Bickley - Finley deal could prevent rump roast

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the line about the Phoenix Suns being a crushed orbital bone away from an NBA title. I love to last year's team. I think it's possible they could have beaten San Antonio with a healthy JJ. While JJ certainly would have helped I have trouble believing they would have beaten San Antonio even with him.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/0819bickley0819.html

Finley deal could prevent rump roast

The Arizona Republic
Aug. 19, 2005 12:00 AM

A guarantee from the Suns:

If the basketball doesn't make you dizzy, the off-season will. The only stable jobs belong to the Gorilla and the guy that makes locker room nameplates.

It would be nice if the latter could get to work on F-I-N-L-E-Y.

"Either way, I like the team we have," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We have a good chance to be as good or better as we were last year. You can hold me to that and fry my butt if we don't."

Deal.

Certainly, each of the primary additions in this tumultuous summer - Kurt Thomas, Raja Bell and Brian Grant - has filled an existing weakness.

All are high-character guys that work hard and play defense. Yet none of them can fill the hole in the boat when the Joe Johnson trade is finally consummated.

This is why the pursuit of Michael Finley is so important.

Not so much as a basketball player, because at age 32, his skills are clearly starting to slip.

This is more about symbolism, restoring hope and forgetting what has been lost along the way.

If Finley agrees to play for the Suns, it will be for the minimum salary, more playing time and the chance to be with a close friend, Steve Nash.

It will be for all the right reasons, and after the Johnson fiasco, he would come to Phoenix as a returning hero.

He would be painted as the perfect short-term substitute, an ideal contrast to the greedy Johnson. His constant smile would instantly wash away any lingering doubt. The owner and the P.R. department have their fingers crossed.

"I think our management has done a really good job of dancing around some of these landmines, of reacting to some of the things that have come up in the off-season," D'Antoni said.

If it sounds like the coach is kissing some superior posterior, he is.

The entire organization is becoming as defensive off the court as they are on the court. The constant spin is galling.

What, do we just forget that there are four players left from a team that went 31-4 to start last season? Just brush off a team that was a broken orbital bone away from winning a title, a young group so exciting that it became the symbol for the new NBA?

Yet the new and older Suns will be as rugged as a flannel shirt. Opponents will no longer cruise untouched to the basket. They have raised their standard of defense and toughness to a level typically seen among NBA champions.

It won't be as fun to watch, but if Finley comes aboard, they might have enough offense to make it work the conventional way.

"We still have our three All-Stars," D'Antoni said. "We still have Amaré (Stoudemire) running the floor, Shawn Marion on the wing and Steve Nash pushing the ball. Those are the things that people have a hard time dealing with."

Still, if the lack of offense and general credibility weren't an issue, the Suns wouldn't be posting a page on their Web site asking fans to write Finley:

"Pour your heart out. Beg if you have to. All of your e-mails will be printed out and delivered to Michael's agent."

Something like this should work wonders:

In Miami, you would be just another guard in glam-town. In Phoenix, you'd be the guardian angel, floating in and making everything OK.

And remember, when the legs start to go, it's nice to have some wings.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
San Antonio out hustled and just out played the Suns.

JJ may have extended the series a little but in hindsight it is hard to imagine he would have put the Suns over the top and into the Finals.

Only 4 players left? Out of 6 that got us to 31-4 rather than the 12 implied.

Sounds like typical Bickley doom and gloom.

But only if we could get this symbolic addition then we would be ok. :rolleyes:

It sucks that JJ is leaving but I do think we will have a good team in anyway.

Finley or no Finley.
To me Finley is only a boarderline starter anyway.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Personally, I think the Finley addition would be great, maybe not so much about his offensive contributions, but moreso for the extra depth his signing would provide (i.e. JJ2 and Bell both coming off the bench). I also believe if this happened, JJ2 would become the regular backup point guard. I see no need to spend more money on a backup PG.

My question now is when Padgett will be signed... :shrug:

Dustbuster

Veteran
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't mind if we just went with James Jones instead of Padgett. But if we actually have a verbal agreement in place with Padgett, I'm sure we will not reneg on it.

I'm campaigning for the additions of Jones and then Steve Blake as a backup PG to develop behind Nash. Blake is a true pass-first PG and I think he would be a nice fit. If we could offer Jones a long term deal starting at about 2.5 mil, and Blake one starting at about 2 mil, we could have two nice young players to develop for the future (who could also contribute now), not to mention two very reasonable contracts if we needed to move them in the future. We would have to get both Indy and Washington to get on board with a sign and trade, but perhaps greasing their palms with a second round pick might get the job done.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Dustbuster said:
I personally wouldn't mind if we just went with James Jones instead of Padgett. But if we actually have a verbal agreement in place with Padgett, I'm sure we will not reneg on it.

I'm campaigning for the additions of Jones and then Steve Blake as a backup PG to develop behind Nash. Blake is a true pass-first PG and I think he would be a nice fit. If we could offer Jones a long term deal starting at about 2.5 mil, and Blake one starting at about 2 mil, we could have two nice young players to develop for the future (who could also contribute now), not to mention two very reasonable contracts if we needed to move them in the future. We would have to get both Indy and Washington to get on board with a sign and trade, but perhaps greasing their palms with a second round pick might get the job done.

You've been pushing for Steve Blake like crazy, and I'm trying to figure out why. He is about as good as any other 3rd string point guard in the league, and definitely not worth 2 million a year.

Dustbuster

Veteran
Reaction score
Chaplin, why do you think Blake is a poor addition? He is a pass first PG, has only been in the league for two years, and is considered a pretty good defender. I think he has a lot of potential, and pure PGs are fairly rare. Being stuck behind Gilbert Arenas doesn't exactly give one an opportunity to shine.

I just think that he is a realistic option that could help, but I wouldn't mind seeing some real criticisms of his game and reasons why he would not fit.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Dustbuster said:
Chaplin, why do you think Blake is a poor addition? He is a pass first PG, has only been in the league for two years, and is considered a pretty good defender. I think he has a lot of potential, and pure PGs are fairly rare. Being stuck behind Gilbert Arenas doesn't exactly give one an opportunity to shine.

I just think that he is a realistic option that could help, but I wouldn't mind seeing some real criticisms of his game and reasons why he would not fit.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea that he's a pure point guard. But he can't score, and over the past 2 years, he's shown that he can't handle big minutes either (not that he would have to here, but it would be nice to know that he could). For a pass-first point guard, his assists were far from stellar.

I would guess all these aspects could be worked on and improved, but the same can be said for any number of other players--players who would be cheaper. IMO, Blake hasn't earned a contract that pays more than the minimum.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question now is when Padgett will be signed... :shrug:

He has already been signed. He has a two year deal, and he is getting a little more than Grant from what I remember. It is on one of the smaller AZcentral articles, I just cant find it. Here is this though:

Phoenix could add Jones regardless of Finley's pick, but the Suns have several wings with Jackson, Shawn Marion, Raja Bell, Scott Padgett and possibly combo guards Boris Diaw and Leandro Barbosa and rookie Dijon Thompson.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Besides, there are five players left if you count Barbosa.

He was referring to the 31-4 start.

Implying that all 12 guys contributed to last season's success is absolutely absurd. Would he seriously feel better about the continuity if Paul Shirley and Yuta Tabuse returned? Or even Jake Voshkul or Bo Outlaw? The fact is, we only played 6 guys, sometimes 7, and that's the reason we didn't win it all ... the bench never played. If we had returned any more than 7 guys from last years team I'd be angry. Bickley and other sportwriters are conveniently lumping dead weight, useless bench players with JJ and Q to make the offseason sound worse than it is. JJ is the only player I'll miss. I feel better about every other guy we've added.

The Bulls won the title in 96 with only TWO players from their 93 title ... Jordan and Pippen. Despite all of our concerns, this team will still only go as far as Amare and Nash will take them.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
dreamcastrocks said:
He has already been signed. He has a two year deal, and he is getting a little more than Grant from what I remember. It is on one of the smaller AZcentral articles, I just cant find it. Here is this though:

He is not on the list.

http://www.nba.com/suns/roster/

I thought they had only agreed to terms. I don't remember hearing he has actually signed.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that it is possible that they only agreed on terms. However I thought that they said that he had signed.

My mistake.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
newfan101 said:
Bickley and other sportwriters are conveniently lumping dead weight, useless bench players with JJ and Q to make the offseason sound worse than it is. JJ is the only player I'll miss. I feel better about every other guy we've added.

Ditto.

dreamcastrocks said:
I guess that it is possible that they only agreed on terms. However I thought that they said that he had signed.

My mistake.

I have been wondering if they were just waiting for other deals to be finalized.
i.e. Joe Johnson trade.

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
Bickley sucks....

Would this guy be happy running with the same squad as last year, knowing that they would never be able to get past the Spurs?

Okay I'll admit that it was fun to watch this high flying, high scoring team in the regualr season. Regardless, the team just didn't have the deep bench to go all the way.

As far as letting Q go, you have to give up good quality players to get back good players.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn