Arians, Fitz and Palmer Return in 2018?

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
???

There are two types of athletes... those who can and those who can't anymore.

Fitz and AP are Hall of Famers that are still playing at a very high level.

And the same can be said for a healthy CP.

D-O-B is irrelevant.

Fitz is playing at a high level.

I made no mention of Peterson in my post but since you brought him up-Peterson had a good game. That makes exactly one in the past two seasons.

Palmer is Palmer. He's not playing at a high level and hasn't since 2015.

What is the team's record 2016-2017? 10-11-1

At some point the team has to realize they are not going to win a SB with this group and move on. Let's do it sooner than later.

I'd much rather watch a young team struggle a little bit as part of the process of building towards something great that is actually sustainable for years to come than watch an old, mediocre team battle to stay mediocre and just outside the fringes of relevancy. That's where we are right now.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So the simple answer to paragraph three is bring CP, who is under contract, back.
Well, you can't force him back. Even if you could, his contract number for next year is painfully steep. And it's better to leave the table a little early than when it's too late. I just don't see a situation where Fitz and Palmer being back gives us a legitimate shot at a title. We need to add the guys who are going to inherit these spots to the roster instead of pushing it "one more year."

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would guess it's highly unlikely that the Cards could get Peterson to agree to stay next year with David johnson. It would be too expensive, and he's just not a guy who wants to share the playing time, that's not an insult it's a fact, he's a guy who wants the ball 22-25 times a game.

If the Cards really felt like Peterson had a few years left they could trade David Johnson to try and get multiple high picks, but trading one of the best players in the NFL on the hopes a 30+ RB is going to play several more years would be crazy.

He has a 2 year deal and is in year 1, the best case scenario is he has a strong year, DJ comes back healthy later in the year, and then we trade Peterson in the offseason.

CBS is reporting the Ravens were trying to get him too, and that it was believed there were several other teams considering trading for him. now that's because the cost to get him wasn't going to be high, but if he has a great year and the Cards can include him in a trade to move up and get QBOF by all means do it.

But I think it's folly to believe he and DJ are going to happily coexist in the same offense

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Peterson does well the remainder of this season, his trade value will go up. He may honor the second year of his contract if he’s the man somewhere else.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, you can't force him back. Even if you could, his contract number for next year is painfully steep. And it's better to leave the table a little early than when it's too late. I just don't see a situation where Fitz and Palmer being back gives us a legitimate shot at a title. We need to add the guys who are going to inherit these spots to the roster instead of pushing it "one more year."

Unless we're drafting at or near the top, we are spending $20m + on a QB who can get us to the playoffs. And the thought that we are somehow better without a guy who may lead the League in catches, again, and a QB who'll likely pass for 4000 yards is beyond my understanding.

Draft, build and remaining in the hunt are not mutually exclusive.

We are $35m in the black going into next offseason as it stands.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think this is crucial no matter how out of wack it may sound. First, it appears Peterson has more than a lot left in the tank, though no longer has the deep speed of years past. Meaning, to have both DJ and AP would almost be an unfair advantage. Look, the whole NFL is based to stop the pass and for the most part is pretty light weight in their various 3-4 and nickel coverages, meaning two bruising backs is a monkey wrench to a majority of the league. With this, we do not have to worry about drafting a number one WR as much as drafting another stud runningback. Why? Because if you base your whole offense on a formation which includes two stud backs, you better have another to step in if injury means one might miss some time. I want the Cardinals to see the possibilities and adapt. Two stud backs with power and a deep play action vertical game... the NFL right now is ripe to exploit with this offense

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Unless we're drafting at or near the top, we are spending $20m + on a QB who can get us to the playoffs. And the thought that we are somehow better without a guy who may lead the League in catches, again, and a QB who'll likely pass for 4000 yards is beyond my understanding.

Draft, build and remaining in the hunt are not mutually exclusive.

We are $35m in the black going into next offseason as it stands.

It doesn't matter if you throw for 4,000 yards if it came from gifting the opposing team turnovers or not being able to put the ball where it needs to be early in the game. Carson has looked amiss this year and just isn't passing the eye test consistently anymore. He's not done yet, but I sure as hell don't want to spend another year ignoring the QB position to rely on a guy that's 40 and has diminishing weapons.

I firmly do not believe we will spend 20+ million on a QB, especially because Garoppolo is going to require trade assets as well. Cousins will be the highest paid QB in the league. I bet this team ends up going with something like Brisset/Smith/insert vet here, Gabbert, and a rookie, that they let battle.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So if CP, Fitz and AP want to come back in '18, you'd say, 'no thanks '?

Also, yeah, with the exception of Fitz, probably. Peterson isn't going to be happy as a #2. Carson you can't rely on for another year unless he takes less money.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if you throw for 4,000 yards if it came from gifting the opposing team turnovers or not being able to put the ball where it needs to be early in the game. Carson has looked amiss this year and just isn't passing the eye test consistently anymore. He's not done yet, but I sure as hell don't want to spend another year ignoring the QB position to rely on a guy that's 40 and has diminishing weapons.

I firmly do not believe we will spend 20+ million on a QB, especially because Garoppolo is going to require trade assets as well. Cousins will be the highest paid QB in the league. I bet this team ends up going with something like Brisset/Smith/insert vet here, Gabbert, and a rookie, that they let battle.

This is totally out of whack concerning if Palmer can get the job done. How the hell could he have performed any better when not having a OL or running game or in the recent game when the coach wants to call a crack pot jump ball when he does have one. Yes, we need a QB of the future because Palmer is older and one day will retire but for me your accusations that Palmer is obviously amiss is funny

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We get our starting LT and 2nd string LG back and replace a weak link at RG and fans don't get that's a big reason the offense was great. Then add a HOF RB who obviously still has 85% or more of his skills and the run offense is a force. All those things allow Palmer to be the QB he can be and he has a fantastic game. Bucs had to put 8 men in the box and Fitz isn't double covered and he has a fantastic game.

Some fans can't get past the bad games where our Oline was decimated with injuries so they can't see what is and can be. Of course we have the rest of this season to see how things play out but it's not hard to see that if Palmer has time and a running game he is still an elite QB.

Good write up Mitch and like SK you are always keeping an eye on the future while grading the present.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
AP was disgruntled in NO because he wasn't getting enough carries, when DJ comes back he will get a lion's share of the carries. AP may not be willing to play second fiddle.

I doubt he will be second fiddle. I bet it will work out where he is RB1 and Johnson is RB2.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
from my perspective...

having Fitz... still maybe the best overall "hands" in the nfl,...and not one but TWO good backs...makes it a prime time to draft a top young QB and throw him in the mix...use extra draft capital and salary cap to shore up the line..

gives the young signal caller the absolute best situation to learn and be successful in.

Larry isnt doing anything unusual...when we need a catch he has always been the guy to throw to...and he can still be that safety net next season for a rookie QB....DJ is also a solid safety net for a young QB

get a run blocking oline and a TE who can stay healthy and a decent rookie QB could put up fantastic numbers and win lots of games.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
from my perspective...

having Fitz... still maybe the best overall "hands" in the nfl,...and not one but TWO good backs...makes it a prime time to draft a top young QB and throw him in the mix...use extra draft capital and salary cap to shore up the line..

gives the young signal caller the absolute best situation to learn and be successful in.

Larry isnt doing anything unusual...when we need a catch he has always been the guy to throw to...and he can still be that safety net next season for a rookie QB....DJ is also a solid safety net for a young QB

get a run blocking oline and a TE who can stay healthy and a decent rookie QB could put up fantastic numbers and win lots of games.

The above is possible but will Fitz see your vision and come back for a rookie QB? I'm not so sure because I doubt any of the youngins who are doing well this year or recent past are going to win the SB and that's the only reason Larry returns.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
A player as talented as Johnson should NOT be downgraded to RB2.

Because David Johnson can also excel at WR, there is no reason why he and Adrian Peterson can't be dual focal points of the offense. In this day and age, every team needs two good RBs to share the load. This can be a blessing for Johnson in that without another very good RB on the roster, his workload could have been overwhelming. I think DJ and AP will forge a tremendous bond.

if the Cardinals have a chance to make the playoffs, it would be a blessing to have David Johnson fresher and less beat up.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well, I'll bet that the Cards will be more than happy should CP choose to return and will draft a QBOF understudy in 2018. And with $35m + in CAP space as it stands going into next offseason, the Cards have more than enough to play in the Free Agent market.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard