ASU Baseball 2023

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU beats Cal State Fullerton 9-1. They play again today in Phoenix.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They lost the second game in 11 innings. They had some chances to put this away but couldn’t close it out.

At Oregon this weekend. Currently, the Devils are still in line to possibly host a regional. They cannot stumble now. Oregon is a ranked team. I am hoping for a series win. There is no reason to be looking past Oregon but Stanford looms huge next weekend.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
29-15

Well, the Oregon trip did not go well as the Devils lost the series. The avoided a damaging sweep but having to come from behind today to win.

I didn’t see any of the games but big scores spoke to some of the issues plaguing the pitchers much of the year. Devils gave up 33 runs across the three games. They have cut down on some of the walks but they go through steaks where they cannot seem to get a critical out.

The Devils don’t have any midweek games this week so they will be getting ready for a visit from top 10 Stanford. While there is a path to still hosting a regional, there is very little room for error from here on out.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Devils drop to #20 in this week’s AP top 25.

Stanford, who the Devils play next, is ranked #7. If they can win the series, ASU would jump pretty high but my expectations for the upcoming series is pretty low

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s here. Stanford three game series. This is a major measuring stick and I am hoping starting catcher Ryan Campos is back in the lineup after injury. His absence has been huge both offensively and defensively. If he remains out they may be lucky to win one of three.

They mustn’t get swept. A series win would be fantastic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
29-18

Devils got swept by the now #4 team in the country. Stanford is a good well rounded team with a crazy good closer. Silver lining is the Devils went toe to toe with Stanford until the 9th inning yesterday.

This sweep should put to bed any thought there was off ASU hosting a regional this year. 10 games remain and this is largely a time to position themselves for a regional invite.

Pitching pitching pitching remains an issue although the back half of the bullpen is quite good overall. Offense is fine although sometimes they cannot get the key hit in a big situation. Devils scored 21 runs across the three games so you would think/hope they could win one game but wasn’t meant to be.

Up next a three game set @ unranked but pesky USC. This is the time for the Devils to right the ship heading into the PAC and National tournaments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
29-21

USC sweeps the Devils and this team is reeling with 6 straight losses. Not long ago it was fait accompli they would make the tournament and there was even talk about the Devils hosting a regional. Well that is blown to hell and I wonder if the Devils could actually be on the bubble depending on how the season closing series against UCLA goes.

I didn’t see any of this weekend’s games but a look through box scores tells me the pitching held up for the most part but it was the hitting that faltered. Devils only scored two runs over the three games. USC’s pitching isn’t THAT good.

Devils finish season at home vs a struggling UCLA team. The Bruins were a preseason top 25 team and they are sitting at 26-21-1 having lost their last two games.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU beats the Bruins 2-1 to finish the season. They win two out of three games.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah that was a big win today when they generated almost no offense above the 2 HRs. Curtis looked exhausted during first inning warmups. Gutsy effort.

I think the devils are in the tournament but heard some folks with concerns. Even a slight PAC tournament run should seal them into a regional.

Pitching was great all weekend overall. Couple minor hiccups. The lack of offense not just this weekend but for the last few weeks it’sa huge concern…and a concern I would have never anticipated.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that was a big win today when they generated almost no offense above the 2 HRs. Curtis looked exhausted during first inning warmups. Gutsy effort.

I think the devils are in the tournament but heard some folks with concerns. Even a slight PAC tournament run should seal them into a regional.

Pitching was great all weekend overall. Couple minor hiccups. The lack of offense not just this weekend but for the last few weeks it’sa huge concern…and a concern I would have never anticipated.

I'm starting to lose patience with ASU baseball head coach Willie Bloomquist.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm starting to lose patience with ASU baseball head coach Willie Bloomquist.
Why? He is handcuffed with his roster a bit due to injuries and his pitching coach has actually been pretty dang good this year even though I have been railing on the pitching a bunch

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? He is handcuffed with his roster a bit due to injuries and his pitching coach has actually been pretty dang good this year even though I have been railing on the pitching a bunch

I've watched some really good ASU baseball teams that have won national championships. It's hard to settle for less year after year.

ASU doesn't even have their own baseball stadium anymore. I thought it was a huge mistake giving up Packard Stadium.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've watched some really good ASU baseball teams that have won national championships. It's hard to settle for less year after year.

ASU doesn't even have their own baseball stadium anymore. I thought it was a huge mistake giving up Packard Stadium.
ASU hasn’t won a National championship since 1981. They’ve played for a couple since then but haven’t won any. Heck, they haven’t even gotten to Omaha since 2010.

Tracy smith left this roster in shambles two years ago and Willie is paying the price for that. I think Willie has flaws as a manager but he also hasn’t managed a team prior to this so there will be some growing pains.

As for Packard, I never understood why they left Packard but that wasn’t anything Willie had any control over. They were gone well before he was hired.

I’ve only been a fan since the early 90s and have been witness to some really good teams but none won it all. I’m still unclear why you don’t have faith in Willie…unless it is just the fact he isn’t Winkles or Brock or Murphy which he shouldn’t be held to account for that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU hasn’t won a National championship since 1981. They’ve played for a couple since then but haven’t won any. Heck, they haven’t even gotten to Omaha since 2010.

Tracy smith left this roster in shambles two years ago and Willie is paying the price for that. I think Willie has flaws as a manager but he also hasn’t managed a team prior to this so there will be some growing pains.

As for Packard, I never understood why they left Packard but that wasn’t anything Willie had any control over. They were gone well before he was hired.

I’ve only been a fan since the early 90s and have been witness to some really good teams but none won it all. I’m still unclear why you don’t have faith in Willie…unless it is just the fact he isn’t Winkles or Brock or Murphy which he shouldn’t be held to account for that.

I will have faith in Willie Bloomquist as the ASU baseball coach when he gives me reason.

IMO, the athletic department hasn't helped the situation one bit by removing their stadium on campus.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will have faith in Willie Bloomquist as the ASU baseball coach when he gives me reason.

IMO, the athletic department hasn't helped the situation one bit by removing their stadium on campus.
I don’t think staying in Packard would have changed history. I’m not defending the move but I don’t think it matters to the results.

What baffles me is they made the move nearly a decade ago and yet Packard still sits there.

I’m not trying to tell you how to feel but one thing I can say is the improvement from last year to this year was fairly seismic and of what I understand to be happening and what I expect to happen, next year will be even better than this year. Of course you gotta play the games

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think staying in Packard would have changed history. I’m not defending the move but I don’t think it matters to the results.

What baffles me is they made the move nearly a decade ago and yet Packard still sits there.

I’m not trying to tell you how to feel but one thing I can say is the improvement from last year to this year was fairly seismic and of what I understand to be happening and what I expect to happen, next year will be even better than this year. Of course you gotta play the games

I hope to see the ASU baseball program rise from the ashes but, IMO, it should never have happened if they received more love from the athletic department.

Some of my best memories are from watching ASU baseball.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASU opens PAC12 tournament play on Tuesday, 10a vs Arizona.

Scottsdale stadium

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s bad ASU pitching today. I think we are up to 9 walks through 3 innings. Total shitshow

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU plays Oregon State on Thursday.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are now firmly on the bubble to get into tournament. amazing, although not in a good way, turn of events in the last month

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
UofA wins the pool by beating Oregon State today. That is a massive problem for the Devils getting into the tournament. Cats advance to semi finals.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is how Chris Karpman explains it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members