Arizona Cardinals offseason thread 2022

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is generally fair, if not imbalanced and a bit myopic. I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic about this year. But I try to see both sides. For instance you list the upsides but completely ignore the downsides.

I think the entire nfl would rate move from Edmonds to Williams/Benjamin/ward as a big downgrade.

You list an additional year of experience for the young guys as pluses but ignore the plethora of old guys being a year older (watt, green, Hudson, pugh, beachum, ertz) which may not have as big a leap back as the young guys have a leap forward, but Father Time always wins and each year has an impact.

Other than watt our young slime really is unimpressive with a couple years under their belts now.

And we don’t have a cb with experience like we did with Alford, who despite getting hurt again, provided really strong, surprising, play all season.

And a little thing called hop missing 35% of the season.
The D-Slime… I feel like this is now going to be the phrase that describes this line if they end up sucking.

Or at least it will be for me. It’s just too funny not too. Hopefully I don’t have to use it!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ll chime in.
No Hopkins for 6 games.
TE better? A rookie over Williams who might not be back this year.
The OL is no better until proven otherwise.
We are automatically going to say Eno is going to replace Edmonds?
Defense.
Where is the pass rush coming from? With no pass rush our corners are going to be exposed.
Are we to assume we will suddenly be able to stop the run?
Schedule.
7 wins max… maybe.

Williams will be back. They didn't sign him to a 1 year deal because his knee is bad. But we went into last year with Williams and Daniels so Ertz + rookie is better.

OL is no worse.

We signed Darrel Williams too.

Defense has questions for sure.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's not that crazy. It's hoping that players meet the potential that got them drafted high.

This isn't 2002 Cardinals fans hoping Bryan Gilmore becomes a good starting WR. Collins and Simmons were both high picks. The Cardinals have a ton of options at EDGE...including three players who have put up sack numbers before (Golden, Kennard, and Gardeck) and young guys with potential. The cupboard isn't completely bare.
Eh this is misleading. Kennard has had 7 sacks . . . twice. He has 26.5 over 8 seasons (that’s 3.3/season for those playing at home). Gardeck has a single season with 7 sacks in very limited snaps, was injured, and nary a sack in any other season. And golden is semi-legit as boom or bust. He has three seasons with 10, 11, and 12.5 sacks, but his other five seasons he averaged 3.1 sacks per year.

And yeah with draft picks they aren’t gilmores, but we are hoping the talent that got them drafted 66th and 114th. Not exactly world beater expectations.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Anyone want to compare position groups vs. last year D?

OLB
ILB
D-line
CB
safety

I see one group that stayed the same, and a lot of groups that look worse than before.

I cannot for the life of me understand how we haven't brought at least a couple veterans in. Even a guy like Alford would be an upgrade.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to compare position groups vs. last year D?

OLB
ILB
D-line
CB
safety

I see one group that stayed the same, and a lot of groups that look worse than before.

I cannot for the life of me understand how we haven't brought at least a couple veterans in. Even a guy like Alford would be an upgrade.
Yeah… I think the offense can make strides this year, especially when we get Hop back, but my fear is this D is really awful. Only way that doesn’t happen is if both lights not only go on but shine super bright for Simmons and… jeez… I don’t even remember the name of our other ILB who was a first round pick last year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah… I think the offense can make strides this year, especially when we get Hop back, but my fear is this D is really awful. Only way that doesn’t happen is if both lights not only go on but shine super bright for Simmons and… jeez… I don’t even remember the name of our other ILB who was a first round pick last year.
Yep, Simmons/Collins have to pay at a near pro-bowl level and Watt has to not get hurt for this to not to be a bottom 10 defense IMO.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally agree with your post, but have a couple quibbles:
I think the entire nfl would rate move from Edmonds to Williams/Benjamin/ward as a big downgrade.
Arguably a downgrade, but I'm not sure "the entire NFL" would call it's "big" downgrade. It's not high on my list of concerns.
And a little thing called hop missing 35% of the season.
He missed more than that last season, so in the context of comparing this year's team to last year's, it's a wash.

...dave

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally agree with your post, but have a couple quibbles:

Arguably a downgrade, but I'm not sure "the entire NFL" would call it's "big" downgrade. It's not high on my list of concerns.

He missed more than that last season, so in the context of comparing this year's team to last year's, it's a wash.

...dave
Except that when he was out, our offense really struggled. Hopefully we do not have the same thing happen this year.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Legitimately the NFC is bad and should give people a little hope. Not much margin for error but we play two games vs Drew Lock and Jimmy G/Trey Lance. Mayfield, Mariota, Hurts, Cousins, and Winston. So 9 games with a clear QB advantage. I would include the Pats but Belichick has been able to frustrate Kyler. Shanahan is the will card above as he gets the most out of his team but I tend to not count on Jimmy G to stay healthy.

Thin path but still one.
Both Hurts & Winston are on teams that have major roster advantages. Those games just scream “defense lets offense down in monster shootout”.

I don’t expect this type of take from you. If this were the case, guys like Brees & Rodgers would have never had losing seasons under their names.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That's not even really true at all.
"There is a universe where this is a young, quick versatile defense. Collins and Simmons are both freaks who can do everything. Budda and Thompson can move around. Watt can play inside and out. Cam Thomas can likely to the same. Sanders has speed off the edge. There's a world where this is a varied, confusing defense for teams to handle."

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This.

I'm looking at the teams we are likely competing with for playoff spots.

Cowboys, Eagles
Packers/Vikings
Bucs
Cards/Rams/49ers

Those are the 8 it seems will be vying for 7 spots. I feel like we are better than the Niners and Vikings for sure. Green Bay took a step back and we should have beat them last year. We beat the Cowboys last year. Eagles for all they added still have Hurts at QB and an inexperienced HC.

Even right now we might be anywhere between 3-5 in the NFC if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot. It's not like all these other fan bases aren't looking at their rosters and worrying about similar holes in their roster.
You’re going to try & convince yourself this team has #1 seed potential in about 3 weeks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They’re everybody’s favorite underdog team. Sort of like how Carolina before 2021. I think the honeymoon phase will end quick.
Oof — of the Browns in 2020? I haven’t been following the discourse very closely:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you mean two-time Pro Bowler and Super Bowl starting quarterback Jared Goff? Goff who's passed for over 4500 yards twice?

Yeah. Him. The one who consistently ranks in in the bottom 3rd of NFL quarterbacks.

I agree they may well be better than people think but Goff is still a handcuff.

A Jimmy G style QB. Good in a system. Limited ability.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i feel like there is a Jared Goff vs the Cardinals and then the version that shows up for everyone else

kinda like the version of the Carolina Panthers that plays the Cardinals, and the one that shows up vs everyone else

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
"There is a universe where this is a young, quick versatile defense. Collins and Simmons are both freaks who can do everything. Budda and Thompson can move around. Watt can play inside and out. Cam Thomas can likely to the same. Sanders has speed off the edge. There's a world where this is a varied, confusing defense for teams to handle."

Yeah they're heavily relying on alot of young guys to step up and do what they were drafted to do.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson