Biggest question marks for the Suns

Errntknght

Reaction score
Clearly the Suns team is full of question marks at this point. Which of them do you feel are the most significant?

Markieff Morris stands out to me. I'm certainly glad we got Teletovic and Leuer so he should get the message that he could wind up sitting if he doesn't produce. Chandler echoes the same because with two viable C's he is not likely to slide over to that position nearly as much. I hope the team is ready to dump him if he proves to be a cancer - the odds of that seem 'promising' to me. He's even a question mark on the floor - the Markieff we saw last year was not nearly as productive as the one that took the ball to the hoop the year before - and got the line twice as much. Last year was a career low in rebounding, too.

Ronnie Price is another big one for me. His stats don't suggest that he runs the fastbreak - 1.6 FTA per 36 says that he rarely attacks the rim under any conditions. His assist to TO ratio was good last year at 3.2 but for his career its 2.0, right down there with Bled and Knight. Why we didin't re-sign Ish Smith is beyond me - he's better than Price is every category except 3 pt shooting. (He's better at that too if you leave out his disastrous year shooting them for us.) Price doesn't figure to play much, of course, but if Bled or Knight is injured we'll be scrambling to pick up another PG - or combo guard.

Teletovic's health. Every players health is always a question but Mirza is coming off a very serious problem.

Chandler and Len's health. If Len is a little more robust than last year and Tyson has an average year (65 games @ 29 min per) they'll come close to covering the C slot 90% of the time. If anything untoward happens to either of them we'll be watching a lot of small ball.

Will Hornacek find a way to get production out out of TJ? We all know that TJ can score inside the arc but its far from clear how his game fits with the teams offense. I'd seriously toy with the idea of starting him, hoping that would encourage our 'PGs' to look for him - that doesn't sound like Jeff though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certainly the Suns need to find out if there will be issues with Markieff soon if they want to be competitive this season. I do like Teletovic a lot. He was an excellent pickup. Leuer should fit into the same mold as a stretch 4. I guess I'm okay at power forward providing Markieff is on board.

So presuming status quo, my primary concern is that the Suns add another big man that can play center. The chances are Len or Chandler be out for a number of games. I see the Suns needing more strength at center to compensate for the lack of physical power forwards. The Suns cannot afford to be weak at the center position.

My other concern is at point guard. I guess the Suns wanted a nice role playing point guard when they signed Price. He was a safe choice but he was not the exciting choice. The Suns probably did not want to duplicate the issues of having three point guards who want to start. IMO, Ish Smith is more of a quick ball handler than a point guard but I would not be upset if the Suns added him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The signing of Price is a the biggest question mark so far with this roster. I didn't understand it when it was announced and still don't. As it was said last year and this offseason why not bring back Ish Smith for a 3rd PG off the bench? If they didn't want to go with Smith or couldn't they should have waited until training camp was finished to name the 3rd PG because they had a few young prospects in summer league that may be better in the short and long term to take a flier on than bringing in Price.

Of course the PF spot has some question marks as well but if Markieff is traded, which I expect to happen if not before the season then before the new year. Teletovic is a nice signing because he could play starting minutes if healthy with Leuer backing him up but I imagine any deal involving Markieff should bring back a PF/C type player even if they're young and a backup. I would be surprised and very disappointed if they didn't get a player in return for him that can play either both the 4 or 5 or both of spots.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
lol!!

Jon Leuer and Teletovic can't threaten Markieff, even if Markieff plays at 50%.

You seriously want to argue that Markieff had a down year? That is hard to believe, he has grown tremendously as a passer and scorer. He can actually create shots for himself pretty reliably and also find teammates.

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The biggest question mark for me is the Power Forward position. I am not to sure the Phoenix Suns have a PF, strong enough to bang with the big boys. Not sure if the Suns could upgrade that position anytime soon.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Even though I think the PF position is a question mark, I have to think that a list of Suns question marks begins and ends with Alex Len. We HOPE he takes well to Chandler's mentoring. We HOPE he has no problems coming off the bench. But out of all our players, Len is the most crucial to our future success.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol!!

You seriously want to argue that Markieff had a down year? That is hard to believe, he has grown tremendously as a passer and scorer. He can actually create shots for himself pretty reliably and also find teammates.

The biggest question mark for me is the Power Forward position. I am not to sure the Phoenix Suns have a PF, strong enough to bang with the big boys. Not sure if the Suns could upgrade that position anytime soon.

Kieff is still very valuable to us right now. He's our only pf with skill and a bit of size. Tucker is probably our most physical guy at the forward position, so that's not saying much.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol!!

Sure they can. If they sit out there and hit 37% + from beyond the arc they'll get a lot of the playing time at power forward.

Joe

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sure they can. If they sit out there and hit 37% + from beyond the arc they'll get a lot of the playing time at power forward.

Joe

Yup and Hornacek tried using Kieff in the Frye role but it did not work because Kieff is not much of a threat from 3 but Teletovic on the other hand is.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
lol!!

Not to be picky - okay, to be picky - he did have a down year. I know PER is imperfect but going from 18.4 to 15.8 can't be described any other way.

Gives me awesome hope for this season though and I can't understand why anyone would want to trade him right now. Cheap, good, what's the problem...assuming his attitude follows suit of course which it should do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

Errntknght

Reaction score
Not to be picky - okay, to be picky - he did have a down year. I know PER is imperfect but going from 18.4 to 15.8 can't be described any other way.

Gives me awesome hope for this season though and I can't understand why anyone would want to trade him right now. Cheap, good, what's the problem...assuming his attitude follows suit of course which it should do.

Thanks for saving me the trouble 3rdside.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Biggest quesition marks for the Suns

No problem - nothing worse than an aggressive stance that's incorrect.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Nope

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=224522

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

My bad. I assumed - stupidly - the suns had learned from the dragic saga that you have to look after your players. Marcus wasn't / isn't but his brother is and a promise is promise. The suns broke it, clearly couldn't persuade Markieff to stay (no homework done before jettisoning Marcus maybe?) and here we are with another disgruntled, talented player wanting out.

Where are we going to get equal value for Markieff? We aren't because he's probably the best value / quality 4 in the league, without him we're much, much worse and, goddamit, this season is looking dire already.

Until there's more details or a MASSIVE make up trade, it appears to be another mark against the McD reign.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My bad. I assumed - stupidly - the suns had learned from the dragic saga that you have to look after your players. Marcus wasn't / isn't but his brother is and a promise is promise. The suns broke it, clearly couldn't persuade Markieff to stay (no homework done before jettisoning Marcus maybe?) and here we are with another disgruntled, talented player wanting out.

Where are we going to get equal value for Markieff? We aren't because he's probably the best value / quality 4 in the league, without him we're much, much worse and, goddamit, this season is looking dire already.

Until there's more details or a MASSIVE make up trade, it appears to be another mark against the McD reign.

I don't think Morris is the worthless bum that some do, but at the same time, we're not talking about a stud. The Suns owe him, and his brother, nothing. They trashed the fans, they got into it with the staff, they got in trouble with the law and all this before their extensions even kicked in. I don't think the Suns gave a **** about how Markieff would feel about them trading Marcus (and I'm sure they knew he'd be furious).

The idea that they've somehow been wronged by McD or the organization is an absolute joke. I don't know that I've ever seen a couple of players of such mediocre (or lower) stature act so laughably entitled.

And all that aside, his talent falls somewhere between a bottom 10 starter at his position and a high quality reserve. If our season was hinging on Markieff Morris and his middling offense, crap rebounding and poor defense then it was doomed from the start.

I also think they anticipated Markieff's boorish whining and the signing of Tele and the Memphis trade was the Suns hedging their bet. If Teletovic can stay healthy the drop from Markieff to him isn't a steep one and in terms of fitting into the system its probably an upgrade.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With a good rotation plan, the Suns are set for a long while at guard and center. The forward positions are manned by journeymen, who make for good backup players but there is no championship level talent there. LaMarcus Aldridge would have changed this team instantly into a powerhouse, but it didn't happen. Now, our one priority moving forward is to find a stud PF. Morris is a nutcase. Occasional talent, but there is nothing in his game that has us imagining him hoisting the trophy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Morris is the worthless bum that some do, but at the same time, we're not talking about a stud. The Suns owe him, and his brother, nothing. They trashed the fans, they got into it with the staff, they got in trouble with the law and all this before their extensions even kicked in. I don't think the Suns gave a **** about how Markieff would feel about them trading Marcus (and I'm sure they knew he'd be furious).

The idea that they've somehow been wronged by McD or the organization is an absolute joke. I don't know that I've ever seen a couple of players of such mediocre (or lower) stature act so laughably entitled.

And all that aside, his talent falls somewhere between a bottom 10 starter at his position and a high quality reserve. If our season was hinging on Markieff Morris and his middling offense, crap rebounding and poor defense then it was doomed from the start.

I also think they anticipated Markieff's boorish whining and the signing of Tele and the Memphis trade was the Suns hedging their bet. If Teletovic can stay healthy the drop from Markieff to him isn't a steep one and in terms of fitting into the system its probably an upgrade.

I agree with your post. The Suns unknowingly created their own problems by putting the twins together but who could have foreseen the outcome. The Morris twins contributed to the situation playing out the way it did. They should realize that.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Markieff is a bit undervalued here. Look where he is on this list. I think we forget how few really good power forwards there are in this league.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-top-power-forwards-of-2014-15-season/page/28

Right now, I am in the "keep Markieff" category, primarily because I do not think we can get the value we should for him in a trade. I think this thing will blow over some. Hopefully. Maybe we can trade him later when the timing is better.

What is clear is that there could easily be between 5-10 teams that would consider Kieff an upgrade over their present starter AND want to have him. In that case, you wait, and let the market drive up the price. His pouting won't necessarily drive the price down. In some ways, it will advertise it. As long as the Suns are not desperate to move him, teams will start to bid for him.

The notion that because someone "has" to sell, the price will be lower, is not true. That is only if someone has to sell now AND there are no buyers around. A perfect example is the Clippers. Sterling was forced to sell the Clippers BUT there were plenty of suiters. So he got a whopping $2 bil which is clearly market price, maybe more.

I believe this. Watch and see.

Last edited:

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I’m not saying we owe him anything, I’m saying that we needed to better manage him in order to convince him to stay – which is my preference , but is now apparently impossible – or prepare him for a ‘non-distressed’ trade so that we don’t have ANOTHER person bad mouthing the organisation, meaning we’ll likely getting lesser value in return when we do trade him - I'm not convinced the bitching won’t have a negative impact.

I certainly haven’t been saying that if that’s what you thought.

Here’s another article about Morris and what he brings to the team:

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2015/03/06/pay-attention-to-markieff-morris/

To say we’re better off without Markeiff would be hard to agree with – unless we get something decent in return. But see above about my thoughts on that.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With a good rotation plan, the Suns are set for a long while at guard and center. The forward positions are manned by journeymen, who make for good backup players but there is no championship level talent there. LaMarcus Aldridge would have changed this team instantly into a powerhouse, but it didn't happen. Now, our one priority moving forward is to find a stud PF. Morris is a nutcase. Occasional talent, but there is nothing in his game that has us imagining him hoisting the trophy.

You can't have 'A' grade talent at every position and you can't just miracle up a stud PF. But Markieff and Teletovic at the 4 is a pretty solid alternative, especially considering the price we pay (for at least Markieff anyway).

So leave the A-grade talent to the guards for now (if that's what you call them) and maybe we get a piece later on; what I love about Markieff is that he makes signing one so much more achieveable cause he's so cheap. As will Bledsoe, and hopefully Knight, prove to be once the cap goes up - i'm no cap expert but three starters (or two starters and Kieff as sixth man of the year) at a combined total of $36m vs a cap of $89m next year sounds very low.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To say we’re better off without Markeiff would be hard to agree with – unless we get something decent in return. But see above about my thoughts on that.

I'm talking about fit, not skill when I say the Suns could well be better off without him. Markieff Morris is significantly more talented than Channing Frye, however the Suns were significantly better with Frye than with Morris. Frye was a better fit, he provided spacing and he didn't slow down the offense. I think Morris is more talented than Teletovic, but I think Teletovic, if healthy, will provide a lot of what Frye brought 2 years ago.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the Cavaliers would consider a sign and trade for Markieff Morris with Tristan Thompson coming back to the Suns. Apparently Thompson's camp is feeling disrespect in contract negotiations. I'm not sure if it could be made to work but it would give the Suns a more physical frontline. Also it would solve a question mark.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2015/08/tristan_thompsons_agent_rich_p.html

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the Cavaliers would consider a sign and trade for Markieff Morris with Tristan Thompson coming back to the Suns. Apparently Thompson's camp is feeling disrespect in contract negotiations. I'm not sure if it could be made to work but it would give the Suns a more physical frontline. Also it would solve a question mark.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2015/08/tristan_thompsons_agent_rich_p.html

Tristan Thompson is going to get paid too much. I am not sure he is the player that Markieff is. If there was a sign and trade, I would want a pick back or something just to make up for Markieff's advantageous salary.

BTW. This is Rich Paul. His clients are always being "disrespected" during contract negotiations.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tristan Thompson is going to get paid too much. I am not sure he is the player that Markieff is. If there was a sign and trade, I would want a pick back or something just to make up for Markieff's advantageous salary.

BTW. This is Rich Paul. His clients are always being "disrespected" during contract negotiations.

At least the Suns wouldn't have to worry about a finesse PF anymore. It would be nice to get the PF position fixed even if the Suns have to overpay. Likely the pick would be going the other way because of the circumstances. I believe the Suns own the Cavaliers pick in the next draft.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm talking about fit, not skill when I say the Suns could well be better off without him. Markieff Morris is significantly more talented than Channing Frye, however the Suns were significantly better with Frye than with Morris. Frye was a better fit, he provided spacing and he didn't slow down the offense. I think Morris is more talented than Teletovic, but I think Teletovic, if healthy, will provide a lot of what Frye brought 2 years ago.

Okay, interesting thought - just don't get me started on whether I'd rather Dragic than Knight with a decent floor spacer.