Barnes Close to a Deal with Magic

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sad to see him move on..... and again i'm sure i'm in the minority here.
Yeah he made boneheaded plays on offense and questionable decisions at times....
but his toughness,defense and intensity will be greatly missed IMO, These are qualities that the team hasn't replaced. Instead they added more creampuff w/Channing Frye.
I've read here that Frye has a high bball IQ....he'd better be smart, because he's not going to replace any of Barnes' best qualities.
Hopefully Clark can help in these areas.
Good luck Matt...i appreciate what you brought to the table for us last year ,but i'm not at all surprised you weren't invited back either. There's no place for your style of game in this town unfortunately.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60699/20090721/magic_near_deal_with_matt_barnes/

Good for Matt. Though I am not a huge fan of his game and am glad the Suns decided not to bring him back, I respect his attitude towards the game. It will be interesting to see what kind of minutes he gets over there.

My only problem with Barnes is he accounted for more then 50% of the teams turnovers off the bench. He was a turnover machine. I think the Suns were asking too much of him offensively.

I think if they had not relied on him so much I would not have had as much of a problem with him. The Suns are going to miss his defense and toughness. This makes the team worse in that department IMO.

OP
OP
binkar

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Dudley makes up for a lot of that IMO. Though Dudley isn't as vocal and won't get you the technical and flagrant fouls (which isn't always a bad thing), he brings energy and defense off the bench. The thing I like better about Dudley is that he has a higher basketball IQ, has become a better shooter, and isn't as turnover prone. I don't think it was necessarily that the Suns leaned on Barnes to heavily offensively as it was that other teams would consistently allow him to beat them if he could because he was the weakest offensive link on the floor. I actually feel like with Dudley and Clark (though Clark is an unknown until he plays) getting the majority of Barnes minutes that we are better off.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Dudley makes up for a lot of that IMO. Though Dudley isn't as vocal and won't get you the technical and flagrant fouls (which isn't always a bad thing), he brings energy and defense off the bench. The thing I like better about Dudley is that he has a higher basketball IQ, has become a better shooter, and isn't as turnover prone. I don't think it was necessarily that the Suns leaned on Barnes to heavily offensively as it was that other teams would consistently allow him to beat them if he could because he was the weakest offensive link on the floor. I actually feel like with Dudley and Clark (though Clark is an unknown until he plays) getting the majority of Barnes minutes that we are better off.
All good points Binkar and I agree with you....but don't forget about attitude and toughness.

OP
OP
binkar

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All good points Binkar and I agree with you....but don't forget about attitude and toughness.

I agree. I mentioned above how I love Matt's attitude towards the game. I think Jared is just as tough though be manifests it in a different way. I will without question miss the edge that Matt brings to the game. However, I think that Jared's plus outweigh the negatives of losing Matt. JMO.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree. I mentioned above how I love Matt's attitude towards the game. I think Jared is just as tough though be manifests it in a different way. I will without question miss the edge that Matt brings to the game. However, I think that Jared's plus outweigh the negatives of losing Matt. JMO.
Fair enough and i hope you're right. :) I think Duds can become a little nastier while still playing smart. Bruce Bowen is no idiot.;)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All good points about Dudley. However, when a team lacks defensive talent, my opinion is that you can't afford to give up any. Matt would have been a valuable bench player.

OP
OP
binkar

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All good points about Dudley. However, when a team lacks defensive talent, my opinion is that you can't afford to give up any. Matt would have been a valuable bench player.

I agree as well. However, we it's unfortunate that the teams three best defenders are at the 3 position (arguably) in Hill, Dudley, and now potentially Clark (though it has been mentioned that he will play mostly 4).

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree as well. However, we it's unfortunate that the teams three best defenders are at the 3 position (arguably) in Hill, Dudley, and now potentially Clark (though it has been mentioned that he will play mostly 4).
Yeah i've mentioned this in previous posts when complaining about the lack of "D". I just don't think it really matters to to the FO how inept we're going to be at dfending the perimeter and at the rim this year. IMO it's been conceded that we're going to be extremely weak in these areas.

OP
OP
binkar

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah i've mentioned this in previous posts when complaining about the lack of "D". I just don't think it really matters to to the FO how inept we're going to be at dfending the perimeter and at the rim this year. IMO it's been conceded that we're going to be extremely weak in these areas.

I agree. The Channing Frye signing makes that blatantly obvious. I am a generally a FO supporter, but completely agree with this point.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn