ASU Hoops recruiting: Jabari Brown to visit

HooverDam

Reaction score
This probably isn't thread worthy and I thought I had created an ASU Hoops recruiting thread, but perhaps not. Anyhow, 2011 recruit Jabari Brown is visiting ASU on Oct 2nd. He had previously cut ASU off his list of schools but the Jahii Carson commit has gotten ASU back in with Brown. Carson has apparently been in his ear big time about joining him in maroon and gold.

ESPN rates him as a 4 star/96

Rivals has him as a 5 star/#22 overall/#5 SG

Scout has him as a 5 star/#5 SG

Needless to say he'd be a HUGE get for the ASU program. Herb done a terrific job pulling in high quality wings and Brown could very well be the next. It sounds like he's giving ASU a strong look and they may be leaders along with Washington.

If he commits, ASUs wing 2 deep next year would be absolutely bananas:

PG Dunson/Carson
SG Hawkins/Brown
SF Lockett/King

Heck you'd probably even see Lockett at the '4' some just to get the most talent on the court at once. If either Pateev or Bachynski can be even reasonably decent in the post and tip rebounds out to the other quick athletes that team could be the type that goes on a good tourney run.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Less than 0% chance Hawkins starts ahead of Brown, same with Dunson and Jahii.

I listed by Seniority since we don't really know how it will shake out, who goes to more of a 3 position, if King over takes Lockett, etc.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I listed by Seniority since we don't really know how it will shake out, who goes to more of a 3 position, if King over takes Lockett, etc.

King and Lockett probably both start since ASU doesn't really have a true four on the roster. We might not 100% know, but having watched Jabari Brown and Corey Hawkins play on TV I'll tell you that there's almost no chance Hawkins gets the starting nod.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
having watched Jabari Brown and Corey Hawkins play on TV I'll tell you that there's almost no chance Hawkins gets the starting nod.

I agree. Like I said, just listing in order of Seniority. Its just easier for me mentally to keep track of things by listing it that way.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love Jabari Brown, very physically mature kid, really good shooter, can make contested jumpers. Improving his handle.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
What happened to Ben Howland's recruiting? Talk about jumping the shark.

And if Brown goes to ASU the "rivalry" is going to be anything but on the court, ASU and UA's entire 2011 recruiting classes are pretty chummy.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happened to Ben Howland's recruiting? Talk about jumping the shark.

And if Brown goes to ASU the "rivalry" is going to be anything but on the court, ASU and UA's entire 2011 recruiting classes are pretty chummy.

I think he got the best player on the West Coast in Powell, or should I say best prospect. Powell was hurt this summer playing with tendonitis and then a leg injury before shutting it down, so he didn't blow up the way he might have. I think he's going to be better than Brown, but I really like Brown I think he and Powell could have played together but UCLA didn't recruit Brown much early on and when they tried to, he was not interested.

I think obviously getting Turner would have been huge for UCLA and was a big loss to them but Powell was their priority all along. They really wanted Turner but if they could only take one kid it would have been Powell. I thought they were the 2 best players on the West Coast, at least that I've seen.

Apparently he waited to commit because he's been taking SAT classes every weekend and didn't want to take time off to visit UCLA and do the dance.

Brown is from what I hear a very good student. People thought he was a primadonna when he left Findlay but he left to play with his younger brother, people said he left because Findlay demoted him but he says they demoted him because he told them he was leaving.

Isn't ASU on Juan ANderson now too? He's apparently really blowing up, I know Cal is on him he's apparently a terrific athlete himself.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I think he got the best player on the West Coast in Powell, or should I say best prospect. Powell was hurt this summer playing with tendonitis and then a leg injury before shutting it down, so he didn't blow up the way he might have. I think he's going to be better than Brown, but I really like Brown I think he and Powell could have played together but UCLA didn't recruit Brown much early on and when they tried to, he was not interested.
Haha. Powell was only being recruited by UCLA and San Diego State. He's not even close to being the best prospect on the West Coast. I don't think there's one scout that would agree with that assessment especially with all the big-time athletes out there.

I think obviously getting Turner would have been huge for UCLA and was a big loss to them but Powell was their priority all along. They really wanted Turner but if they could only take one kid it would have been Powell. I thought they were the 2 best players on the West Coast, at least that I've seen.
If they wanted Powell over Josiah then why were they pushing so hard for JT when he visited a couple weeks ago?

Isn't ASU on Juan ANderson now too? He's apparently really blowing up, I know Cal is on him he's apparently a terrific athlete himself.
I think so but if they get Brown one would assume they have to go big with their other scholi.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha. Powell was only being recruited by UCLA and San Diego State. He's not even close to being the best prospect on the West Coast. I don't think there's one scout that would agree with that assessment especially with all the big-time athletes out there.

If they wanted Powell over Josiah then why were they pushing so hard for JT when he visited a couple weeks ago?

I think so but if they get Brown one would assume they have to go big with their other scholi.

On the first one check this link http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/991079.html

If you can't see it, it's Greg Hicks list of the top SG prospects for 2011 on the West Coast. He has Powell ranked #1, it's from August, and he's had Powell #1 for months so not just because he committed to UCLA. He says SG is the strongest positon on the West Coast for 2011 and Powell is both the best athlete and the best overall prospect at ANY position on the West Coast. So there's at least one scout who agrees he's the best prospect.

Here is what Biancardi and Francisco of ESPN said of Powell in June(before his injury was slowing him).

2011, SG, 6-2
He continued his torrid spring with his play at this event. Powell is an outstanding shooting guard prospect with elite athleticism, very long arms and a much-improved jump shot. It is still streaky, but he gets great lift on it and his release is fairly quick. Powell attacks the rim in transition and has an assortment of shots (finger rolls, floaters and dunks). He also has a terrific demeanor and plays the game with an even keel. He needs to work on his ball skills, particularly his left hand, but he is very potent pushing the ball in transition and generally makes good decisions. Due to his consistent play and terrific upside, Powell is making a push towards becoming the No. 1 prospect out West for the Class of 2011.

Don't know which of them wrote that but that's 2 or 3 scouts right there. actually scratch that Francisco wrote it. Biancardi ranks both Powell and Johnson as 96(and Brown) but has Johnson 6th, Powell 20th and Brown 7th among shooting guards.

They wanted Josiah too, absolutely, but Powell was the top priority, he had an offer all along even when they were not recruiting Turner because of his academics. Note if it were me, I'd have said PG was the bigger need because in 2012 the only PG on the roster will be Carlino who many say is a SG(I haven't seen him play). But UCLA recruited Powell harder all along. I wish they'd gone after Brown earlier, I never really liked Johnson, he's good I just think he's a tweener and like Biancardi says he's physically maxed out. Give Johnson a chance to plant both feet and he can jump with anybody, but Powell is more explosive and can jump off one foot.

I don't really care who was recruiting or wasn't recruiting Powell he's a better athlete than either Brown or Nick Johnson, he needs to work on some things but his upside is off the charts. Brown is the better shooter and would be a terrific get for ASU. Nick will be good eventually at UA but he might not get to play a whole lot early on. Turner will be a star.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Where's Bank One when you need 'em? We could drum up revenue for both programs ... or not.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score

Yup

Youd sorta think so, but he's visiting on the 2nd, the same day as Jabari Brown, which makes me think they kinda want both of them.

ASU can bring in a 4 man 2011 class. They will need some front court help, someone like Norvelle Pelle, Cannen Cunningham or DeAndre Daniels who they're also in on.

And heck, by Herb Sendek standards, Anderson at 6'6'' is a big. He'd play 4 for ASU.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Hallers update:

Top hoops recruit to visit ASU

Jabari Brown, a 6-foot-5 guard from Oakland, is scheduled to visit Arizona State on Tuesday.

Brown is considered one of the top players of the 2011 class. Recruiting service Rivals ranks him as the nation's No. 5 shooting guard and the 22nd overall prospect. Scout lists Brown as a five-star prospect and the No. 5 shooting guard. ESPN calls Brown one of the best shooters of the class.

Brown visited Connecticut last weekend. He also is considering Washington, Oregon and Georgia Tech. "Every school I could see myself going to," Brown told The Hartford Courant. "I just have to be able to actually go there and experience what life would be like."

Brown told the newspaper that he wants to go someplace where he can improve his skills, develop into an NBA player and contend for a national championship.

Josh Oglesby, a 6-5 shooting guard from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, visited ASU last weekend. According to Internet reports, he is expected to make a college decision Wednesday. Oglesby also is considering Iowa and Minnesota. Scout ranks him as the country's No. 34 shooting guard; Rivals has him at 36.

Mesa High standout point guard Jahii Carson also visited. He committed to the Sun Devils in August. Jordan Tolbert, a 6-7 forward from Texas, was scheduled to visit, but he committed to Texas Tech.

I can't imagine Brown would go to Oregon, that program is going in the wrong direction. ASU certainly has the edge over UCONN & GaTech if proximity to home is at all a factor. UCONN has other issues (coaches age, potential sanctions) too, so it seems like they'd be an odd choice. I'd take a rough guess that ASU & Washington have the best chances of landing him. With Washington originally supposed to be his final visit and him now opening it up more, things are looking better and better for the Devils.

Though Im trying not to get too excited or count my chickens before they hatch, but this would be huge.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine Brown would go to Oregon, that program is going in the wrong direction.

Are you sure about that? They're throwing $220 million at new facilities and just lured a promising new coach. With that kind of commitment, it's hard to say any perception of Oregon going down the drain is justified. They'll have a rough year or two because they're short on numbers, but I'm guessing most people are pretty high on Oregon's future in basketball.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hallers update:

I can't imagine Brown would go to Oregon, that program is going in the wrong direction. ASU certainly has the edge over UCONN & GaTech if proximity to home is at all a factor. UCONN has other issues (coaches age, potential sanctions) too, so it seems like they'd be an odd choice. I'd take a rough guess that ASU & Washington have the best chances of landing him. With Washington originally supposed to be his final visit and him now opening it up more, things are looking better and better for the Devils.

Though Im trying not to get too excited or count my chickens before they hatch, but this would be huge.

There's a guy who posts on BRO all the time who runs a UW site, he says UW wanted Hikeem Stewart over Brown all along. They think they're going to get Wroten too. Both of them are seen as combo guards, and they think they can play together. Wroten is supposed to commit next week and it looks like UW or Louisville although he's got 5 on his list still.

So it wouldn't be too surprising to see Brown end up at ASU.

It's funny the 2011 class was supposed to be really weak on the West Coast but there are a bunch of nice guards.

IF the Pac 10 can keep the 2012 kids home the way they are the 2011 the conference will be back pretty quickly.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
On the first one check this link http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/991079.html

If you can't see it, it's Greg Hicks list of the top SG prospects for 2011 on the West Coast. He has Powell ranked #1, it's from August, and he's had Powell #1 for months so not just because he committed to UCLA. He says SG is the strongest positon on the West Coast for 2011 and Powell is both the best athlete and the best overall prospect at ANY position on the West Coast. So there's at least one scout who agrees he's the best prospect.
You mean the same Greg Hicks who is a Ben Howland lackey and who is the publisher of UCLA's scout website? Sorry if I'll take his opinion with a mountain of salt.

Here is what Biancardi and Francisco of ESPN said of Powell in June(before his injury was slowing him).

2011, SG, 6-2
He continued his torrid spring with his play at this event. Powell is an outstanding shooting guard prospect with elite athleticism, very long arms and a much-improved jump shot. It is still streaky, but he gets great lift on it and his release is fairly quick. Powell attacks the rim in transition and has an assortment of shots (finger rolls, floaters and dunks). He also has a terrific demeanor and plays the game with an even keel. He needs to work on his ball skills, particularly his left hand, but he is very potent pushing the ball in transition and generally makes good decisions. Due to his consistent play and terrific upside, Powell is making a push towards becoming the No. 1 prospect out West for the Class of 2011.
You neglect to mention that he pretty much sucked for the rest of the summer which is why everyone in the Pac-10 except UCLA dropped him. Maybe it was this alleged injury, maybe not but nobody outside of Steve Fisher at SDSU and Ben Howland was recruiting this kid on the West Coast. Not sure I can say he's the best prospect out here with his fan club only consisting of those schools. Especially when kids like Nick Johnson, Josiah Turner, DeAndre Daniels, Jabari Brown, and Jahii Carson had not just several Pac-10 programs but other major players like Kansas, Louisville, UConn, etc. going after them.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean the same Greg Hicks who is a Ben Howland lackey and who is the publisher of UCLA's scout website? Sorry if I'll take his opinion with a mountain of salt.

You neglect to mention that he pretty much sucked for the rest of the summer which is why everyone in the Pac-10 except UCLA dropped him. Maybe it was this alleged injury, maybe not but nobody outside of Steve Fisher at SDSU and Ben Howland was recruiting this kid on the West Coast. Not sure I can say he's the best prospect out here with his fan club only consisting of those schools. Especially when kids like Nick Johnson, Josiah Turner, DeAndre Daniels, Jabari Brown, and Jahii Carson had not just several Pac-10 programs but other major players like Kansas, Louisville, UConn, etc. going after them.

I should add it's the same Greg Hicks who said Turner was the best guard prospect on the West Coast after his freshman year of HS when he had an offer from Santa Clara(Frank Burlison said he actally verballed to Santa Clara before he verballed to ASU although I can't confirm that's true. Then he took a visit to San Jose State while at the Rumble by the Bay that summer. Hicks
was the first scout anywhere to talk up Turner so he does have a track record of recognizing talent. He still has Josiah ranked the 2nd best prospect on the West Coast, him not picking UCLA hasn't changed Greg's opinion of him.

No I already explained why Powell's play fell off. but since you don't seem to accept that he was hurt, here's Greg Hicks again, from July 23rd in Las Vegas on Powell:

Norman Powell, 6-2 SG San Diego (Calif.) Lincoln. Playing with an injured left thigh, and tendonitis acting up in his knee, Powell didn’t look like himself during his 8:00am game Thursday. Then again, a lot of kids don’t look their best at that time in the morning. Powell struggled to play with his normal energy and just had an off game.

Francisco mentioned it in his Vegas review too. Rivals had a story on him that said coaches in Vegas were telling him he should shut it down because he might injure it worse. We were talking about it on UCLA boards at the time how it may be a blessing in disguise because all the schools following Muhammad around would now not see Powell and possibly try to get involved with him.

To be clear, I'm not saying he's the best player, I'm saying he's the best prospect, 2 totally different statements. He's not the best player right now, I would say Brown and Johnson are as good if not better right now than Powell, but Powell has more upside than either one of them because he's not as physically mature as they are, and he's been improving much more rapidly in the last year than they have. Brown is still getting better, Johnson seems to have levelled off. Turner is probably the best player on the West Coast and again I think UCLA needed him more than Powell(because they have Tyler Lamb but don't have a young PG other than Carlino). They are the 2 best prospects, Turner is big enough to play in the NBA, Powell might not be unless like Westbrook he develops into a PG.

I haven't seen enough of Carson to know on him beyond that I know he's smaller than Turner by several inches.

Like I said we'll see when they get here in 2011 but I feel pretty confident that if he stays healthy Powell will be a better player for UCLA than Johnson will for UA, I like Brown a lot but I'd still take Powell over him, he's still filling out physically where Brown is already very strong.

I don't care who did or didn't want Powell, those that didn't will regret it. Arizona didn't want Collison either, worked out pretty well for UCLA. UA never even contacted Westbrook, he worked out pretty well too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
By the by, Browns visit was today, not Oct 2nd like I initially thought. Unfortunately he's taking a visit to Oregon on the 2nd for their game with Stanford. On the one hand I can't see him going there, Oregon has possible sanctions coming down the pike. On the other, 18 year old kids make a lot of crazy decisions I don't understand.

I hope we hear within 24 hours that he's decided to cancel his Oregon trip and come to ASU. I always feel nervous when a kid leaves town without committing.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the by, Browns visit was today, not Oct 2nd like I initially thought. Unfortunately he's taking a visit to Oregon on the 2nd for their game with Stanford. On the one hand I can't see him going there, Oregon has possible sanctions coming down the pike. On the other, 18 year old kids make a lot of crazy decisions I don't understand.

I hope we hear within 24 hours that he's decided to cancel his Oregon trip and come to ASU. I always feel nervous when a kid leaves town without committing.

I'm always surprised when anyone picks a school in a position like Oregon is now. But they have so much PT to offer a kid right now often that's what a kid is really looking for. Brown would start right away and so many of these kids think they're one and done, that PT is the ticket.

If I were advising him i'd tell him to steer clear of Oregon that situation could get ugly. There was a lot of dirt on Ernie Kent(remember the whole affair story from a few years ago) and when the NCAA gets involved and people start talking there tends to be a period where everyone is ratting out everyone, it can get ugly. Look at what happened at UTEP when Floyd booted that one guard off the team, he went to the press and spilled some dirt on the program and Floyd right away.

I would think ASU has a pretty good shot at Brown.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Carson is very close with Brown and said he'd be shocked if Brown doesn't end up a Devil. He said Brown told him that his ASU visit was his best yet and he's not taking anymore visits. This could be a scary squad if Sendek can land a couple big men who aren't liabilities.

As Mao said, Hawkins won't see the court if Brown commits. We'll worry about that if/when this all becomes official.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Carson is very close with Brown and said he'd be shocked if Brown doesn't end up a Devil. He said Brown told him that his ASU visit was his best yet and he's not taking anymore visits. This could be a scary squad if Sendek can land a couple big men who aren't liabilities.

Source?

As Mao said, Hawkins won't see the court if Brown commits. We'll worry about that if/when this all becomes official.

I doubt that. Brown will start over Hawkins for sure, but Hawkins is the kind of dead eye shooter you don't just languish on the bench. He could always come in as a 6th man type for instant offense off the bench.

Hawkins doesn't have the hitch in his shot that other guys rated similarly to him that Sendek has brought in had, i.e. Polk or Walker. I think he'll end up sticking around ASU and having a nice career.

Plus who knows how long Brown stays, you'd think 2 years max like Harden, while Hawkins is more of a 4 year kinda guy, so by the time he's a JR/SR he could be an All Pac 10 guy, a la Ty Abbott.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Lost you there, Hawkins' jump shot starts at his hip. The guy's going to struggle shooting at the college level unless he changes his form. I said before that Hawkins will never start a game at ASU if Sendek is merely an above average recruiter from 2011 on and I still believe that. Assuming they get Brown I'll go one further and say he probably gets bounced a la Polk/Walker.

Have you seen him play Hoover?

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Lost you there, Hawkins' jump shot starts at his hip. The guy's going to struggle shooting at the college level unless he changes his form. I said before that Hawkins will never start a game at ASU if Sendek is merely an above average recruiter from 2011 on and I still believe that. Assuming they get Brown I'll go one further and say he probably gets bounced a la Polk/Walker.

Have you seen him play Hoover?

Yes I have seen him a play a few times in the playoffs. While his form may not be perfect it doesn't have a hitch like the other two guys (Walker, Polk). Its consistently the same, something thats a lot more important than where the shot starts from.

Like I said, I think career wise he could end up being very similar to Ty Abbott if he hangs around.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Source?

I doubt that. Brown will start over Hawkins for sure, but Hawkins is the kind of dead eye shooter you don't just languish on the bench. He could always come in as a 6th man type for instant offense off the bench.

Hawkins doesn't have the hitch in his shot that other guys rated similarly to him that Sendek has brought in had, i.e. Polk or Walker. I think he'll end up sticking around ASU and having a nice career.

Plus who knows how long Brown stays, you'd think 2 years max like Harden, while Hawkins is more of a 4 year kinda guy, so by the time he's a JR/SR he could be an All Pac 10 guy, a la Ty Abbott.

Jahii Carson. I can't post the interview here. Lets just say it seems like a done deal but I'll believe it when Brown makes a statement. However, there is no doubt that Carson is the main reason why Brown is giving us another shot and may ultimately commit to ASU.

Regarding Hawkins, we agree to disagree.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Jahii Carson. I can't post the interview here. Lets just say it seems like a done deal but I'll believe it when Brown makes a statement. However, there is no doubt that Carson is the main reason why Brown is giving us another shot and may ultimately commit to ASU.

Regarding Hawkins, we agree to disagree.

I can confirm this as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard