Arizona Cardinals off season news Jan 25-Feb 25, 2021

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Those two are the favorites and Harris is currently higher in the org so my guess is it would be him.

To me, either one is a really scary proposition.

My basic argument is that since both have essentially been brought up under Keim, that both are unlikely to be much of a change. It's possible but not probable.

If you go back to the beginning of the long tenure of Rod Graves, this team has essentially had the same roots the entire time. Bidwill needs to purge most of the scouts and start over.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me, either one is a really scary proposition.

My basic argument is that since both have essentially been brought up under Keim, that both are unlikely to be much of a change. It's possible but not probable.

If you go back to the beginning of the long tenure of Rod Graves, this team has essentially had the same roots the entire time. Bidwill needs to purge most of the scouts and start over.

When you're part of the failure for so long it's highly unlikely that you can recognise why it happened.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's possible.

Keim came out fairly strong his first few years and he worked under Graves for years.

Was it Keim or was it Licht who came back from the Pats? Or was it BA. Its hard to know.

You can see some of the moves in Tampa look very similar to those early Cardinals years.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are the two the Cardinals specifically mention in any article that has been written where "future GMs" are mentioned.
Serious question:can you provide an example? I don't ever remember seeing them mentioned as potential near-term GM candidates except perhaps here & on Mitch's website.

...dave

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Serious question:can you provide an example? I don't ever remember seeing them mentioned as potential near-term GM candidates except perhaps here & on Mitch's website.

...dave
Sure. There is this thing called "google". Search "NFL GM Candidates" and it will bring up some links. If you look through them, you will see Quentin Harris's name.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure. There is this thing called "google". Search "NFL GM Candidates" and it will bring up some links. If you look through them, you will see Quentin Harris's name.
Gee, thanks!

According to @Krangthebrain , Quentin Harris and Adrian Wilson are "the two the Cardinals specifically mention in any article that has been written where "future GMs" are mentioned."

So i Googled "Arizona Cardinals future GM candidates" to get results that specifically list members of the Cardinals FO.

The first result, from SI, sure enough, Quentin Harris was mentioned... as the 38th name on their list, after Terry McDonough (31st) and Dru Grigson (37th). No mention of Adrian Wilson. Not exactly

The second result is from 2019 on Revenge of the Birds - Mitch's site, which i mentioned and in which i put zero credibility.

The third result doesn't mention either Quentin Harris or Adrian Wilson.

The fourth result doesn't mention either guy either - no wait, if you click through to the 2nd page, it has Harris listed 14th. No mention of Wilson.

The fifth result, from The Draft Network has Harris a the last name on their list, "a couple years away" but "Thought to be Steve Keim’s eventual successor in Arizona." Not sure who these guys are, but there's one source i hadn't seen before. No mention of Wilson.

The sixth result is from Bleacher Report and dated 2012, listing Keim as one of the candidates to replace Graves.

The seventh and eighth results are from CBS Sports, and list "NFL insider notes: A complete breakdown of the top 30 general manager candidates for 2021" and "the general manager candidates drawing the most buzz, broken down into tiers". There's no mention of Harris or Wilson on either long list.

The ninth result, from the end of 2019, lists 40 GM candidates, with Terry McDonough 34th on the list and no mention of Harris or Wilson.

The tenth result is a miss by Google - has nothing to do with GM candidates.

I'm not going to click through the next page of 10 links, but skimming the results, i don't expect Harris' or Wilson's names to appear on ANY of them.

Literally the only result there that mentions Adrian Wilson is Revenge of the Birds, just as i suggested, "Mitch's site" with zero credibility or access to the team. Quentin Harris' name does come up, but not often, and even then it's sometimes behind one or TWO other Cardinals FO employees.

My point in asking was to determine whether Adrian Wilson or Quentin Harris are really taken seriously as GM candidates or considered "likely" successors to Keim as conventional wisdom throughout the NFL community... or whether that's just a "considered true" on this site and Revenge of the Birds without much supporting evidence. After that Google search, i'm leaning even more toward the latter.

...dbs

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gee, thanks!

According to @Krangthebrain , Quentin Harris and Adrian Wilson are "the two the Cardinals specifically mention in any article that has been written where "future GMs" are mentioned."

So i Googled "Arizona Cardinals future GM candidates" to get results that specifically list members of the Cardinals FO.

The first result, from SI, sure enough, Quentin Harris was mentioned... as the 38th name on their list, after Terry McDonough (31st) and Dru Grigson (37th). No mention of Adrian Wilson. Not exactly

The second result is from 2019 on Revenge of the Birds - Mitch's site, which i mentioned and in which i put zero credibility.

The fourth result doesn't mention either guy either - no wait, if you click through to the 2nd page, it has Harris listed 14th. No mention of Wilson.

The fifth result, from The Draft Network has Harris a the last name on their list, "a couple years away" but "Thought to be Steve Keim’s eventual successor in Arizona." Not sure who these guys are, but there's one source i hadn't seen before. No mention of Wilson.

The sixth result is from Bleacher Report and dated 2012, listing Keim as one of the candidates to replace Graves.

The seventh and eighth results are from CBS Sports, and list "NFL insider notes: A complete breakdown of the top 30 general manager candidates for 2021" and "the general manager candidates drawing the most buzz, broken down into tiers". There's no mention of Harris or Wilson on either long list.

The ninth result, from the end of 2019, lists 40 GM candidates, with Terry McDonough 34th on the list and no mention of Harris or Wilson.

I'm not going to click through the next page of 10 links, but skimming the results, i don't expect Harris' or Wilson's names to appear on ANY of them.

Literally the only result there that mentions Adrian Wilson is Revenge of the Birds, just as i suggested, "Mitch's site" with zero credibility or access to the team. Quentin Harris' name does come up, but not often, and even then it's sometimes behind one or TWO other Cardinals FO employees.

My point in asking was to determine whether Adrian Wilson or Quentin Harris are really taken seriously as GM candidates or considered "likely" successors to Keim as conventional wisdom throughout the NFL community... or whether that's just a "considered true" on this site and Revenge of the Birds without much supporting evidence. After that Google search, i'm leaning even more toward the latter.

...dbs

The fact that neither of them are getting buzz as GM candidates elsewhere is exactly why you can be sure one of them will be our next GM!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Gee, thanks!

...dbs

Ok. So the fact that Harris has gone from scout to director of player personnel, which means he is in charge of both PRO SCOUTING and COLLEGE SCOUTING must be meaningless than.

Or all the interviews he has done on azcardinals.com and azsports.com must be meaningless as well.

The team is clearly confident in Harris and Wilson, who's rise has been even faster than Harris.

You don't have to be able to read the chicken bones to see that the team clearly loves these two based on their promotion record. This is a team that has taken two former players and promoted them to nearly the top of the scouting structure fairly quickly.

And if you made Harris the #1 guy in charge of scouting, then his next step is....GM.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Ok. So the fact that Harris has gone from scout to director of player personnel, which means he is in charge of both PRO SCOUTING and COLLEGE SCOUTING must be meaningless than.

Or all the interviews he has done on azcardinals.com and azsports.com must be meaningless as well.

The team is clearly confident in Harris and Wilson, who's rise has been even faster than Harris.

You don't have to be able to read the chicken bones to see that the team clearly loves these two based on their promotion record. This is a team that has taken two former players and promoted them to nearly the top of the scouting structure fairly quickly.

And if you made Harris the #1 guy in charge of scouting, then his next step is....GM.

dude....he mic dropped you. let it go, you lost. Move on.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The fact that neither of them are getting buzz as GM candidates elsewhere is exactly why you can be sure one of them will be our next GM!

Right...which is the worry. The Cardinals think enough of Harris to promote him to top scout in the organization, and for him to appear on some of the lists, which means the team DOES talk him up....and he also appears on Cardinals or Cardinal intermediary produced videos and interviews.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right...which is the worry. The Cardinals think enough of Harris to promote him to top scout in the organization, and for him to appear on some of the lists, which means the team DOES talk him up....and he also appears on Cardinals or Cardinal intermediary produced videos and interviews.

I don't know why. It's not like our scouting has been remotely good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gee, thanks!

...dbs

uh... I googled “Quentin Harris possible as Cardinals GM” and immediately came up on this article from The Athletic with the title “Quentin Harris: Just One Step Away From GM.”

https://theathletic.com/1049125/201...quentin-harris-just-one-step-from-being-a-gm/

a couple articles further there’s another one where he’s mentioned early as a GM candidate from Dec 2020

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-gm-candidates-watch-2021/2/

Here’s another two articles later on the first page from SI in December about one up and comer from every staff where Harris is the guy
https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news...-front-office-executive-to-note-each-nfc-team

one more article later, Pantherswire from USA Today lists Harris as a possible Panthers GM replacement

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/panthers-general-manager-candidates-radar/

Thats four different articles on the first page search from SI, USA Today, The Athletic and Pro Football Network that all seem to point to Quentin Harris as a possible GM candidate around the league.

what am I missing here?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I wish I had the same amount of time as y'all to go after each other on a football forum. Whats it like to be so free???

doesn’t really take that long to type a couple words into google search when the info all comes up immediately on the first page.

that said, I’d love to have a lot less time on my hands these days!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson