Blood Meridian - Cormack McCarthy

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just started reading this...Cormack's style is hard to get used to at first.

I wonder why on earth he doesnt use "quotes" for dialog...and how he can get away with that. It just seems like it's not correct grammar.

Then again, nothing he writes feels like it's correct English.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, the lack of quotes adds to what seems like a dream-like quality to the stories. You know the characters are communicating, but it almost seems like they might be doing it without speaking (not literally, but it's hard to describe what the lack of quotations does to the interpretation of the writing...it's interesting).

I don't think you don't need correct grammar to write a novel, so long as what you're writing is deliberate.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just started reading this...Cormack's style is hard to get used to at first.

I wonder why on earth he doesnt use "quotes" for dialog...and how he can get away with that. It just seems like it's not correct grammar.

Then again, nothing he writes feels like it's correct English.
So basically, this book would kill me, is what you're saying. ;)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
McCarthy's writing style was a little strange to me, almost like the whole time he is writing poetry or something. the only book I've read by him is The Road and I honestly didn't enjoy it too much, he was too "flowery" in his descriptions and story telling for my liking.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike--have you read "No Country for Old Men" yet? It's very good.

Nope, give me a chance to finish this one :) I want to read the Border Trilogy as well.

McCarthy's writing style was a little strange to me, almost like the whole time he is writing poetry or something. the only book I've read by him is The Road and I honestly didn't enjoy it too much, he was too "flowery" in his descriptions and story telling for my liking.

I loved The Road, my favorite book from last year, that's why I'm reading this.

I love his storytelling ways, it's just hard to get used to at first.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. I think his writing is pretty bare bones.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. I think his writing is pretty bare bones.

It feels bare bones, because it seems like it's just short sentences and stuff, but it's highly descriptive and I also feel that I've read it and thought "poetic" at times.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard