Arians, Fitz and Palmer Return in 2018?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The addition if RB Adrian Peterson not only was a game-changer for the Cardinals in their 38-33 win over the Bucs, it could signal the return of Bruce Arians, Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald in 2018.

GM Steve Keim and Arians are signed through the 2018 season. Both have a team option to return in 2019. Keim appears to be on track for a contract extension, as he has garnered the trust of Michael Bidwill and the front office. Arians appears to be a good health this season and with a renewed excitement in the team's prospects for the rest of 2017 and 2018, he could have the incentive to return for the final year of his contract.

Carson Palmer is signed through 2018. His cap number next year is $20.6M. Despite the excessive hits he has taken through 6 games, Palmer appears to be rejuvenated.

Larry Fitzgerald is not signed yet for 2018. There has been speculation the he will retire at the end of this season, but with his good friends Carson Palmer and Adrian Peterson already inked to contracts for next year, and with how productive Fitz has remained this year, chances might be pretty good at this point that he will re-up for another year.

Let's take a look at each position and what UFAs there are and what players are returning:

QB:

* Palmer
* Stanton---UFA
* Gabbert---UFA

Keim and Arians appear to like Blaine Gabbert as a possible starter down the road. It would make sense to sign him to an incentive laden deal to be the #2 behind Palmer for one more year while being prepped to be in the mix to start in 2019.

This is the year that the Cardinals draft a QB to groom and compete for the starting job in 2019.

RB:

* Johnson
* Peterson
* Logan
* Penny
* Williams---UFA
* Ellington---UFA

There are plenty of ways to keep both David Johnson and Adrian Peterson productive within the offense, particularly because Johnson is so good at WR. Thus, Johnson can still be on the field when Peterson is the bell cow at RB. There are times when BA can employ a 2 RB backfield.

It is very likely that Keim will use one of his draft picks on a RB, who can play STs and learn behind Johnson and Peterson. Not sure what K. Williams and A. Ellington will command in the FA market, but if the price is right one of them might want to return.

WR:

* Nelson
* C. Williams
* Foster

* Agudosi
* Fitzgerald---UFA
* Jaron Brown---UFA
* John Brown---UFA
* Golden---UFA

It is very possible that the Cardinals will re-sign Fitz and both Jaron and John Brown. John Brown might receive a lucrative offer elsewhere that Keim may not be willing to match. But, if John Brown is willing to sign a deal rich in incentives, he stays.

Another WR should be added in the draft.

TE:

* Gresham
* Seals-Jones
* Niklas---UFA
* Momah---UFA

If Niklas can stay healthy and produce like he did versus the Bucs, Keim may make a push to re-sign him. Chances are good that the Cardinals will draft a TE in 2018.

OL:

* Humphries
* Iupati
* Shipley
* Veldheer
* Wetzel
* Boehm
* Munyer
* Holden
* Painter
* Price
* Boone---UFA
* Watford---UFA

Big decisions will have to be made regarding G Iupati, C Shipley and T Veldheer. It looks like Alex Boone is a good fit, if he can stay healthy. He could remain the starter at LG if he signs and if the team moves on from Iupati. Bohemia and Munyer would appear to be logical replacements for Shipley, but the coaches and Palmer like Shipley and he is signed through 2018. It might be too soon for Will Holden to take over at RT for Veldheer, but the Cardinals could turn to John Wetzel or a FA at RT, if they decide that $10M is too much to spend on keeping Veldheer.

DL:

* Mauro
* Gunter
* Nkemdiche
* Pierre
* X. Williams
* Tasini
* Rucker---UFA
* Peters---UFA

Rucker's leadership is valued and he has shown he will play for a little over the veteran minimum. Peters has been the rock in the middle and could be re-sign at a fair market value.

The Cardinals need to add an interior pass rusher. Will likely do so through FA or with one of its top 3 picks in the 2018 draft.

LB:

* Jones
* Golden
* Reddick
* Bucannon

* Wright
* Albright
* Dora
* Okine
* Dansby---UFA
* Martin---UFA
* Bynes---UFA

The Cardinals have already picked up Deone Bucannon's 5th year option and will likely try to sign him to a multi-year extension. They might choose to stick with Haason Reddick inside or to keep Reddick on the edge and sign a UFA ILB to pair with Deone Bucannon.

On the outside, one of the PS edge players might emerge as next year's #4 OLB. Kareem Martin is sold versus the run, but has yet to be a consistent factor as a pass rusher. It's possible the Cardinals could try to use one of their first 4 draft picks on an edge rusher, particularly with Markus Golden entering his final year of his rookie contract.

CB:

* Peterson
* B. Williams
* Zamort
* Bethel---UFA
* T. Williams---UFA

The #2 CB position needs to be addressed once and for all in 2018. Chances are that Justin Bethel will sign elsewhere. It could be a boon if Tramon Williams builds on his good performance versus the Bucs and could earn a contract for next year, but at his age he is hardly a long-term solution. Brandon Williams and Ronald Zamort could emerge in their third year. But, look for a UFA CB or high draft pick to be added.

S:

* Mathieu
* Bethea
* Baker
* Ford
* Miller
* Branch---UFA

Tyvon Branch is having the best year of any of the safeties, although Antoine Bethea is coming on strong. Branch is earning a good contract in 2018, but at his age and with youngsters Baker and Ford in the mix, chances are he signs elsewhere if he gets a good offer. The biggest decision of all is whether to give Tyrann Mathieu his roster bonus which would put him at 2018 cap figure of $14M. Steve Keim will likely try to negotiate a new deal with the Honey Badger, but may be forced to let him go if Mathieu and his agent aren't willing to redo his contract. Tough to say, but the Honey Badger is struggling again this year.

ST:

* Dawson
* Lee
* Brewer---UFA
* Drescher---UFA

Both Dawson and Lee are signed through 2018. Chances are that Brewer or Drescher will re-sign in 2018. Brewer has been a good fit.

Possible FA Priorities:

WR
G
T
TE
DT
ILB
CB
S
LS

Likely Draft Priorities:

QB
RB
WR
TE
DT
ILB
OLB

What do you think? Will 2018 be a rebuild or one more run for the roses from the veterans?

Like Emerson, Lake and Palmer...perhaps Arians, Fitz and Palmer were "meant to be here, from the beginning."

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Let's see 2017 play out first before we get ahead of ourselves, but I could see it happening.

Fitz & Palmer do look like age is only a number at this point though :clapping:

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's my fear about this get us close again run with AP if it happens. I still see an aging Palmer going down hill and a lot of holes on the O line, D line, and WR's. I love the fact we should now have a season worth watching but it's still a team that could be 5 and 11 next year with the same players. IMO even if we win it all start the rebuild before we have to rebuild the whole team instead of fixing some holes. If we can keep them and rebuild even better. But start the youth rebuild ASAP IMO.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it all depends on how the season ends. We need to make the playoffs or be razor close and look good at the end. If we make the playoffs....and we get healthy. We can make a run. May not need them to come back if we win a super bowl.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would like to see Fitz back but not Palmer. But would Fitz come back if Palmer retires or is let go? He might if AD is still here and we have a veteran qb starting while we draft and develop a young qb. Lots of key decisions in this offseason.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I would keep Reddick on the edge until Golden is completely healthy at least

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it all depends on how the season ends. We need to make the playoffs or be razor close and look good at the end. If we make the playoffs....and we get healthy. We can make a run. May not need them to come back if we win a super bowl.
This is exactly what's going to happen. They're going to be just good enough to tease us and then give it "one last shot" in 2018. Which I'm ok with if they go all in and draft a QB - trade up or do whatever it takes.

Let next year ride on Palmer knowing that there's a year to develop the QB. I've never been a fan of this mentality of tossing the a rookie QB out there like this trend has been for so long. It's blind luck if there's success rather than actual development. If a game goes south put the QB in with no pressure. If this scenario happens, we as fans, have to understand 2018 would be a down year.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is exactly what's going to happen. They're going to be just good enough to tease us and then give it "one last shot" in 2018. Which I'm ok with if they go all in and draft a QB - trade up or do whatever it takes.

Let next year ride on Palmer knowing that there's a year to develop the QB. I've never been a fan of this mentality of tossing the a rookie QB out there like this trend has been for so long. It's blind luck if there's success rather than actual development. If a game goes south put the QB in with no pressure. If this scenario happens, we as fans, have to understand 2018 would be a down year.
It’s been going well for Watson, Wentz, Dak, Mariota, Carr, & Jameis(to an extent).

When’s the last time a QB sat their whole rookie year that actually amounted to being great? Rodgers is the only one I can think of & he sat for 3 years.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Need to move on from Palmer. We still have many issues. Yesterday's win was nice but we aren't a top team all of the sudden.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This season is this season. Still a ton of ball to play IMO. I am not going to start worrying about next season until I see how this one plays out. For all we know this could be a different conversation in a few weeks about these "old guys". Let's see.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I think we should all temper our dreams of an unstoppable RB tandem with DJ and AP. I believe the past two seasons have shown AP doesn't play nice when he has to share the sandbox.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big Palmer guy but even I think this should be his last year. I think you can see that while he still has his fastball on the 20-30 yard throws, the deep throws are consistently falling short and you can see as the game goes on he loses some zip.

Great guy, he'll be a hell of a QB Coach and OC some day if he chooses to go into coaching, but the Cards need to move forward and get a QBOF.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I mentioned this on another thread, but if Peterson goes on to have a good year he will undoubtedly want to renegotiate. Fitz made $15+ this year. The numbers don’t work. Peterson’s scheduled to make $3.5 mil but he’ll likely be looking for double that number. He’s not the type of guy you want to force to play for less than he considers fair.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I mentioned this on another thread, but if Peterson goes on to have a good year he will undoubtedly want to renegotiate. Fitz made $15+ this year. The numbers don’t work. Peterson’s scheduled to make $3.5 mil but he’ll likely be looking for double that number. He’s not the type of guy you want to force to play for less than he considers fair.

I think there are incentives in AP's contract that can earn him another $2M. Just the same, I think he will want more, if he has a productive season this year. The question is whether Steve Keim will entertain the thought of paying him more or whether Keim will expect AP to honor his current 2 year deal, which Keim could say was part of the reason why they traded for him.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think so guys. If Fitz comes back and we offer 5 million ...I think he stays. We have him a shot. But it's not like another team will pay 8 million for a 33 year old RB. He will mesh well with us. I think he stays ...again if we are on the cusp of doing great things....

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Return probability:

Palmer - 50%
Arians - 50%
Fitz - 20%

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think there's a good chance Arians comes back. I think he loves coaching and still has the passion for it.

I don't want Palmer back. He's playing alright, but it's time to move on. There's a cliff coming sometime soon, and we're paying too much for what we're getting.

Fitz is a different story - I'd love to have him back and I think he has another year or two of productivity. But if I were him? I don't think I want to play another year with a rookie QB. Unless Keim and Arians came to him and said "we're going to throw everything we have at Garoppolo or Cousins," I'd imagine he's out. This team needs fresh blood and a true #1 in his prime.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Let's see 2017 play out first before we get ahead of ourselves, but I could see it happening.

Fitz & Palmer do look like age is only a number at this point though :clapping:

Didn't you notice the lame ducks Palmer threw up yesterday. One even went for a TD. He got away with murder yesterday, unlike many games where those passes are intercepted. His arm just isn't what it was a couple years ago. I don't think we can be more than a .500 team with him at QB. He is very lucky that he has the great weapons he has had here. It would be sad to see him QBing some of the other teams out there.

That said, I do love it when he is on and gets lucky at times. The rest of our team's offensive players make him look better than he is, imo.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is a zero percent chance of Fitz coming back if there is no palmer.
He would never come back to play with a rookie qb, no matter how highly regarded the rookie is.
So if you want Fitz back, it would have to be with palmer.

Personally I think this thread is funny at this point. There is 10 games left this season. Does anyone really think the offense is going to reproduce what it did yesterday repeatedly.
I'm sorry, they did not discover the fountain of youth, and the oline will not play that well every game. They couldn't even keep it going for a full 3 quarters yesterday, yes they looked really good for a short spurt in one game, but trying to determine next seasons personnel based on that is ridiculous. They first need to prove they can do it consistently, then these old guys have to stay healthy. Then AP would have to prove he can coexist with David Johnson, and they would have to have some success in the playoffs.

The odds of all that happening are slim to none, sure it is fun to dream, but lets be real here, this is still not that good of a team. The only reason to have hope this year, is there seems to be an overall lack of good teams, so who knows.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would like to see Fitz back but not Palmer. But would Fitz come back if Palmer retires or is let go? He might if AD is still here and we have a veteran qb starting while we draft and develop a young qb. Lots of key decisions in this offseason.

if the plan is to draft and develop a QBOF, we already have the vet QB (Palmer) and you're not going to a better one on the open market.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s been going well for Watson, Wentz, Dak, Mariota, Carr, & Jameis(to an extent).

When’s the last time a QB sat their whole rookie year that actually amounted to being great? Rodgers is the only one I can think of & he sat for 3 years.

If "great" in the bottom line then Rodgers is the answer. If very good is OK, then the answer is Carson Palmer.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think there's a good chance Arians comes back. I think he loves coaching and still has the passion for it.

I don't want Palmer back. He's playing alright, but it's time to move on. There's a cliff coming sometime soon, and we're paying too much for what we're getting.

Fitz is a different story - I'd love to have him back and I think he has another year or two of productivity. But if I were him? I don't think I want to play another year with a rookie QB. Unless Keim and Arians came to him and said "we're going to throw everything we have at Garoppolo or Cousins," I'd imagine he's out. This team needs fresh blood and a true #1 in his prime.

So the simple answer to paragraph three is bring CP, who is under contract, back.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
Please, no, no, and no. I love those guys as much as anyone and appreciate all they have done in their time here, but we've seen this movie before. We're already in year 2 of "let's give it another go"

It's (almost) time to step into 2018. Yes it may require taking a step back but it's time to part ways with the old man football we currently play and embrace the future.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The addition if RB Adrian Peterson not only was a game-changer for the Cardinals in their 38-33 win over the Bucs, it could signal the return of Bruce Arians, Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald in 2018.

GM Steve Keim and Arians are signed through the 2018 season. Both have a team option to return in 2019. Keim appears to be on track for a contract extension, as he has garnered the trust of Michael Bidwill and the front office. Arians appears to be a good health this season and with a renewed excitement in the team's prospects for the rest of 2017 and 2018, he could have the incentive to return for the final year of his contract.

Carson Palmer is signed through 2018. His cap number next year is $20.6M. Despite the excessive hits he has taken through 6 games, Palmer appears to be rejuvenated.

Larry Fitzgerald is not signed yet for 2018. There has been speculation the he will retire at the end of this season, but with his good friends Carson Palmer and Adrian Peterson already inked to contracts for next year, and with how productive Fitz has remained this year, chances might be pretty good at this point that he will re-up for another year.

Let's take a look at each position and what UFAs there are and what players are returning:

QB:

* Palmer
* Stanton---UFA
* Gabbert---UFA

Keim and Arians appear to like Blaine Gabbert as a possible starter down the road. It would make sense to sign him to an incentive laden deal to be the #2 behind Palmer for one more year while being prepped to be in the mix to start in 2019.

This is the year that the Cardinals draft a QB to groom and compete for the starting job in 2019.

RB:

* Johnson
* Peterson
* Logan
* Penny
* Williams---UFA
* Ellington---UFA

There are plenty of ways to keep both David Johnson and Adrian Peterson productive within the offense, particularly because Johnson is so good at WR. Thus, Johnson can still be on the field when Peterson is the bell cow at RB. There are times when BA can employ a 2 RB backfield.

It is very likely that Keim will use one of his draft picks on a RB, who can play STs and learn behind Johnson and Peterson. Not sure what K. Williams and A. Ellington will command in the FA market, but if the price is right one of them might want to return.

WR:

* Nelson
* C. Williams
* Foster

* Agudosi
* Fitzgerald---UFA
* Jaron Brown---UFA
* John Brown---UFA
* Golden---UFA

It is very possible that the Cardinals will re-sign Fitz and both Jaron and John Brown. John Brown might receive a lucrative offer elsewhere that Keim may not be willing to match. But, if John Brown is willing to sign a deal rich in incentives, he stays.

Another WR should be added in the draft.

TE:

* Gresham
* Seals-Jones
* Niklas---UFA
* Momah---UFA

If Niklas can stay healthy and produce like he did versus the Bucs, Keim may make a push to re-sign him. Chances are good that the Cardinals will draft a TE in 2018.

OL:

* Humphries
* Iupati
* Shipley
* Veldheer
* Wetzel
* Boehm
* Munyer
* Holden
* Painter
* Price
* Boone---UFA
* Watford---UFA

Big decisions will have to be made regarding G Iupati, C Shipley and T Veldheer. It looks like Alex Boone is a good fit, if he can stay healthy. He could remain the starter at LG if he signs and if the team moves on from Iupati. Bohemia and Munyer would appear to be logical replacements for Shipley, but the coaches and Palmer like Shipley and he is signed through 2018. It might be too soon for Will Holden to take over at RT for Veldheer, but the Cardinals could turn to John Wetzel or a FA at RT, if they decide that $10M is too much to spend on keeping Veldheer.

DL:

* Mauro
* Gunter
* Nkemdiche
* Pierre
* X. Williams
* Tasini
* Rucker---UFA
* Peters---UFA

Rucker's leadership is valued and he has shown he will play for a little over the veteran minimum. Peters has been the rock in the middle and could be re-sign at a fair market value.

The Cardinals need to add an interior pass rusher. Will likely do so through FA or with one of its top 3 picks in the 2018 draft.

LB:

* Jones
* Golden
* Reddick
* Bucannon

* Wright
* Albright
* Dora
* Okine
* Dansby---UFA
* Martin---UFA
* Bynes---UFA

The Cardinals have already picked up Deone Bucannon's 5th year option and will likely try to sign him to a multi-year extension. They might choose to stick with Haason Reddick inside or to keep Reddick on the edge and sign a UFA ILB to pair with Deone Bucannon.

On the outside, one of the PS edge players might emerge as next year's #4 OLB. Kareem Martin is sold versus the run, but has yet to be a consistent factor as a pass rusher. It's possible the Cardinals could try to use one of their first 4 draft picks on an edge rusher, particularly with Markus Golden entering his final year of his rookie contract.

CB:

* Peterson
* B. Williams
* Zamort
* Bethel---UFA
* T. Williams---UFA

The #2 CB position needs to be addressed once and for all in 2018. Chances are that Justin Bethel will sign elsewhere. It could be a boon if Tramon Williams builds on his good performance versus the Bucs and could earn a contract for next year, but at his age he is hardly a long-term solution. Brandon Williams and Ronald Zamort could emerge in their third year. But, look for a UFA CB or high draft pick to be added.

S:

* Mathieu
* Bethea
* Baker
* Ford
* Miller
* Branch---UFA

Tyvon Branch is having the best year of any of the safeties, although Antoine Bethea is coming on strong. Branch is earning a good contract in 2018, but at his age and with youngsters Baker and Ford in the mix, chances are he signs elsewhere if he gets a good offer. The biggest decision of all is whether to give Tyrann Mathieu his roster bonus which would put him at 2018 cap figure of $14M. Steve Keim will likely try to negotiate a new deal with the Honey Badger, but may be forced to let him go if Mathieu and his agent aren't willing to redo his contract. Tough to say, but the Honey Badger is struggling again this year.

ST:

* Dawson
* Lee
* Brewer---UFA
* Drescher---UFA

Both Dawson and Lee are signed through 2018. Chances are that Brewer or Drescher will re-sign in 2018. Brewer has been a good fit.

Possible FA Priorities:

WR
G
T
TE
DT
ILB
CB
S
LS

Likely Draft Priorities:

QB
RB
WR
TE
DT
ILB
OLB

What do you think? Will 2018 be a rebuild or one more run for the roses from the veterans?

Like Emerson, Lake and Palmer...perhaps Arians, Fitz and Palmer were "meant to be here, from the beginning."

The biggest point which trumps all that info for Fitz returning and Palmer, is their friendship as you stated, having Peterson returning and still being able to contribute to the running back position. I put nothing past AP now, and if he says he wants to play four more years, you better not take him lightly. He is tight with Fitz... I do not see Fitz retiring if AP decides to keep playing and is wearing Cardinal red

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please, no, no, and no. I love those guys as much as anyone and appreciate all they have done in their time here, but we've seen this movie before. We're already in year 2 of "let's give it another go"

It's (almost) time to step into 2018. Yes it may require taking a step back but it's time to part ways with the old man football we currently play and embrace the future.

???

There are two types of athletes... those who can and those who can't anymore.

Fitz and AP are Hall of Famers that are still playing at a very high level.

And the same can be said for a healthy CP.

D-O-B is irrelevant.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard