ASU Baseball 2023

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
20-9

Devils kind of played with their food in this one. Never in danger of losing but not really engaged in the game either.

One positive from the game: freshman Isaiah Jackson, CF all season long, has been benched on Sunday and today due to struggles at the plate. He came in as a pinch hitter tonight and stayed in the game for a struggling hitter and proceeded to hit a sharp single and a two run bomb. Here’s hoping this will get him on track. Jackson was the top rated high school player in the state and was drafted by the Astros in 18th round but chose not to sign and play for the Devils.

As previously mentioned, this weekend series is against Washington St. Good overall record at 17-9 but currently losing record in PAC play. Side note: last year the Cougars swept ASU for the first time in team history.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Normally I would not give an update on the first game of a series but tonight’s game was glorious. Trailing 5-3 in the bottom of the 9th, the Devils scored 3 runs to win it.

The game was wild with a transfer portal subplot playing a part, some questionable umpiring not in ASU’s favor and Willie sporting some serious emotion after the game.

It was great!

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry to see this. The team is off to such a great start this season and I was looking forward to Long being a big contributor down the stretch.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Disappointing news for sure. I suspect he will return next year to try and reset his draft status.

Some good news in that article is that it sounds like Nick McLain may be back soon. That could be huge since DH is a barren wasteland in the lineup. Adding back a productive McLain would really help.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU beats Washington State 6-2.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU started five freshman and remain atop PAC-12.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
23-9

Got the sweep today winning 4-1. This series has some emotion especially on the WSU side. It is always nice to sweep any team but especially sweet when you are playing against a fairly obnoxious team like the Cougars.

I agree with Karpman. There is something going on here…this season. I would highly recommend getting out there and watch this team. In the world of transfer portals things really seem to kind of be a year to year deal. I suspect this tan will lose a fair number of players to the pros especially pitchers

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
23-9

Got the sweep today winning 4-1. This series has some emotion especially on the WSU side. It is always nice to sweep any team but especially sweet when you are playing against a fairly obnoxious team like the Cougars.

I agree with Karpman. There is something going on here…this season. I would highly recommend getting out there and watch this team. In the world of transfer portals things really seem to kind of be a year to year deal. I suspect this tan will lose a fair number of players to the pros especially pitchers

Earlier in the season, it didn't look like the Sun Devils were going anywhere. It's nice to see them turn it around.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Earlier in the season, it didn't look like the Sun Devils were going anywhere. It's nice to see them turn it around.
When they lost 5 in a row early in the season, based on what I saw last year I really expected them to fold on the season. Clearly, they dig deep and made adjustments and have since gone 17-2 (I think) and they have looked really good overall.

There are still the concerns of too many walks issued but it feels like they are trending in the right direction on walks.

Another concern is the DH role. Currently it is a barren wasteland due to injury and ineffectiveness

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Next up a weekday game at GCU followed by a weekend series at Washington

ASU beat GCU a few weeks back when GCU was ranked and since that loss GCU has gone 4-7.

Washington is 6-6 in conference play, don’t know much about them.

Somehow USC is ranked even though they have a worse PAC record and a worse overall record than the unranked Devils. I suspect the Devils get ranked this week

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASU ranked in top 25 for the first time this season. Currently at #24. Somehow USC is ranked ahead of them with a slightly worse record.

Go Devils!

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team!

Trailing 9-2 heading into the top of the 8th, the Devils hang 9 on GCU and 2 more in the 9th and hang on to win 13-10. Great win!

ASU cannot get into the habit of spotting teams leads. Better teams and better pitching staffs won’t give up late leads

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU beats Washington 8-6 today on the road to even series.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isaiah Jackson is stealing home runs at a rate of about once a week.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Today’s game was cancelled.

The Devils didn’t look good on Friday and had a shaky game Saturday. They were missing their top player, Ryan Campos, who is Day to Day with an oblique. The lineup looked shaky without him in it. Hopefully he can return by the weekend.

Up next a Wednesday nighter down in Tucson followed by a weekend series against the Beavers. This is a diminished Oregon State team for their championship days but still formidable.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What the heck?
It happens. I didn’t see any of the game but I am guessing they went down there and we’re not ready. I’ll be concerned if it goes into the weekend series.

I am disappointed because it was UofA though. I wanted to beat them like they beat us

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quick update:

This this week’s AP top 25 poll, ASU climbed up to #19. In the same poll, this weekends opponent Oregon State comes in at #21. Huge series for the Devils. A sweep would possibly have them just outside of the top 10 potentially. Realistically, just get a series win and that salvage the week after last nights debacle

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
27-12

Really an odd week for the Devils. Get smoked by UofA in a midweek noncon game. Come home to face an ascending Oregon State team and promptly lose game 1 and didn’t really look all that good but the Devils fought hard and came up short.

The above videos of the walk-off grand slam, which was glorious, hide the warts of this team currently. The Devils made 5 errors in the game…Yes 5 errors. Three were made by their SS. They walked too many hitters. Somehow the Devils fought hard and were rewarded with a win.

Today, again, there were issues with too many walks. The Devils didn’t have a single clean inning seemingly all weekend long. There were always threats on the bases. This cannot continue.

It will be interesting to see what happens when they release the new Top 25. Taking 2 of 3 from OSU should reflect well but that game against UA was ghastly.

Up next, two midweek games against Cal St Fullerton who are 23-11 and always field a solid . After that, 3 games at Oregon who is 26-12 and in third place in the PAC.

Devils remain in first in the conference

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Devils move up two spots to #17 in AP top 25. Oregon St only fell one spot to #22 which I think tells you how voters looked at the weekend series.

Oregon is ranked #23.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson