AYTON TRADED!

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
He doesn't just disappear he's literally a giant dramatic anticlimactic distraction - not only did we we rob the city of Portland and it's fans - we left a virus in return - chemistry depleting self defeating chest beating virus

I'm not even sorry for being so insistent on getting him the hell out of here - but I'm glad we didn't let the Pacers just take over payments because Nurk and Grayson have been amazing

So while I'm not very grateful for the time he spent here last couple years - I am more than ecstatic on who we got for him so for that - thank you DeAndre Ayton

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I said it before, Monty was blamed for Ayton being Ayton. He couldn't get through to him but no one can. It's no coincidence the best basketball of Ayton's career came in the 21 playoffs when he was months from an extension. He turned it on then but that's the only time he wasn't incredibly underwhelming. He was still frustrating and had plenty of lapses but he looked like a lottery pick on par with others from his draft class. When he didn't get paid like he felt he should he pouted and disappeared more often. Some pointed to the playoffs as a sign we should have paid him but a lot of long time NBA fans had seen that show before, player balls out when trying to secure new contract.

He was still overpaid but I bet Indiana is ecstatic we matched their mistake of an offer sheet, and that we didn't pull the trigger on an Ayton/Sabonis trade earlier. They're in a great spot now because they didn't end up with that headache.

I will not be surprised if he pulls a Latrell Spreewell and whines about a fair extension when his deal is nearing it's end and he'll end up with no significant offers. Hope he enjoys early retirement.
Still when you have problem players, you pair them up with a veteran to babysit them. Jack Haley was hired to just keep Rodman on his schedule of practices and games. Making the team bus on time, etc. It's a shame you have to do this, but with Rodman's play, you do what you have to do. I am surprised the Suns didn't have an assistant coach specifically just for Ayton to be a Jack Haley.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He doesn't just disappear he's literally a giant dramatic anticlimactic distraction - not only did we we rob the city of Portland and it's fans - we left a virus in return - chemistry eating self defeating chest beating virus

I'm not even sorry for being so insistent on getting him the hell out of here - but I'm glad we didn't let the Pacers just take over payments because Nurk and Grayson have been amazing

So while I'm not very grateful for the time he spent here last couple years - I am more than ecstatic on who we got for him so for that - thank you DeAndre Ayton
If he just played as hard as Nurkic, with his physical talents, he could be in the top three of centers in the NBA right now. His limiting factor is between his ears.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Still when you have problem players, you pair them up with a veteran to babysit them. Jack Haley was hired to just keep Rodman on his schedule of practices and games. Making the team bus on time, etc. It's a shame you have to do this, but with Rodman's play, you do what you have to do. I am surprised the Suns didn't have an assistant coach specifically just for Ayton to be a Jack Haley.
To be fair, Rodman had already solidified himself as a top tier defender and rebounder before receiving that treatment. Ayton has not proven anything in this league and thus teams are not going to bend over backwards to hold his hand through everything.

It's also quite different being a guy that makes sure someone makes it to team functions on time and actually getting them motivated to play hard.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
To be fair, Rodman had already solidified himself as a top tier defender and rebounder before receiving that treatment. Ayton has not proven anything in this league and thus teams are not going to bend over backwards to hold his hand through everything.

It's also quite different being a guy that makes sure someone makes it to team functions on time and actually getting them motivated to play hard.
Ayton's best seasons were early on. Then he basically disintegrated. To be fair, part of that is coaching. Part of it is Ayton, too. He was a raw natural asset. That is precisely when guys need that help. They need to learn how to be a professional. Yesterday, Roddy was saying it's taking him this long to learn that.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Ayton's best seasons were early on. Then he basically disintegrated. To be fair, part of that is coaching. Part of it is Ayton, too. He was a raw natural asset. That is precisely when guys need that help. They need to learn how to be a professional. Yesterday, Roddy was saying it's taking him this long to learn that.
Sure, but as I said Ayton's biggest issue is consistently playing with effort and it doesn't appear anything other than playing for a contract was able to get him to play with effort. Not sure they could have relied on anyone to get him to consistently play with effort.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, but as I said Ayton's biggest issue is consistently playing with effort and it doesn't appear anything other than playing for a contract was able to get him to play with effort. Not sure they could have relied on anyone to get him to consistently play with effort.
Yeah, by far he was at his best during his contract year and at his worst the first season after we matched Indiana's offer. But even in his best year, he still disappointed. His value on defense was fairly consistent but typical of DA's pro and college career, he'd go invisible on offense for long stretches.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s interesting, with Ayton gone we really haven’t seen much of Finito, his greatest champion. Is this and Andrew-shaq thing?

It's funny because he'd constantly say he wasn't an Ayton cheerleader but felt he got a rap. Now that Ayton has been dealt and exposed as a lazy stat padder, his biggest fan has been outed also. I don't see how else someone can spin it, I'm sure he'll try though.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We had Tyson Chandler under contract for 1 final year when Ayton was a rookie. If you remember though we ended up waiving him just before the season started. I recall most of us thought he'd be a perfect mentor for Ayton entering the league and since he was expiring it made zero sense to cut him loose. He had value in a trade as an expiring contract but James Jones let him go and he signed for the minimum in LA as a welcoming present for LeBron. That was JJ's first move as GM as McD was fired just before that happened. I wonder if Tyson could have helped Ayton some. I also wonder if Tyson wanted out because he knew he was losing his starting job to someone who didn't care about basketball.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Take a deep breath with your hands over your head while making fists with your hands and toes.
Now let all that go with the realization that he's not our problem anymore.

That feeling is called Nirvana
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry I passed out, but you get it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finito defended Ayton but he didn’t seem like the type of poster that would disappear for that reason IMO. Hope you’re okay @Finito !
I thought the same. He used to post all of the different parts of the board. Definitely not an Andrew type, despite his perplexing and never ending defense for everything DeAndre Ayton.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remembered despite all my coworkers telling me how good Dončić was going to be that I just couldn't see it. I thought he would really struggle to defend quicker players… that was accurate. I also thought that the longer, Athletic defenders in the NBA would give him trouble.

No, I wanted to trade back and take Mo Bamba, so what the hell do I know? I loved the move to get bridges. He was my favorite player in the draft but I knew number one was too early for him.

SGA, dončić, JJJ along with bridges would have been an incredible draft. Still, even though that's a bummer to think about it wasn't the wiff the Jackson bust. My guy was LM, and I was outspoken against taking Fox because I don't like guards who can't shoot consistently from outside. Obviously I was wrong on fox.

I'm just glad Utah took Trey Lyle, so Booker was the only real Choice for us there in that draft.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, by far he was at his best during his contract year and at his worst the first season after we matched Indiana's offer. But even in his best year, he still disappointed. His value on defense was fairly consistent but typical of DA's pro and college career, he'd go invisible on offense for long stretches.
That's a good point that I hadn't thought about. He was rarely even consistent across the span of a single game. He would often start a game with a bunch of points and then disappear for most of the rest of the game. I always wondered why that was and if it was how the Suns were using him but now I'm realizing that was just him and his inconsistent effort.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finito defended Ayton but he didn’t seem like the type of poster that would disappear for that reason IMO. Hope you’re okay @Finito !
Oh wow. Had not realized it's been some time since we heard from Finito. I remember when Andrew up and went as soon as Shaq was traded.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe he’s busy?

Maybe he was promoted and is a General Foreman and works 12 hour days cause the entire job is on his back now?

Maybe he’s going through a divorce?

I’ve been a member of this board since 2007 I’ve seen em come and I’ve seen em go and people think I would leave because of DeAndre Ayton? Seriously. I’m on record saying to trade him for Vucevic I’m on record saying trade him for Sabonis.

I’m not a blind cheerleader for any player but what I did not do that a lot of guys did who now act like they never did it was blame him for absolutely everything.

You don’t see me in the boxing forum, the music forums. I’m busy but that’s adorable you think I left because of Ayton. A guy who’s not even on this team anymore and yet here you are still posting about him. Says a lot

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Maybe he’s busy?

Maybe he was promoted and is a General Foreman and works 12 hour days cause the entire job is on his back now?

I’ve been a member of this board since 2007 I’ve seen em come and I’ve seen em go and people think I would leave because of DeAndre Ayton? Seriously. I’m on record saying to trade him for Vucevic I’m on record saying trade him for Sabonis.

I’m not a blind cheerleader for any player but what I did not do that a lot of guys did who now act like they never did it was blame him for absolutely everything.

You don’t see me in the boxing forum, the music forums. I’m busy but that’s adorable you think I left because of Ayton. A guy who’s not even on this team anymore and yet here you are still posting about him. Says a lot
You good

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Maybe he’s busy?

So (A) glad to see you’re around; (B) congrats on promotion; (C) sorry to hear about divorce, that’s never fun; and (D) love that you come roaring back still kinda on the attack about anything Ayton. Good stuff.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe he’s busy?

Sorry to hear you going through some stuff. Hopefully, you get a break and will be back soon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard