AYTON TRADED!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I literally know people who absolutely despised him from the jump and wanted him to fail.

I am not saying this is some large swath of people, but I personally know a couple (one of them being an uncle) and you could absolutely a few loud hecklers basically every single game for years and years.

I really am surprised that you find this surprising. The hatred between UofA and ASU, going both ways, is absolutely insane with some people.
I think for the vast majority of Phoenix fans, regardless of which University they support, their love of the Suns trumps their dislike of the Wildcats or Sun Devils. I'm not surprised there are exceptions though.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No, I literally know people who absolutely despised him from the jump and wanted him to fail.

I am not saying this is some large swath of people, but I personally know a couple (one of them being an uncle) and you could absolutely a few loud hecklers basically every single game for years and years.

I really am surprised that you find this surprising. The hatred between UofA and ASU, going both ways, is absolutely insane with some people.
While I'm sure there were some ASU fans who may have been biased against him, I found the UofA fans to be far more vocal in defending him and blaming everyone but Ayton for his own shortcomings than I saw undeserved hate from ASU fans.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While I'm sure there were some ASU fans who may have been biased against him, I found the UofA fans to be far more vocal in defending him and blaming everyone but Ayton for his own shortcomings than I saw undeserved hate from ASU fans.

Especially here on this forum. I honestly can't recall any ASU fans being overly critical of Ayton, with the possible exception of when he was in negotiations for his extension. I only mention that time because that was probably the most critical everyone was of him, not that I remember anyone specifically rooting against him due to college allegiances but it was more contentious then than any other point in his tenure, IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. But it was still a small number either way. Most of us wanted him to succeed and hated his inconsistent play.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was just looking at the history of the Suns and they never found a dominating center to join their lineup. It was almost destined that Ayton would be our choice in the draft. We STILL are looking for that dominating center. The problem is, the game has moved away from needing a dominating center to win. I don't count Amar'e as a true center because he really would have been a PF on any other team. Alvin Adams would be great today, but he played back when centers were bullies and was always getting beat up on defense. Mark West was good defensively but could score his way out of a layup with a ladder or a trampoline.

Check this list out of Suns great centers, it's pitiful: Suns great centers ranked

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said it before, Monty was blamed for Ayton being Ayton. He couldn't get through to him but no one can. It's no coincidence the best basketball of Ayton's career came in the 21 playoffs when he was months from an extension. He turned it on then but that's the only time he wasn't incredibly underwhelming. He was still frustrating and had plenty of lapses but he looked like a lottery pick on par with others from his draft class. When he didn't get paid like he felt he should he pouted and disappeared more often. Some pointed to the playoffs as a sign we should have paid him but a lot of long time NBA fans had seen that show before, player balls out when trying to secure new contract.

He was still overpaid but I bet Indiana is ecstatic we matched their mistake of an offer sheet, and that we didn't pull the trigger on an Ayton/Sabonis trade earlier. They're in a great spot now because they didn't end up with that headache.

I will not be surprised if he pulls a Latrell Spreewell and whines about a fair extension when his deal is nearing it's end and he'll end up with no significant offers. Hope he enjoys early retirement.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said it before, Monty was blamed for Ayton being Ayton. He couldn't get through to him but no one can. It's no coincidence the best basketball of Ayton's career came in the 21 playoffs when he was months from an extension. He turned it on then but that's the only time he wasn't incredibly underwhelming. He was still frustrating and had plenty of lapses but he looked like a lottery pick on par with others from his draft class. When he didn't get paid like he felt he should he pouted and disappeared more often. Some pointed to the playoffs as a sign we should have paid him but a lot of long time NBA fans had seen that show before, player balls out when trying to secure new contract.

He was still overpaid but I bet Indiana is ecstatic we matched their mistake of an offer sheet, and that we didn't pull the trigger on an Ayton/Sabonis trade earlier. They're in a great spot now because they didn't end up with that headache.

I will not be surprised if he pulls a Latrell Spreewell and whines about a fair extension when his deal is nearing it's end and he'll end up with no significant offers. Hope he enjoys early retirement.
I think there was some thought around Monty's lack of development in some parts of Ayton's game (which I agree with) but I think the prevailing thought here was that most of Ayton's problems were on Ayton. Most fans I think realized this dude was a headcase early on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think there was some thought around Monty's lack of development in some parts of Ayton's game (which I agree with) but I think the prevailing thought here was that most of Ayton's problems were on Ayton. Most fans I think realized this dude was a headcase early on.
Yup just a couple in whose eyes he could do no wrong, or who chose to blame everyone else for his shortcomings. I always legitimately hoped he’d be more but I couldn’t deny what my eyes screamed at me night after night.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude gives honest effort on both ends about once every month, usually right after one of his worst games and the humiliation forces him to try, but the feeling of shame is fleeting and quickly wiped away by one good effort... allowing for another month of garbage play because... hey, he's already proved himself.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It sounds like the Suns traded Ayton at the right time.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I know we started to compare him to Joe Barry Carroll - i.e., famously nicknamed Joe "Barely Cares."

But that's beginning to look like a bit of a slight on Carroll. After all, Joe may have "barely" cared, but at least he cared a little.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we started to compare him to Joe Barry Carroll - i.e., famously nicknamed Joe "Barely Cares."

But that's beginning to look like a bit of a slight on Carroll. After all, Joe may have "barely" cared, but at least he cared a little.

It's hard for me to understand a player giving less than 100% effort.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s interesting, with Ayton gone we really haven’t seen much of Finito, his greatest champion. Is this and Andrew-shaq thing?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s interesting, with Ayton gone we really haven’t seen much of Finito, his greatest champion. Is this and Andrew-shaq thing?

It's funny because he'd constantly say he wasn't an Ayton cheerleader but felt he got a rap. Now that Ayton has been dealt and exposed as a lazy stat padder, his biggest fan has been outed also. I don't see how else someone can spin it, I'm sure he'll try though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd