Arians, Fitz and Palmer Return in 2018?

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The only reason I used Brady was the age comparison and that, like it or not, Carson isn't Brady. And I'm not necessarily worried about bonus money or the overall value of the contract, I'm just talking in a pure vacuum, looking at next year's cap hit. Carson was worth this money in 2015, no doubt. Now, he is not. Sure, there are some overpaid players, like Dalton, and Joe Flacco, but I can't imagine anyone on this board would really rather have Carson Palmer at 20 million next year over Carr/Stafford at that number. And Alex Smith surely isn't going to make that much money next year.

I don't want to pay any Quarterback $20 million dollars next year though, not when this team has so many pure roster spots to fill. If we're drafting in the top 10, take a QB and start him right away. If we're drafting outside of it, sign someone like AJ McCarron/Alex Smith, re-sign Gabbert, and draft a kid, and let them all fight it out.

OT: What if A Smith wins the Superbowl this year? Would the Chiefs DARE moving to the future? Is there any precedent for a team winning it all, and then jettisoning the high performing guy who got them there, because they have the future waiting in the wings? An interesting situation. Yes, the Chiefs are on a 2 game slide, but it aint Smiths fault. He'd playing lights out right now...

Reaction score
Smith is the only one with a pedigree and could offer some confidence in a transition. But, at best it's $5m saving in 2018.

If we draft our QBOF, why would you care which vet holds the reins next season?

As said: It's CP'S decision to return or not and I think Bidwill and Co. would be more than happy if he did and the present contract would be a non issue.

P.S - CP has been hit 66 times so far. It was down to 4 last game and we saw an efficient performance.

Wait a minute... Palmer has a $20.625M cap number in 2018, and cutting him would yield a $14M cap saving.

Alex Smith has a $16.9M cap number this year and is scheduled to be paid $17M in salary and new bonuses next year with KC... has a 120+ passer rating, 15 TDs and 0 INTs... and you think, if cut loose, he would sign for a $5M SAVING compared to Palmer, even after accounting for Palmer's $6.625M in dead money?!?

:shrug:

...dave

If Smith signs with another team next year it will be for a very large contract. But I think they could structure it so the first year isn't such a huge cap hit. I for one would love to have Smith if CP retires.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I care because the rest of the roster is extraordinarily depleted, as mentioned in one of my previous posts. Plus "a rookie QB" does not automatically mean we have our quarterback of the future. But to ensure his success, I'd prefer we use cap space to build a young core around the rookie or cheaper QB than continue to try to squeeze the very last drops out of the oldest team in the league, and the third oldest QB in the league.

This team is barely 3-3 right now. I legitimately can't understand why one win against a struggling Buccaneers team makes you think the trick to winning a Super Bowl in the 2018 season is bringing back a QB who is finishing outside of the top 15 in all key statistics besides attempts, yardage, and interceptions.

Hyperbole... and the team has the CAP in hand in 2018 to add pieces and we'll see how the last few drafts settle in. And, I'll be more interested in CP's stats after 16 than 6. Ideally for 2018, I hope for CP, Gabbert and QBOF.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait a minute... Palmer has a $20.625M cap number in 2018, and cutting him would yield a $14M cap saving.

Alex Smith has a $16.9M cap number this year and is scheduled to be paid $17M in salary and new bonuses next year with KC... has a 120+ passer rating, 15 TDs and 0 INTs... and you think, if cut loose, he would sign for a $5M SAVING compared to Palmer, even after accounting for Palmer's $6.625M in dead money?!?

...dave

No I don't... Solar 7 does!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

...dave

Like Guernsey said... I do. He's going to be 34, but wherever he signs, it won't simply be a one year deal. Because the bonus money will be spread out, it wouldn't hit us entirely for $20M next year. Alex Smith was just an option, anyways. If he wants to be paid like Palmer, move on.

I think all of this makes more sense when you consider that I don't think this team is a contender next year, and that we're going to go through a 1-2 year "reload" akin to what we did when Arians and Keim first came on board. My ideal scenario is that Palmer retires, we draft a rookie in the top ten, and we re-sign Gabbert and maybe Stanton or another another vet, and let them all battle it out. (Well, ideally we'd get Cousins for less than the highest paid QB in the league and just call it a day.)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Hyperbole... and the team has the CAP in hand in 2018 to add pieces and we'll see how the last few drafts settle in. And, I'll be more interested in CP's stats after 16 than 6. Ideally for 2018, I hope for CP, Gabbert and QBOF.

It's not hyperbole, it's literally looking at who we do and don't have under contract. You have to be able to field a team. We have 29 signed players for next season. We need to sign 23 bodies just to make it, and that's 24 if Carson retires. At least 9 of our current starters will need to be replaced or re-signed. That $35M is gonna dry up real fast.