Bigger impact in 2021: Isaiah Simmons or Zaven Collins

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Didnt hate either pick, but wanted other guys (wanted Wirfs last year and would have traded up for AVT this year or traded down)

Still these guys have great potential.

I'm actually higher on Simmons than Collins, but for this season I think Zaven will have a bigger impact. I still think Simmons is not a plug and play player. He's someone you have to really be creative with and I'm not sure this is the year for that. Zaven imo will be solid. I think Simmons probably makes more splash plays.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah Vance is going to make some money this year with his blitz schemes. He has so many options itll be hard not to look good. I think Collins will post better numbers but no idea why I feel that way.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Simmons. They drafted a read and react coverage LB so they can do more with Simmons. You will see Simmons blitz a lot more this year because he won't be their only coverage option at LB.

Yep. Collins can be a force multiplier. The fact that he is so good in coverage and shows plus instincts means they don't have to worry about having a player who is either too slow to react or someone who lacks instincts.

I was a little leery about taking Collins until I started hearing what the Cardinals were thinking, and what their proxies like Wolfley were saying. Outside of corner, the biggest hole on the defense was ILB next to Simmons. You also have to feel good about the reports that Belichick was planning on taking Collins if Mac Jones wasn't available.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a coin flip but I'll say Collins as I'm more confident in his mental side. But if it's clicked for Simmons who knows.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Simmons. They drafted a read and react coverage LB so they can do more with Simmons. You will see Simmons blitz a lot more this year because he won't be their only coverage option at LB.

Yeah he and Budda are both going to have sack numbers increase I think. They can design gap rushes for those two so easily now that we in theory have all monsters up front.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It certainly should be Simmons.

He is by far the better athlete, and has a year under his belt.

Hopefully both look great.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Play simmons vance he is talented!!!! If coached right

I think will be a good duo simmons and collins should provide some good lb play... lol I'm praying atleast

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Though I hope Collins is at 245-250 when the season starts.
He said in his press conference a few days ago that his optimal weight on gameday is between 255-263. I think that seems fair, especially when you consider we are talking about a dude that is 6'5".

I would imagine that is coming from the strength and conditioning coach.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am really excited about Collins but Simmons is in his second year. I expect pro bowl at the very least from him this year.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am really excited about Collins but Simmons is in his second year. I expect pro bowl at the very least from him this year.
if that is true then this defense likely ends up top 10 statistically? theres a lot of nice pieces around a pro bowl year out of Simmons. thats dangerous, IDK if I would go that far to say our defense is that good. gotta see it first

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He said in his press conference a few days ago that his optimal weight on gameday is between 255-263. I think that seems fair, especially when you consider we are talking about a dude that is 6'5".

I would imagine that is coming from the strength and conditioning coach.

I do think he has to change his conditioning coach, in the nfl if he wants to have the same impact as he did in college he needs to slim down a bit

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I do think he has to change his conditioning coach, in the nfl if he wants to have the same impact as he did in college he needs to slim down a bit
I was suggesting that is probably from the Cardinals' strength and conditioning coach.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Man, I do not want Collins slimming down.

He's 6'5" and that's his natural frame. I don't want him playing lighter than his frame wants to be. That's a recipe for injury.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I don't get the slimming down comments either, those pics of him on his way to the Cardinals facility in no way made it appear he was overweight.

Is not about just the weight but the agility, the right compromise to be effective with nfl speed
The guy is built like a defensive end, there is a reason the most impactful ILB nowdays are in the range of 230/245
In any cases the answer is the field, at this point obviously the more optimistic here doesn't see it like an issue
Dansby was around 250/255 in college, but I remember him saying he played in the range 235/240
Somebody can say about Devin white or Wagner who are 6'0/6'1 and around 240/245 but both are athletic freaks, very explosive

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Is not about the weight but the agility, the right compromise to be effective with nfl speed
The guy is built like a defensive end, there is a reason the most impactful ILB nowdays are in the range of 230/245
In any cases the answer is the field, at this point obviously the more optimistic here doesn't see it like an issue
Most of them aren't 6'5" either. Kuechly for instance is at 240 and is 6'3". That extra 2" can carry an extra 15 pounds or so.