Bad year

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
What a crappy year for the Coyotes. I hope next year will be much better and we make the playoffs...

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SeattleCardsFan
What a crappy year for the Coyotes. I hope next year will be much better and we make the playoffs...

I wonder if the overall crappiness of this season will hurt them even moving into their new arena. This is not a hockey town in a typical way. If they are winning people will come out but IMO, the Coyotes are kind of bottom of the sports entertainment barrel here...unless DET or COL are in town.

They seem to be a little ways away from contending but playoffs are always possible given the number of teams that make it.

OP
OP
SeattleCard

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
I wonder the same thing. I hope the excitement of a new arena will draw fans, but that only goes so far. People want to see wins. I personally think that Coyote NHL playoff games are super exciting. Gotta make it to the playoffs first. I hope that we turn things around and the yotes establish a strong fan base in the valley. At this point it appears to be a bit of a long shot.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SeattleCardsFan
I wonder the same thing. I hope the excitement of a new arena will draw fans, but that only goes so far. People want to see wins. I personally think that Coyote NHL playoff games are super exciting. Gotta make it to the playoffs first. I hope that we turn things around and the yotes establish a strong fan base in the valley. At this point it appears to be a bit of a long shot.

I questioned some of the moves the team made this year. It seemed like there was waaaaay too much emphasis on slashing salaries and little or none of actually bettering the team/organization. I didn't follow the team as closely this year for a variety of reasons so I may be completely wrong but it certainly seemed that way.

I know they were losing money, but I dislike the strategy of putting a bad team out there and waiting for the new arena or stadium to be finished before you try and fix things. I think the goal should be to put and up and coming/lots of promise team out there before the arena/stadium opens to generate that excitement then the new home will be sold out all the time. As it stands now, the yotes will be opening a new home and they may not even be selling games out.

Cland

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
I questioned some of the moves the team made this year. It seemed like there was waaaaay too much emphasis on slashing salaries and little or none of actually bettering the team/organization. I didn't follow the team as closely this year for a variety of reasons so I may be completely wrong but it certainly seemed that way.

I know they were losing money, but I dislike the strategy of putting a bad team out there and waiting for the new arena or stadium to be finished before you try and fix things. I think the goal should be to put and up and coming/lots of promise team out there before the arena/stadium opens to generate that excitement then the new home will be sold out all the time. As it stands now, the yotes will be opening a new home and they may not even be selling games out.

Actually, they didn't start slashing salary until the deadline. Even then the only true dump was Amonte and everyone would agree that was the right thing to do. And that was after about 6 months of god awful hockey. They had a pretty good team last year and they added some talent in Amonte and Bucky. But for some reason they took about six steps backwards this year. I wouldn't blame it on management at all. It was the player’s fault plain and simple. They took stupid penalties all year, never showed up until they were down 2 goals, and honestly were outplayed in just about every facet of the game all year long. They have no one to blame but themselves. You can blame it on injures, lack of centers, or whatever but honestly they just got out worked nightly.

As for the new stadium, for a year it will bring in fans but it will die off quickly if they continue to play the way they did this year.

Young Gun

rebel without a cause
Reaction score
I think you're right, a new stadium will help for a year or two. The novelty will wear off as fast as it started & fans will dwindle if they continue to struggle.

For some reason I think with a new arena things will turn around, the Coyotes will be a playoff team, & those playoff games are entertaining, the fans are behind them 100%.

Rattler Rod

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bobby Francis has been the "major" problem for three years, now. His offensive philosophy, and what he is teaching the offense, totally sucks.

Never have I seen forwards fail to crash, or jam, the net, the crease or the slot , as much as this team.

There is, absolutely, no rotation on the power play.

And, head passing on breakouts is non existent.

Off wings are not skating.

If you don't have the puck on your stick, you're a spectator.

Bobby Francis needs to be fired, and, unfortunately, because of money, he wasn't.

Cland

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rattler Rod
Bobby Francis has been the "major" problem for three years, now. His offensive philosophy, and what he is teaching the offense, totally sucks.

Never have I seen forwards fail to crash, or jam, the net, the crease or the slot , as much as this team.

There is, absolutely, no rotation on the power play.

And, head passing on breakouts is non existent.

Off wings are not skating.

If you don't have the puck on your stick, you're a spectator.

Bobby Francis needs to be fired, and, unfortunately, because of money, he wasn't.

You have some good points Rod. I thought Bobby was the man a couple years ago but I have lost a lot of faith in him. I think he let the Adams trophy go to his. Especially with his Sedona bonding trip last summer. Suddenly he turned into the Zen Master. However, I wouldn't say he's been the major problem the last couple years. Like every sport, coaches get too much credit when things go good (2 years ago) and too much of the blame when things go bad (last year).

Yeah no one on this roster is willing to pay the price in front of the net unfortunately. I don't think thats Bobby's teaching though. Abid filled that role while he was up and for some unknown reason he was traded.

And no one on this team knows how to pass either. They can't get out of their zone, and if they do manage to get control of the zone on the power play, they can't move it around enough to get D's to back off.

And the most disheartening thing about this year was the way everyone quit. Doan was the only one on this team that showed me any character last year.

Rattler Rod

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cland, you said the following:

"Yeah no one on this roster is willing to pay the price in front of the net unfortunately. I don't think thats Bobby's teaching though. Abid filled that role while he was up and for some unknown reason he was traded."

....................................................................................................

I say:

It may not be his teaching, but , as head coach, when he runs practice sessions, the whistle he has around his neck should be in his mouth, and he should be blowing on it, stopping play, and, if necessary, go back to basics and positional play, especially in front of the net, the slot and even on power plays regarding rotation and puck movement.

I coached for many years, and even when my players thought they knew it all, time always came about for a return to basics...and they need to have it drawn out for them....

That is what a head coach gets paid for.

Cland

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rattler Rod

I say:

It may not be his teaching, but , as head coach, when he runs practice sessions, the whistle he has around his neck should be in his mouth, and he should be blowing on it, stopping play, and, if necessary, go back to basics and positional play, especially in front of the net, the slot and even on power plays regarding rotation and puck movement.

I coached for many years, and even when my players thought they knew it all, time always came about for a return to basics...and they need to have it drawn out for them....

That is what a head coach gets paid for.

I couldn't agree more Rod. My point is I'm sure he's telling them to go to the net and create traffic but they aren't doing it.