Audio Books

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
For those of you who listen to audio books, do you listen while you're working/doing something else or do you shut out all distractions and just listen?

I know I can't concentrate enough to be able to listen to books while I work, so I'm curious how others use audio books.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you who listen to audio books, do you listen while you're working/doing something else or do you shut out all distractions and just listen?

I know I can't concentrate enough to be able to listen to books while I work, so I'm curious how others use audio books.

I can listen during yard work, housework, etc. Cant follow them doing much else.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I'm painting the house, or cleaning stuff (mindless chores and we seem to be painting a lot...our house and mother in law's house) I listen.

If I go exercise, I'll listen.

I listen in the car on the way to work and back.

Can't listen and concentrate on another task (playing a game, work, etc.)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I used to have a job with the post office doing data entry, audio books really helped pass the time.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I travel a lot for work and when ever I know I'm going to be in the car for along time I'll get an audio book.

Truck stops are the best because you can get audio books for around 10 bucks.

the donald

Reaction score
since reading harry potter i have listyened to it about 3 times on audiobook while playing games. but i don't like going to the library, and i would rather read than listen to an audiobook.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Where do you guys download your audio books from? Is there a cheaper way than paying for them at Itunes? I found one free site, but their selection is very small.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get them from the library and rip them into itunes...for the most part.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I get them from the library and rip them into itunes...for the most part.

Is there something you do to change the format from WMA? I was trying to download from the library yesterday, but it was telling me that WMA is not compatible with itunes.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there something you do to change the format from WMA? I was trying to download from the library yesterday, but it was telling me that WMA is not compatible with itunes.

I just get the audio books on CD, and rip them directly into Itunes (join the CD tracks into one long track though).

I don't download them from the library though...

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just get the audio books on CD, and rip them directly into Itunes (join the CD tracks into one long track though).

I don't download them from the library though...

Ahhh, yeah that's much simpler, I think I'll go that route. I've been doing that with music CDs. The Phoenix library system has pretty much everything ever made it seems. Sometimes you have to request a couple different copies though because they're too scratched.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, yeah that's much simpler, I think I'll go that route. I've been doing that with music CDs. The Phoenix library system has pretty much everything ever made it seems. Sometimes you have to request a couple different copies though because they're too scratched.

http://aldoblog.com/audiobooks/itunes/importing-audio-cds/

That is important stuff to know when importing them. You have to join them and then name them 01, 02, etc. If you don't join them, making a playlist for them is a nightmare. Don't forget to make them all skipped in shuffling too. I also preset equalizers on them (all under the get info tab). Once you get the hang of it, it's a simple process. Just remember to say you do NOT want to import the CD when you first put it in.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
http://aldoblog.com/audiobooks/itunes/importing-audio-cds/

That is important stuff to know when importing them. You have to join them and then name them 01, 02, etc. If you don't join them, making a playlist for them is a nightmare. Don't forget to make them all skipped in shuffling too. I also preset equalizers on them (all under the get info tab). Once you get the hang of it, it's a simple process. Just remember to say you do NOT want to import the CD when you first put it in.

Outstanding. Thanks!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many people listen to books rather than reading them for different reasons, but an audio book library online can provide hours of entertainment and education for all of these people. An audio book library online often has many options for people with different needs and desires. In recent years, audio books have become extremely popular.

Thank you prijipedia.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I listen in the car (I have about a half hour commute). I used to always have one going, but I haven't listened to an audio book in months....maybe even going on a year? I dunno. I like them, though.