I bought a smoker

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super excited. Lately have found my favorite hot wings by far are at the hub bar and grill and they are smoked wings. between that and some smoked brisket I had lately, decided I wanted a smoker.

Knowing me, if I had to tend to it every 30 minutes, I would rarely use it. Because of this, I ponied up and bought a lower end Traeger electric pellet smoker. LAst night I seasoned it and I most likely won't actually go hard with it until super bowl sunday but I am stoked. With the Traeger, it actually connects to my phone over wifi and I can monitor meat temp, grill temp and more from my phone along with having timers and auto shut off features. During seasoning I had to do 350 for 30 mins and then 450 for 30 mins. Once the first timer ran out, I just upped it to 450 from my phone and continued hanging out inside. Super cool. I should be able to do full smokes without even being home IE: if I have a 12 hour smoke recipe, I can throw it in in the morning, work all day and still come home to it just being done or close to it. If before going home I get alerted the meaty is done, I can always change it to "keep wARM" and it would adjust to 150 degrees until further notice.

Most likely for sthe super bowl ill be making a giant pile of smoked wings, smoked bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers and then maybe some other vegetables and whatnot.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll make sure I make tasty food before I have all of you over ;)

Elindholm isnt invited anymore though. No politics at my BBQs!!!!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Welcome to the club. Traegers are pretty nice.

I've been kicking around my old Weber Smoky Mountain for the past dozen years - definitely lower on the tech side

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying the camp chef woodwind pellet smoker when I move to Colorado next month.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying the camp chef woodwind pellet smoker when I move to Colorado next month.

you moving for work? ill be out there in june to see brit floyd at red rocks

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If he takes BRR with him to Colorado, DCR can start a thread called, "I brought a smoker."

:D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We are moving because we are finished with Arizona. Summers are too hot and we can move elsewhere so we are.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a few drinks and I can't find my guitar thread. I pulled out the Kramer custom for the first time in a year or two two and fell in love with it again. I probaby still don't have time for it but man it felt good. Sorry I still haven't mailed the pedal to you yeahbut. I suck at life sometimes.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I am throwing three 9lb pork shoulders on the smoker. I am reading 60-90 minutes per lb at 225. I need it ready at 1pm or before on saturday and it needs to sit for an hour after cooking. that means anywhere between 7pm and 11pm tonight it needs to go on so I will probably go with 7pm to allow for more time and if it is done early, no big deal, I can reheat shredded pork in the oven or something.

I have had my smoker for a short time now and have only smoked wings, bacon, ribs and tri tip on it. These are the biggest cuts of meat by far so hoping for the best.

I only have mesquite pellets right now. Frys would only let me buy 2 shoulders so I am going back today to buy the third and hoping they have traeger pellets there as I would like to try a hickory and cherry wood blend. I still need a rub too and dont really have the time to make my own on this batch.

shoulders are 99 cents a pound right now and pulled por will freeze very well to make bbq sandwiches, carnitas or others stuff in the future :)

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
If you have a Costco membership they are pretty good for BBQ meats

If you have 3 shoulders on there, give yourself plenty of time.

Pork is very forgiving and the longer you can let it render, the better.

I usually cook them 2 at a time and allow for a minimum of 18 hours

Pork hits the stall and it's a guessing game when it will come out. You can always foil at that point to accelerate it.

I've had some where it's finished more then an hour early, just wrap them in foil and find a good place to rest them

I usually put a couple of towels in a cooler and rest in there if it's going to be a while - they'll hold heat for a long time until you pull them

Have fun with it as pulled pork is awesome

I have a brisket going that I started last night. Bringing to a camping trip this weekend

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a Costco membership they are pretty good for BBQ meats

If you have 3 shoulders on there, give yourself plenty of time.

Pork is very forgiving and the longer you can let it render, the better.

I usually cook them 2 at a time and allow for a minimum of 18 hours

Pork hits the stall and it's a guessing game when it will come out. You can always foil at that point to accelerate it.

I've had some where it's finished more then an hour early, just wrap them in foil and find a good place to rest them

I usually put a couple of towels in a cooler and rest in there if it's going to be a while - they'll hold heat for a long time until you pull them

Have fun with it as pulled pork is awesome

I have a brisket going that I started last night. Bringing to a camping trip this weekend
18 hours at what temp?

I was tempted to put it in at 9pm to allow 15 hours max but also can check it at 12 hours 9am

planning for 18 hours would be 6pm tonight to noon tomorrow. but if they are somehow at 200 degrees at 6am, I might sleep and let them cook too long?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I usually try to keep it around 230, but dont get too concerned if the temps kick up to 250-270 for a small bit of time..... Pork is nice like that.

It's a bit difficult to let it cook too long.

Do you have any type of remote thermometer setup. I know the pellet grills hold temp well.

I have one that has a probe that clips to the grate and one that goes into the meat.

The is a remote receiver where you can set an alarm if the cooking temp falls out of range or if the meat gets too hot.

Mine went off as I was having trouble fine tuning the heat. It wasn't holding at 225, so I have it a bit of air and it climbed slowly up to 250. Alarm woke me up, went and made the adjustment and it settled and 230.

Here is the receiver view

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I usually try to keep it around 230, but dont get too concerned if the temps kick up to 250-270 for a small bit of time..... Pork is nice like that.

It's a bit difficult to let it cook too long.

Do you have any type of remote thermometer setup. I know the pellet grills hold temp well.

I have one that has a probe that clips to the grate and one that goes into the meat.

The is a remote receiver where you can set an alarm if the cooking temp falls out of range or if the meat gets too hot.

Mine went off as I was having trouble fine tuning the heat. It wasn't holding at 225, so I have it a bit of air and it climbed slowly up to 250. Alarm woke me up, went and made the adjustment and it settled and 230.

Here is the receiver view
there is a probe unit on my smoker that plugs right into the smoker and the meat and sends the data to my phone. however, it is a silent push notification. I planned to smoke around 230 but if you smoke two 9lb bone in shoulders for 18 hours at 230 I guess I should plan for 18 hours and if it is done in 13....so be it. the pellet grill does hold temp very well and has fans that circulate the air very efficiently so it is mostly set it and forget it.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Pork is hard to plan with because the stall isn't consistent

I've definitely had lunch plans turn into dinner plans.

Not to mention it takes a minute to pull the meat

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA