Ayton paid $10,000/month in college

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW the interesting thing in that story is Schlabach does NOT mention his own story alleging the 100K to Ayton.

It's an interesting point. Maybe he wants to stay out of it as much as possible until the smoke clears.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
What is UofA MBB worried about by keeping Miller on and letting him continue to buy recruiting classes, vacating those second round NCAA loses?

KU ineligible players =2

UofA ineligible players = 0

Don’t forget Bill Self getting caught on text messages.

Plus, there’s more evidence that KU tried to pay Ayton than Arizona.

TJ

Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For the miller defenders:

What is the possible answer to this question:

Why would book and Dawkins make those recorded comments in their calls about miller having it handled or whatever if they didn’t know it was being recorded and was going to be relied upon as part of their defense? I always look for the motive behind comments to ferret out the veracity. What resin other than miller having it handled would there be for those comments that points in any direction away from millers guilt?

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KU ineligible players =2

Got under your skin did I? Least we have a FF for our troubles. You keep winning recruiting titles though.

Hahaha.

Do you really think Miller is innocent? Seriously?

TJ

Reaction score
Got under your skin did I? Least we have a FF for our troubles. You keep winning recruiting titles though.

Hahaha.

Do you really think Miller is innocent? Seriously?
Nope. Just stating the facts.

There are about 30-35 schools implicated and their fans are better served sitting this one out in fear of looking like hypocrites.

As for Miller? I don’t know. But before I crucify him, I want to see something more than botched Yahoo and ESPN articles and crooks embellishing their relationships with people. Ask Duke Lacrosse what irresponsible ESPN reporting has done to its reputation.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
For the miller defenders:

What is the possible answer to this question:

Why would book and Dawkins make those recorded comments in their calls about miller having it handled or whatever if they didn’t know it was being recorded and was going to be relied upon as part of their defense? I always look for the motive behind comments to ferret out the veracity. What resin other than miller having it handled would there be for those comments that points in any direction away from millers guilt?

Book lied on wiretaps that he didn’t know were being recorded. I’m not sure why not knowing you’re being tapped makes you credible. I can’t go into Book’s head why he’s telling Dawkins everything he did.

As for the optics they’re awful and I’ve always said if they had fired Miller for Book’s actions alone back in 2017 it would be justified. Miller is a control freak and 100% knew was a reckless loudmouth who many think was getting paid by PGU for recruiting info. That is why I’ve never called Miller “innocent” but I feel he’s innocent of directly paying kids. If every head coach who had assistants that were dealings with agents/runners you’d have a lot of coaching vacancies.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because he knows it’s bulls***

Again I now suspect that story was based on the tape played last week. he was told Miller and Dawkins it's actually Book and Dawkins talking about Miller. He was told 100K, it's actually 10K a month which adds up to 100K if you do the math.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KU ineligible players =2

To be fair, DeSousa was only ineligible because he was still in school when it came out in a trial, if Ayton or Alkins had still been in school they'd have been ruled ineligible too IMO.

Preston was a different story if you go back I dropped hints here for months about how I hoped UCLA would stop recruiting him, academics, his mom seemed like she was goign to be difficult etc. And remember, the NCAA didn't suspend Preston, Kansas did, they only held him out pending a response from the NCAA on if he was cleared or not. The NCAA never ruled, so he gave up and turned pro in Bosnia or something like that. I'm sure Preston did what people said, that the car he got into the accident in was not his, shades of Stanley Johnson right before he turned pro while Arizona sites were all reporting he might stay. Then it came out he'd been in a car accident in a brand new car and it became clear he had an agent. In his case it was after his freshman year, Preston did it during his.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Book lied on wiretaps that he didn’t know were being recorded. I’m not sure why not knowing you’re being tapped makes you credible. I can’t go into Book’s head why he’s telling Dawkins everything he did.

As for the optics they’re awful and I’ve always said if they had fired Miller for Book’s actions alone back in 2017 it would be justified. Miller is a control freak and 100% knew was a reckless loudmouth who many think was getting paid by PGU for recruiting info. That is why I’ve never called Miller “innocent” but I feel he’s innocent of directly paying kids. If every head coach who had assistants that were dealings with agents/runners you’d have a lot of coaching vacancies.
Again i’d have to understand the motive for book to lie to Dawkins about millers actions. What does book have to gain from telling Dawkins Miller has em in the bag if it’s a lie? Why would he have to lie.

TJ

Reaction score
Again I now suspect that story was based on the tape played last week. he was told Miller and Dawkins it's actually Book and Dawkins talking about Miller. He was told 100K, it's actually 10K a month which adds up to 100K if you do the math.

I suspect you’re smart enough to know that the Schlabach hit piece was obliterated by multiple outlets to the point in which he had to offer four retractions, can’t discuss the report publicly as ordered by ESPN and has seemingly disappeared from Twitter since the article was challenged. Nothing from that report has any merit.

Plus, how come an FBI investigation into Miller and Ayton did not find any trace of this? At a certain point, even people from Tempe and Westwood have to admit that the details are very hazy.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Again i’d have to understand the motive for book to lie to Dawkins about millers actions. What does book have to gain from telling Dawkins Miller has em in the bag if it’s a lie? Why would he have to lie.

Idk his motive for telling Dawkins that. The thing I’d like to know is what he told federal investigators when asked about those comments.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big time college athletes getting paid under the table?? Whaaaaaaaa

I’m shocked

Has anyone seen the 30 for 30 on Marcus Dupree and the bidding war that happened between Texas business men

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope. Just stating the facts.

There are about 30-35 schools implicated and their fans are better served sitting this one out in fear of looking like hypocrites.

As for Miller? I don’t know. But before I crucify him, I want to see something more than botched Yahoo and ESPN articles and crooks embellishing their relationships with people. Ask Duke Lacrosse what irresponsible ESPN reporting has done to its reputation.

I have no fear of being a hypocrite. I have no doubt Adidas was paying kids and directing them to KU. We are their flagship school, just like Duke is to Nike.

UofA isn’t close to being that highly considered or prestigious which is probably why Miller is paying the kids himself.

Let’s face it, UofA is like the LSU of the west, nobody does less with more than those programs.

You’re not even getting wins with your corruption. How sucky is that?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the idea is Book is trying to tell Dawkins there is competition for Ayton so that Dawkins will give Book more money. It's certainly plausible but the problem is there are 2 separate sources that say the same thing, Ayton was getting paid and there was competition for his services. It came out in the first trial that Kansas was trying to pay people around Ayton, and it came out in Avenatti's recent stuff against Nike including copies of receipts that appear to show Nike paid money to Ayton's mom. That's not MIller directly but the point is if those 2 sources are accurate, Ayton lied about not taking money so given the "hey he's a liar" defense being used with Book and Dawkins, why do we believe Ayton on anything?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect you’re smart enough to know that the Schlabach hit piece was obliterated by multiple outlets to the point in which he had to offer four retractions, can’t discuss the report publicly as ordered by ESPN and has seemingly disappeared from Twitter since the article was challenged. Nothing from that report has any merit.

Plus, how come an FBI investigation into Miller and Ayton did not find any trace of this? At a certain point, even people from Tempe and Westwood have to admit that the details are very hazy.

Again I think the story played in court was the tape Schlabach's report was based on so it obviously has lots of facts wrong.

If we assume that's true, when the FBI looked they had Dawkins and Book on tape talking about Miller, that's enough for an NCAA investigation but it's not enough for a federal indictment, the burden of proof is completely different in a legal case. And also as I posted before, going after Miller in this case would actually undermine the whole case by the Feds, they're talking about bribery, fraud and conspiracy, if Sean Miller is paying players without being paid himself that proves he was breaking rules without being bribed.

I don't think Miller is dumb enough to hand a recruit his own money, but I also think I don't entirely buy the notion that these conversatiosn on tape are totally made up. They don't know they're being recorded so they're not acting for others. If they're acting for each other it explains some of it, Book trying to get more money from Dawkins, Dawkins trying to make it clear to Book I do have a relationship with Miller(so if you're lying to me I'm going to find out from him) but it doesn't explain the whole thing.

I think the biggest issue for Miller and Arizona, as Scheer keeps sayign with all the contradictions with Dawkins, is you can't in one sentence say Sean Miller is a control freak, and then in the next sentence say he had 3 coaches on his staff breaking NCAA rules, or trying to, and he didn't know about any of it. You can't say we had this great program of compliance, we kept logs we tracked this and that, and then say oh Book was a rogue coach Miller didnt' know what he was doing. Pasternack was a rogue coach Miller didn't know about his involvement(alleged in teh first trial by Bowen's dad, in the original FBI story, and in the Yahoo emails and texts). Phelps was a rogue coach. You can't have 3 of the 4 coaches on your staff be "rogue" coaches, with a control freak head coach.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It started 3 months ago. ESPN is just using this to once again run down a timeline of all the stuff Arizona is involved with b/c it’s convenient timing with the trial.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-inves...iller-faces-complicated-future-234415126.html

I think the title of the story is poorly worded but that and the Pascoe story both make it clear that as recently as Feb, Arizona denied there was an investigation but now confirmed there is one. They won't give the details despite the FOIA requests so both are just reporting when Arizona confirmed it, as the start date. I think they both know that's not the actual start date.

And I think Scheer knows that too he's just being the semantics police because it's easier than accepting they are in fact being investigated right now which contradicts his reporting for months the NCAA, and the FBI, have already cleared them. in fact one of the stories out yesterday said Arizona is still cooperating with the Feds.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the idea is Book is trying to tell Dawkins there is competition for Ayton so that Dawkins will give Book more money. It's certainly plausible but the problem is there are 2 separate sources that say the same thing, Ayton was getting paid and there was competition for his services. It came out in the first trial that Adidas was trying to pay people around Ayton, and it came out in Avenatti's recent stuff against Nike including copies of receipts that appear to show Nike paid money to Ayton's mom. That's not MIller directly but the point is if those 2 sources are accurate, Ayton lied about not taking money so given the "hey he's a liar" defense being used with Book and Dawkins, why do we believe Ayton on anything?

FYP above.

The question for UofA regarding Ayton, like Zion and Bagley, if other parties were trying to buy the players, what kind of delusion must you be under to think they choose your school under completely ethical circumstances.

At least Duke fans have “Hey, we’re Duke” to fall back on, but what does No TV, no success UofA have?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYP above.

The question for UofA regarding Ayton, like Zion and Bagley, if other parties were trying to buy the players, what kind of delusion must you be under to think they choose your school under completely ethical circumstances.

Exactly, if Kansas via Adidas was going to pay Ayton, why would he choose Arizona for free? The it's his home angle is hard to swallow he's not from Arizona and it wasn't even his first home in the US, San Diego was.

On Bagley there are all these claims that the amount being thrown around was 250K, USC was the runner up, and at one point of course UCLA was the presumed leader before Nike stepped up the offer. So even as a UCLA fan it'd be pretty naive of me to believe that UCLA lost Bagley because they weren't willing to pay him via Adidas, they lost him because Nike outbid Adidas. That's why that recruitment changed. If you go back and look at the Bagley stuff there was a point where lots of people thought he was going to UCLA and then suddenly almost overnight, Duke was the leader, USC had replaced UCLA in the LA market, and Arizona who hadn't even been recruiting him for months, was back on his list. People forget Bagley had an official visit to ARizona all lined up, the only reason he didn't go is he reclassified up a year(to his original class) and Arizona had no scholarships. In the end officially his final 3 was Duke, USC and UCLA but UCLA had known for weeks he wasn't coming and he basically just left them on his list. At some point it became crystal clear he was going to a Nike school he'd added back Arizona, he was getting involved with Kentucky, but clearly Nike wanted him at Duke so it happened.

Do I think Miller directly paid Ayton likely not, it'd be stupid to do that, do I believe for a minute Ayton went to ARizona for free, no, and in fact even the people who originally defended Arizona in the ESPN story, have all said they expect Ayton got paid, they just didn't think Dawkins was involved in the payments.