Steam Deck

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm quite late to the party, but it sounds like they've got most of the bugs worked out and this is a legit option nowadays. The OLED version looks pretty slick and between that and the expansion deck I could find myself playing a bunch of games that aren't available on Xbox consoles while on the go and at home with my Xbox controllers. Who's using them and what do you like/dislike?

I think there are some hardware options outside of the Valve universe as well and I'm open to hearing about those too.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't really seen a need for a steam deck. In fact, I have only recently started PC gaming hard core. My buddy bought one day one and he almost never used it.

It is cool when I played it, but for the price I don't see it.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't really seen a need for a steam deck. In fact, I have only recently started PC gaming hard core. My buddy bought one day one and he almost never used it.

It is cool when I played it, but for the price I don't see it.

The reasons it's appealing to me:

Mobile
Access to games beyond the xbox console ecosystem
Eliminates need for gaming specific PC
Can dock and play in main room with xbox controllers

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reasons it's appealing to me:

Mobile
Access to games beyond the xbox console ecosystem
Eliminates need for gaming specific PC
Can dock and play in main room with xbox controllers
I can definitely see the appeal for some. I don't mobile game much, and even my switch is in docked mode 99%. Not needing a gaming PC to play games would be a big appeal if I didn't have a good PC.

Are you looking to get one new or aftermarket? The prices in the aftermarket are really good when I briefly looked into it maybe a month or two ago.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can definitely see the appeal for some. I don't mobile game much, and even my switch is in docked mode 99%. Not needing a gaming PC to play games would be a big appeal if I didn't have a good PC.

Are you looking to get one new or aftermarket? The prices in the aftermarket are really good when I briefly looked into it maybe a month or two ago.

I have terrible luck in aftermarket, so I'd only be looking at new. It's not cheap, no doubt, which is why I'm trying to solicit some feedback from folks I know aren't shills.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have terrible luck in aftermarket, so I'd only be looking at new. It's not cheap, no doubt, which is why I'm trying to solicit some feedback from folks I know aren't shills.
I played Spiderman 2 on it before the game was officially released and it ran as smooth as PS5. I think the performance that the device has is solid.

I also think you are the perfect market for it. If I were spending the type of money that those cost, I wouldn't get anything but the 1TB. I definitely wouldn't get the 256 when the 512 is just a little bit more.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, if you do get one and you are looking to build up your PC collection, your first stop should be gg.deals. In fact, you should go there before buying any game. It shops around to find you the best price/place.

Also be sure to go to Fanatical and Humble Bundle to get bundles of games to quickly build up your collection. I'm a bit obsessed with buying PC games for as cheap as $1.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm quite late to the party, but it sounds like they've got most of the bugs worked out and this is a legit option nowadays. The OLED version looks pretty slick and between that and the expansion deck I could find myself playing a bunch of games that aren't available on Xbox consoles while on the go and at home with my Xbox controllers. Who's using them and what do you like/dislike?

I think there are some hardware options outside of the Valve universe as well and I'm open to hearing about those too.
Late to this thread but I love my Steam Deck, but if you're wanting to use it as a gaming PC replacement you'll probably be left wanting. Here are some in depth unbiased reviews for the deck, ROG Ally and Lenovo Legion if you are interested.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If you are mostly looking for an option that will be docked to give you the best performance the ROG Ally Z1 Extreme($700), but outside of that most people I've seen review or even discuss the options perfer the Steam Deck. The Deck has much better OS, batter life and controller scheme.

One other thing to keep in mind if thinking of it as a gaming PC replacement, the optmization for a lot of AAA cross platform games have been horribly optimized at launch for PCs in recent years. So if those are the games you are interested in you'll be rolling the dice on if they ever get patched enough to be playable on these devices(without using a streaming service like GeForce Now).

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Late to this thread but I love my Steam Deck, but if you're wanting to use it as a gaming PC replacement you'll probably be left wanting. Here are some in depth unbiased reviews for the deck, ROG Ally and Lenovo Legion if you are interested.

If you are mostly looking for an option that will be docked to give you the best performance the ROG Ally Z1 Extreme($700), but outside of that most people I've seen review or even discuss the options perfer the Steam Deck. The Deck has much better OS, batter life and controller scheme.

One other thing to keep in mind if thinking of it as a gaming PC replacement, the optmization for a lot of AAA cross platform games have been horribly optimized at launch for PCs in recent years. So if those are the games you are interested in you'll be rolling the dice on if they ever get patched enough to be playable on these devices(without using a streaming service like GeForce Now).

That's all very helpful. I'll check out those vids when a get some free time. Much obliged!