Bargain Bin Shopping

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a theory but I feel like Monty butted heads with Jae more because he couldn't do so with DA. I'm not saying he didn't also butt heads with DA, he did, but he was more hard lined with Jae because he couldn't be with DA. The front office would never consider sending Ayton home to sit while they worked on a deal. So Jae ended up being the whipping boy for all Monty's frustration. I don't believe the frontcourt was something Monty was happy with here and he lumped them together.

I don't see it.

Monty openly showed frustration with DA several times, but with Jae there was never even a hint of discord until last off-season and the initial blurbs made it sound like Jae was the one who was upset... but we now know it was Monty not wanting Jae around, something Jae was apparently not fully aware of until recently.

That says to me that Monty was unwilling to confront Jae in any way whatsoever and just waited until the offseason and told management he didn't want Jae around anymore.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see it.

Monty openly showed frustration with DA several times, but with Jae there was never even a hint of discord until last off-season and the initial blurbs made it sound like Jae was the one who was upset... but we now know it was Monty not wanting Jae around, something Jae was apparently not fully aware of until recently.

That says to me that Monty was unwilling to confront Jae in any way whatsoever and just waited until the offseason and told management he didn't want Jae around anymore.

I take Jae's recent comments about not knowing of an issue between him and Monty sort of tongue in cheek. He played it up because he could and that fits his character. Sort of egging Monty on with his "Why you gotta do me like that coach" stuff or whatever he said. It was similar to how he leaned into the "F*** Jae Crowder" stuff, which was probably what pushed Monty past the point of no return. We fell apart right after that. Maybe Monty and Jae had words, maybe they didn't, but I think Monty definitely leaned into it with Jae because he could since DA was essentially untouchable. He wanted both gone but we just paid DA max money a few weeks later so he became a hardliner against Jae then, which the front office let happen to appease Monty.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Jae and Chris were very tight and I really don't see his path back here now that he's gone. Defense is slipping and his shot was never a world beater.

With that being said...... I like Yuta and Jevon.

Anyone know about the MLE? Do we have it? How about the Tax payer exception?

Finally, where are all these undrafted two-ways? I haven't found any info on that yet.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jae and Chris were very tight and I really don't see his path back here now that he's gone. Defense is slipping and his shot was never a world beater.

With that being said...... I like Yuta and Jevon.

Anyone know about the MLE? Do we have it? How about the Tax payer exception?

Finally, where are all these undrafted two-ways? I haven't found any info on that yet.

We have 3 Two-Way spots available. That is virtually guaranteed. Small chance we only have 2 because Saban Lee occupies one. I wouldn't be surprised if our 2nd round pick gets a Two-Way or signs an Exhibit 10 deal, which is essentially a Two-Way contract. It's a normal deal but can be converted to a Two-Way.

I think it's 60/40 we'll have the taxpayer MLE, with that we'll also have the Bi-Annual Exception. The TP-MLE is $5.0m and the BAE is $4.4m. There are some small rules for using tjem, like the BAE must be used for a 2 year deal at minimum. The TP-MLE can be split up but isn't usually as it's smaller so typically goes to 1 player.

I say 60/40 because a few places indicate we'll have it and some others don't. I'm leaning towards yes but not counting on it fully at this point because not having it will suck after mentally preparing for it. I do think its slightly more likely we will though, for whatever that's worth.

We can resign Craig, Landale, and Biz using Early Bird rights, so they won't count towards exceptions.

We also have a $5.2m trade exception that can be used to acquire someone. Who knows if we do or not. Trade exceptions rarely get used when they're that small but if someone wants to free up a roster spot, we can take them in. That exception stands alone. It can not be combined with a player to make their outgoing salary higher in a trade so we can take back more.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crowder is spoken highly of by his peers. He’s a smart high basketball iq player. Monty isn’t good at X’s and O’s, I’m willing to give crowder the benefit of the doubt in this case. Monty couldn’t manage his players.
Crowder went to Milwaukee and could not crack the rotation. That also should factor in.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ESPN+ has an article up talking about who has cap space, who doesn't, who is over the apron and who isn't. The Suns are apparently $7m under the 2nd apron so they WILL have the taxpayer MLE available according to the piece, as well as the BAE.

I'm attaching a screenshot featuring the Suns part, for reference as well as a blurb about first apron restrictions...

A team over the first apron will still have access to the taxpayer midlevel exception. However, as in prior seasons, a team over the first apron cannot acquire a player in a sign-and trade if the acquiring salary keeps it above the apron.

The Pelicans, for example, are right at the luxury tax and $7 million below the first apron. They would be allowed to use the $5 million tax midlevel and exceed the first apron.

Teams over either apron are prevented from signing a player waived during the regular season if that player's pre-waiver salary was larger than the $12.2 million non-taxpayer midlevel exception (which could have a dramatic effect on the kinds of post-trade deadline contract buyouts and signings we've seen in recent seasons).

Trades will also get harder for these teams, as the salary matching exception will be reduced from 125% to 110% starting this offseason.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN+ has an article up talking about who has cap space, who doesn't, who is over the apron and who isn't. The Suns are apparently $7m under the 2nd apron so they WILL have the taxpayer MLE available according to the piece, as well as the BAE.

I'm attaching a screenshot featuring the Suns part, for reference as well as a blurb about first apron restrictions...

Do you know if the $3.5 million used in the Bradley Beal trade will come out of the MLE?

I've seen it where the Suns only have $1.5 milliion to use other than the $5 million trade exception.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the $3.5 million used in the Bradley Beal trade will come out of the MLE?

I've seen it where the Suns only have $1.5 milliion to use other than the $5 million trade exception.
Wasn't that just about cash? We included 3.5 million in cash which leaves 1.5 which can be used?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't that just about cash? We included 3.5 million in cash which leaves 1.5 which can be used?

I've seen so many articles that use it different ways, I'm not sure.

They don't seem to use the MLE as an asset for the Suns, only the trade exception but the Suns do not have much cash nor any draft picks to trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to add this post here as well.

The Suns will have free agent tryouts on Wednesday. This could be fun.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No, that was cash used from the 2022-23 league year. We'll have another $5m to spend on deals in the coming year but it doesn't effect the MLE.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, that was cash used from the 2022-23 league year. We'll have another $5m to spend on deals in the coming year but it doesn't effect the MLE.

This makes me feel a lot better.

This is from one of the articles I have read.

By HoopsHype:

Regarding the upcoming 2023-24 season, the Suns are right at the $162 million luxury tax with just Durant, Beal, Booker, and Ayton. Their only means to increase their payroll beyond minimum salaries is with a $5 million trade exception they own and re-signing Torrey Craig, Jock Landale, Bismack Biyombo, and Darius Bazley. If they do not reduce payroll, it could exceed $190 million, with a luxury tax penalty in the $90 million range. -via HoopsHype / June 19, 2023

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This makes me feel a lot better.

This is from one of the articles I have read.

By HoopsHype:

Regarding the upcoming 2023-24 season, the Suns are right at the $162 million luxury tax with just Durant, Beal, Booker, and Ayton. Their only means to increase their payroll beyond minimum salaries is with a $5 million trade exception they own and re-signing Torrey Craig, Jock Landale, Bismack Biyombo, and Darius Bazley. If they do not reduce payroll, it could exceed $190 million, with a luxury tax penalty in the $90 million range. -via HoopsHype / June 19, 2023

I trust ESPN a bit more to have things correct at this point. I'm not 100% convinced and won't be until free agency starts buy I'm closer to 90% now, which is manageable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns will also be working out former Warriors guard Quinndary Weatherspoon.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was listening to the PHNX podcast today and they said the Suns are in veteran minimum territory accept for the players who they have bird rights.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just a theory but I feel like Monty butted heads with Jae more because he couldn't do so with DA. I'm not saying he didn't also butt heads with DA, he did, but he was more hard lined with Jae because he couldn't be with DA. The front office would never consider sending Ayton home to sit while they worked on a deal. So Jae ended up being the whipping boy for all Monty's frustration. I don't believe the frontcourt was something Monty was happy with here and he lumped them together.
IDK, I am thinking it was more of a philosophical difference. Ever notice Jae crashed offensive boards from the outside going towards the basket? Perhaps it was a little thing like telling Ayton you don't want to play under the basket, while it seemed Monty and the other coaches wanted him to play there. Not saying that was the specific issue, just maybe there were a couple things like that, that Monty felt Jae was gumming up the works. Jae has been around and knows the NBA game and was respected in the locker room. One of the few things I could see drawing Monty's ire is opposing him in coaching strategy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking both Stanley Johnson and Jabari Parker have an excellent chance of making the team if they will accept the minimum and perform well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes.

I think we can, and will, do better.

Stanley is an deep bench guy, Jabari Parker has no business in the NBA.

It would be nice if the veteran minimum can buy some better players. I was not impressed by the Suns playoff roster last season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would be nice if the veteran minimum can buy some better players. I was not impressed by the Suns playoff roster last season.

If those guys where on our roster in the playoffs last year neither would have played.

Stanley Johnson is a poor man's Josh Okogie.

Jabari Parker is a significantly worse version of TJ Warren... constantly injured, ball hogging, bad shooting, not passing and with the added bonus of bragging about how he doesn't play defense. Everywhere Parker goes his team cannot wait to rid themselves of him, I think his career is over.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If those guys where on our roster in the playoffs last year neither would have played.

Stanley Johnson is a poor man's Josh Okogie.

Jabari Parker is a significantly worse version of TJ Warren... constantly injured, ball hogging, bad shooting, not passing and with the added bonus of bragging about how he doesn't play defense. Everywhere Parker goes his team cannot wait to rid themselves of him, I think his career is over.

I'm not the one who invited them to work out. My guess is pickings are slim for vet minimum players.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not the one who invited them to work out. My guess is pickings are slim for vet minimum players.

We're not allowed to work out anyone or talk to potential free agents who ended last season on a roster, it would be tampering.

We can work out those guys because they were both unemployed.

I am not expecting us to sign world beaters but there will be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better options once free agency actually starts.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're not allowed to work out anyone or talk to potential free agents who ended last season on a roster, it would be tampering.

We can work out those guys because they were both unemployed.

I am not expecting us to sign world beaters but there will be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better options once free agency actually starts.

Here is a list Gerald Bourguet compiled.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard