Bargain Bin Shopping

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton > MLE signing

Doing that wouldn't make sense. While possible in theory, highly unlikely. We'll waive Ayton before giving him away for nothing in return.

I've seen it discussed as an option if the chose to dump his salary.

It's not something I would choose but they probably could get some draft picks back, save LT money and gain the use of the MLE.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns will not have a midlevel exception. Go ahead and kiss that idea goodbye, the Beal trade virtually solidified that. It's all minimum deals from here on out unless we can find a team to take Ayton for nothing in return, which would be dumb.

I thought there was a 5 million exception

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Yea but our window is the next 3 years. Seems like picks won’t help us. Unless there is someone in the draft that will contribute right away.
The draft pick (player) might not help specifically, but their tiny (compared to Ayton's) contract would allow us to sign quality free agent(s) instead of the league minimum variety

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The draft pick (player) might not help specifically, but their tiny (compared to Ayton's) contract would allow us to sign quality free agent(s) instead of the league minimum variety

What free agent out there can we pick up to replace Ayton?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought we had a trade exception from the Dario trade.

We can't sign anyone with it and since we no longer have picks, 1st or 2nd, it'll be hard to use it to absorb a player but maybe something can happen.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
One old guy that looked good in these playoffs was Kevin Love. He was actually assisting and scoring. Played quality minutes. You can't leave him out there a long time, but for short spurts he really looked good.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There's a video in another thread where Bobby Marks says we do have the $5 mil exception.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a video in another thread where Bobby Marks says we do have the $5 mil exception.

We have a $5 million dollar TRADE exception from the Dario trade. That can't be used to sign anyone, only to acquire someone by trade. It can not be combined with any other salary either.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One old guy that looked good in these playoffs was Kevin Love. He was actually assisting and scoring. Played quality minutes. You can't leave him out there a long time, but for short spurts he really looked good.

Kevin Love is an old guy, who was drafted a year after Durant and has been in the league 1 fewer season than KD. Just to put things in perspective.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We have a $5 million dollar TRADE exception from the Dario trade. That can't be used to sign anyone, only to acquire someone by trade. It can not be combined with any other salary either.
So when we trade Ayton we can use it to match up salaries or add a guy under that amount? I think I have seen where teams use this as an asset and trade it, too?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So when we trade Ayton we can use it to match up salaries or add a guy under that amount? I think I have seen where teams use this as an asset and trade it, too?

No, it can not be combined with anyone. It could be used with cash or a 2nd round pick to acquire someone making the amount of the exception or less.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the Suns are spinning the Crowder situation by having Gambo leak a favorable narrative. It's almost like they are trying to rehab his image to Suns fans who turned on him to prepare us for a return. Who knows how true it is. The same thing is happening for DA it seems.
If they are spinning it, they've been doing it for probably 9 months now as that's when it first started coming up. It got more airplay again during the midseason trade period but it's not new news.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, it can not be combined with anyone. It could be used with cash or a 2nd round pick to acquire someone making the amount of the exception or less.
Trade exceptions are so limited they are virtually useless.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thomas Bryant looks like best option on list for what PHX needs. Obviously, Lopez and Vucevic are out of our price range.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Crowder cant slide is feet anymore at all. Hes a true power forward at this point. Also, i dont know how good Monty is at Xs and Os but i trust his character. If he says Jay was too tough to coach then i dont want him back

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crowder cant slide is feet anymore at all. Hes a true power forward at this point. Also, i dont know how good Monty is at Xs and Os but i trust his character. If he says Jay was too tough to coach then i dont want him back

Crowder is spoken highly of by his peers. He’s a smart high basketball iq player. Monty isn’t good at X’s and O’s, I’m willing to give crowder the benefit of the doubt in this case. Monty couldn’t manage his players.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a theory but I feel like Monty butted heads with Jae more because he couldn't do so with DA. I'm not saying he didn't also butt heads with DA, he did, but he was more hard lined with Jae because he couldn't be with DA. The front office would never consider sending Ayton home to sit while they worked on a deal. So Jae ended up being the whipping boy for all Monty's frustration. I don't believe the frontcourt was something Monty was happy with here and he lumped them together.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison