Booker setting Suns record for scoring in a season?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As of right now, Tom Chambers has the Suns record for PPG in a season with the Suns at 27.2 ppg during the 89-90 season, but Booker has been gaining on him and is sitting at #2 all time in Suns history for PPG in a season with 26.2 ppg this year. He needs to score 211 points in the final 6 games to overtake Chambers for the record, did you think he'll do it? That's just over 35 points a game.

Here's the tweet that brought this to my attention.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I pulled up the stats on BasketballReference and you can view the highest scoring averages for Suns players in franchise history here. I removed some of the stat tables so it's easier to view but you can still see how many field goals everyone attempted as well as how they shot from the field, free throw line, and 3pt range. I also left stats in that show how many rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks they averaged a game to go with their scoring. I mainly removed some advanced stats so it's a little cleaner to view.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was going to make this a poll but "yes" or "no" is way too basic. People can say what they think and back it up if they feel it's necessary.

The Suns will play Memphis, Cleveland, Utah, and the Pelicans all at home before they finish the year against the Rockets and Mavericks. That is the order the final games will play out also. There are NO back to backs left.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a really good thread that compares the various PG that Booker has played with over the last 2 years. He's played with 6 PG's for at least 500 minutes each, Melton, Okobo, Canaan, Ulis, Payton, and Mike James. Only one of them had a TS% of 50% or greater, Canaan who had 51%. All 6 of them shot below the league average all over the floor also, except Canaan with a few exceptions. Booker needs backcourt help, badly.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He will get it he's taking over which is nice to see

The Wizards game was fun to watch. I think Booker found a new level to his game, one that it took Kobe a while to learn himself. He could score at will but he learned to pick his spots. He didn't need to go off for 40 or 50 a night and when he did it was site to behold because he took over. That's what Booker did against the Wizards and it was needed because no one else on the Suns was helping him. A star needs to know when he needs to drop 40 or 50 because his team needs it versus dropping 50 because he can, even if it has little impact on the final score. The Utah game and Washington games were quite different in how Utah was garbage time, essentially, and Washington was prime time. It sucks that it was a losing effort but it was no fault of his own. He was even engaged defensively.

I hope he gets the record but at the same time it's something he can look to do next year. Setting the record this season only highlights the lack of talent around him, in a way.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t understand the negativity lately.

We have our Kobe, now we just need our Shaq to develop.

And we might get a Barkley or a Westbrook in the draft. There has not been a reason to be this optimistic about the suns in many years.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Booker is trying to show what he can do when he is healthy to establish he is a superstar to hopefully attract another superstar.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Poop Head

It's fine for Booker to get his points but I don't it should be an overwhelming focus and I think context means something.

When Chambers averaged 27.2 points the Suns record was 54-28 and they had other talent on the team like Kevin Johnson, Jeff Hornacek, Eddie Johnson and Dan Majerle.

I want Booker's stats to have more meaning which they will when the Suns start winning.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/1990.html

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I kind of wince at this. If Booker is getting points because he is trying to carry the load in the absence of Oubre, Johnson, and Warren, I am fine with it. If they are just trying to get him a scoring record, that just adds to Booker's empty stats reputation around the league.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I kind of wince at this. If Booker is getting points because he is trying to carry the load in the absence of Oubre, Johnson, and Warren, I am fine with it. If they are just trying to get him a scoring record, that just adds to Booker's empty stats reputation around the league.

I am not worried about that. Book is a willing passer, and he is also a smart guy. I think he understands that other people hitting shots makes it easier for him to score. In my opinion, the difference between the last two games was several Suns scoring a little bit better than in the previous game. I am sure Booker understands that. When others score, they have a chance to win. He can still get his points.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don’t understand the negativity lately.

We have our Kobe, now we just need our Shaq to develop.

And we might get a Barkley or a Westbrook in the draft. There has not been a reason to be this optimistic about the suns in many years.

Except that the overall results on the court continue to get progressively worse, and the younger players aren't developing.

Admit it. I was the only one on this board who even thought it was a remote possibility that the Suns' record this year would be worse than last year's record, and even I was overly optimistic predicting 21 wins officially in the poll.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I doubt it. He could put up 2 shots, make both of them while single handedly saving the planet and the same small group of idiots on the General board at RGM would still reduce him to nothing more than "chucker" or "Kevin Martin clone". Most of the more prolific anti-Booker comments come from a handful of posters that don't know Devin Booker from TJ Hooker. Booker isn't perfect but the more time you spend on RGM the less you'll appreciate Devin for what he is, an incredible 22 year old basketball player that can score with the best of them.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I believe Booker is trying to show what he can do when he is healthy to establish he is a superstar to hopefully attract another superstar.

Or to attract a team to trade for him, which I hope is not the case....

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I think the latter is a distinct possibility, particularly if he has to endure another season like this one.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except that the overall results on the court continue to get progressively worse, and the younger players aren't developing.

Admit it. I was the only one on this board who even thought it was a remote possibility that the Suns' record this year would be worse than last year's record, and even I was overly optimistic predicting 21 wins officially in the poll.

Well I just don't agree. If Oubre and Tyler Johnson were still healthy we would have been .500 down the stretch.

Ayton has just hit the rookie wall, but even so I see him doing a few new things - like last night he faked the pass and dribbled in for the slam. That is like the second time he has tried that all season. Also last night he actually put his shoulder into a guy and made the bucket - he very rarely does that. So I do see some progression.

Bridges is developing not as fast as I would like but it is happening. He has become a very good distributor. Yes his offense is not looking too good, but he is making very few attempts.

One guy who I think has developed a ton is Bender. I thought he played pretty well last night.

Now I will admit I thought the Suns would win 30 games or so this year, but that was based on me believing they would get a pg early in the season, and Booker would perform well all season. Neither of those two things happened. However I am confident they will be far better next season, and I don't know how anyone who has watched the last 2 months could not feel the same way.

Booker in the last month, and especially in these last 2 games has made a huge leap with his game. He is playing defense - not good defense, but he is noticeably trying, and his offense is at superstar level. A huge part of becomming a superstar, is believing you are a superstar. I am pretty sure he believes now, and I expect him to avg 30 ppg next year with improved shooting.

Obviously our level of success next year will be heavily influenced by what we do in the offseason - but if worst case we bring back basically the same guys, I see this team still winning 35-40 games just off the improvement of our young players.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That is not the case. How many times does the dude have to say he wants to stay here and build a winning team?

Oubre is anxious to stay to work with the core of Ayton, Booker, and Bridges. We only need a couple more pieces a couple years experience to be a damn good team.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oubre is anxious to stay to work with the core of Ayton, Booker, and Bridges. We only need a couple more pieces a couple years experience to be a damn good team.

Thought I'd add that Oubre has filed for a trademark on "Valley Boyz" and will apparently be releasing some merch soon. I think that's a good indicator that he wants to stay.

He mentioned that either yesterday or the day before when he spoke with the media.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thought I'd add that Oubre has filed for a trademark on "Valley Boyz" and will apparently be releasing some merch soon. I think that's a good indicator that he wants to stay.

He mentioned that either yesterday or the day before when he spoke with the media.

If you do a basic search of trademark records with the United States Patent and Trademark Office on-line, the only record of a trademark application for "Valley Boyz" is a now-abandoned trademark from 2006 and 2007 for a music group based in...the San Fernando Valley in Southern California...

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I wonder if merchandise based on team nicknames actually sell.

I know Draymond Green had filed for trademark on “Hampton 5” and I don’t think he’s released any merch from that. Andre Igoudala did something similar with “Death Lineup” few years back as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is not the case. How many times does the dude have to say he wants to stay here and build a winning team?

Not to mention it doesn't happen (as in, NEVER has happened) for players with 5 more seasons under contract following this one. I'm not suggesting we can wait around 4 years doing nothing and expect him to stay but we're very safe on this for at least 3 more seasons and if he qualifies for the Super Max, even longer IMO. Not that I want to see him make the Super Max but that's the NBA world we all live in today (thanks to Lebron and Chris Paul).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson