AQ Shipley

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think he was a free agent this whole time. We'll sign him on the front of camp (maybe). This is what happened two years ago.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Frankly AQ could be replaced, smart guy, good leader, but so limited physically

Obviously he is older and slower now, but AQ was an elite athlete for OC coming out of college. Much, much, much more athletic than Mason Cole.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Obviously he is older and slower now, but AQ was an elite athlete for OC coming out of college. Much, much, much more athletic than Mason Cole.

Elite? He was a 7th round pick that ran a 5.26 at the combine. He was strong but nothing about him was elite. There were 6 other centers drafted before him. It took him 3 years before he got his first career start.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Elite? He was a 7th round pick that ran a 5.26 at the combine. He was strong but nothing about him was elite. There were 6 other centers drafted before him. It took him 3 years before he got his first career start.

Shipley’s Mockdraftable:
6’ 1”
5.19 forty
31 in vert (84th percentile)
4.4 ss (97th percentile)
33 reps (91st percentile)

Cole’s
6’ 4”
5.23 forty
23.5in vert (4th percentile)
4.78 ss (19th percentile)
23 reps (30th percentile)

elite athlete vs a crappy athlete

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Shipley’s Mockdraftable:
6’ 1”
5.19 forty
31 in vert (84th percentile)
4.4 ss (97th percentile)
33 reps (91st percentile)

Cole’s
6’ 4”
5.23 forty
23.5in vert (4th percentile)
4.78 ss (19th percentile)
23 reps (30th percentile)

elite athlete vs a crappy athlete

Not sure where you got your numbers.

NFL Combine has AQ with a 5.26 40, 31 inch vertical, 8' 4" broad jump, 33 bench reps
Cole with a 5.15 40, 23.5 vertical, 8' 8" broad, 23 reps

Nothing aside from AQs vertical and bench were better than average

AQ was nothing special as a prospect, Mason Cole wasn't either but to call AQ "elite" is an overuse of the word elite.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I called him an “elite athlete” which he clearly was based upon his vert, short shuttle, and bench.

perhaps he had severe technique issues that led to his draft slide, idk

he is unquestionably a far superior athlete to Mason Cole

Reaction score
I called him an “elite athlete” which he clearly was based upon his vert, short shuttle, and bench.

I don't know enough about Cole to compare him to Shipley athletically. What I do know is AQ's best attributes are his intelligence and his work ethic. Hence he was smart enough, and enough of a workout warrior to perform well in combine tests. It was those same attributes along with tenacity which enabled him to carve out an NFL career. But he was never athletically gifted. The reason he was a low round draft pick was because he was too small and has short arms.

Ironically, shorter arms can be an advantage in bench press reps, but not on taking on opposing linemen.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

he is unquestionably a far superior athlete to Mason Cole

He is unquestionably 33 and 9 years older than Cole.

This is a young man's game.

He is not unquestionably far superior anymore.

Use all the fancy, eccentric adjectives and passive agressive insults you want, what you state is simply not accurate.

Wait 13 years and you will understand what 33 means. I played rugby at 33.....no where near what I could do at 24.

Shipley has more value as a coach.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Couple things:
1. I should have said “Shipley was unquestionably a better athlete than Cole when he came out of college.”
2. NFL is a young man’s game, but offensive linemen frequently maintain their levels of play well into their 30s AND continuity on the line is extremely important.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't know enough about Cole to compare him to Shipley athletically. What I do know is AQ's best attributes are his intelligence and his work ethic. Hence he was smart enough, and enough of a workout warrior to perform well in combine tests. It was those same attributes along with tenacity which enabled him to carve out an NFL career. But he was never athletically gifted. The reason he was a low round draft pick was because he was too small and has short arms.

Ironically, shorter arms can be an advantage in bench press reps, but not on taking on opposing linemen.

Mockdraftables spider chart is a very good proxy for field athleticism. It’s literally where SPARQ ratings come from, and how NFL FOs track athleticism.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Last point: several opponents’ coaching staffs remarked on how fast and athletic our offensive line was last year. Cole is an unproven mediocre commodity at best, and is decidedly NOT possessive of traits that could lead even his mother to think of him as a legit read option zone running style center.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's entirely possible that Mason Cole actually isn't good. He got an "F" grade as a center from NFLCombineResults.com. I really want him to be good because I like the Wolverines and it would be great to have a top-notch center for once, but he doesn't have the physical traits you're looking for.

Gaillard doesn't have them either, apparently. He didn't work out at the Combine, but his pro day results were not good, either.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple things:
1. I should have said “Shipley was unquestionably a better athlete than Cole when he came out of college.”
2. NFL is a young man’s game, but offensive linemen frequently maintain their levels of play well into their 30s AND continuity on the line is extremely important.
Continuity for next year or for the next 5 years?

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Continuity for next year or for the next 5 years?

For next year. Having most of the guys play all 16 last year was so important.

I’m not expecting AQ to be around too much longer, but he was fairly good last year and can actually zone block. I thought we would target a C in the 4th (like the Temple guy or Cushenberry), but the main targets went early.