 medium yellow onion diced

2 garlic cloves minced

0.5 Tbsp tomato paste

2 cups low sodium beef broth or beef stock

1 bay leaves 1/2 tsp dried thyme

0.5 lb small potatoes new potatoes, or fingerling, halved or quartered

Instructions

In a large, oven-proof pot, sauté bacon over medium heat until golden brown and fat is released. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a separate bowl.

While bacon is cooking, place beef in a large mixing bowl and season with 1/2 Tbsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Sprinkle beef with 1/4 cup flour and toss to combine and evenly coat beef. Transfer beef in 2 batches into the hot bacon fat and cook over med/high heat, until beef is browned (3 min per side). Add olive oil if needed. Transfer browned beef to the bowl with bacon.

Add 2 cups wine to the pot and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom to deglaze the pot. Add sliced mushrooms and simmer over medium heat about 10 min.

Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium/high heat and add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add sliced carrots, diced onion, and 4 chopped garlic cloves, and saute 4 min. Add 1 Tbsp tomato paste and saute another minute. Transfer veggies to the soup pot.

Add 4 cups beef broth, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Return beef and bacon to the pot then add potatoes. Stir to combine and make sure potatoes are submerged in liquid. Cover with lid and bake at 325˚F oven for 1 hour and 45 min.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Love the stew recipe. Don't love: Kenyan Drake is one of the least effective runningbacks.

I have another thread open, but that's what people were harping on in the offseason... his efficiency. Now that's not even there.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gandhi, depression has cut down my attention span. But, one of your thoughts caught my attention, and that is #5. I'll start by saying that I have NO IDEA who is better, and I see you went with Cole. My only rebuttal is that we made ONE change on the OL this week with the result that our running attack was really bad. In fairness we gave up zero sacks. My bottom line is that this is something worth watching, going forward. My hope is that if we stay with Cole is that his second game back will be better than his first.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As always, Nice post Gandhi.

Yes indeed Thompson.

Yes on terrible defensive play calling, game plan and execution.

Cole was manhandled by Derrick Brown on more than one occasion.

Don’t quit on Drake just yet. Reach back in your memory banks and remember David Johnson’s many duck and drop runs last year. Drake runs hard and the run calls have to impose our will to bloody a lip once in a while.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
4. I thought Thompson was a bright spot in a dim afternoon. He showed some inexperience but nice potential.

5. I take Gaillard. He has less experience but plays equally well. He should have more upside.

8. I’d take an out of shape Tony Jefferson over Riley. He couldn’t be worse.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another concern at the moment is the regression in the O line. Kugler was supposed to be working his magic, but the run blocking has really been poor all along the line. Especially from Sweezy and both Cole/Gaillard.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Another concern at the moment is the regression in the O line. Kugler was supposed to be working his magic, but the run blocking has really been poor all along the line. Especially from Sweezy and both Cole/Gaillard.
This group is playing to their talent. Teams are so focused on taking away Kyler's running and the short passing game, almost impossible to hit on runs consistently.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Don't love: Kenyan Drake is one of the least effective runningbacks.

Again according to Next Gen Stats, among all runningbacks, Drake has the third most yards before crossing the line of scrimmage. I understand that obviously has something to do with the blocking as well, but that is really, really not good.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gandhi, depression has cut down my attention span.

I am so sorry to hear that, Garth. You are in my thoughts.

But, one of your thoughts caught my attention, and that is #5. I'll start by saying that I have NO IDEA who is better, and I see you went with Cole. My only rebuttal is that we made ONE change on the OL this week with the result that our running attack was really bad. In fairness we gave up zero sacks. My bottom line is that this is something worth watching, going forward. My hope is that if we stay with Cole is that his second game back will be better than his first.

I think one important thing is that the Panthers’ defensive line played really well. But the Niners and Washington has great defensive lines as well, and it has not been the same problem with them, so I don’t know how much weight the argument has. No, you are right. It is a very real issue. As Harry mention later in this thread, maybe we should all hope for Gaillard for the “simple” reason that he probably has more upside, and since the difference is not significant, maybe you go with the most potential?

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Don’t quit on Drake just yet. Reach back in your memory banks and remember David Johnson’s many duck and drop runs last year. Drake runs hard and the run calls have to impose our will to bloody a lip once in a while.

You are right, Slanidrac. And blocking is obviously an important part of a runningbacks success, plus that I believe a lot in Kingsbury’s ability to scheme run games.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard