Anyone else nervous about next Tuesday?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we'll land at #2 or #3. As long as we don't land at #7 I can live with the results but #7 is the worst possible outcome. We may not be able to get Coby White there. If we can't get Ja then White is the next best PG. I wouldn't be against taking Barrett to trade him. I can't see us hanging onto Barrett if we take him. Although he would provide some Oubre insurance.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What can go wrong? well they could land outside the top two and draft a SF. Then pass on O because of this. Or they could draft Coby White which would be a huge mistake.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm nervous because I want #1 or #2, but I know the odds so I know I'm hoping for a long-shot.

After that I just tell myself that every year we act like the selection order is the player rankings written in stone. I mean, just look at two years ago: Fultz, Ball, Tatum, Jackson. A real mix of up-and-down, regression, and missing-in-action. Right now I would rather have seen how Fox, Smith Jr., or Mitchell panned out for us than any of them. Or Markkanen. I might not feel the same way at this point next year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm nervous because I want #1 or #2, but I know the odds so I know I'm hoping for a long-shot.

After that I just tell myself that every year we act like the selection order is the player rankings written in stone. I mean, just look at two years ago: Fultz, Ball, Tatum, Jackson. A real mix of up-and-down, regression, and missing-in-action. Right now I would rather have seen how Fox, Smith Jr., or Mitchell panned out for us than any of them. Or Markkanen. I might not feel the same way at this point next year.

I agree with that but what worries me is compared to years past the players outside of the top 3 or 4 aren't getting much buzz, at all. There's Zion as the clear cut #1, Morant and Barrett are in tier 2, and then there is a significant drop for the rest. I know there's been some talk of Coby White, Garland, Bol Bol, and Reddish but I think White and Garland are mentioned primarily because of need for us. They're top 10 talent but I don't know what other teams would be happy to take either at #4 or #5. Bol and Reddish are two guys who were at the top of the class when the year started but have slipped because of injury, in the case of Bol, and inconsistent play, regarding Reddish. I can see both being good pros but I can see them as busts just as easily. Neither are good fits with the team as it's assembled currently, even if Oubre and Holmes aren't retained they still don't fit very well. Behind the top 3 there's a drop off and looking at who is left, it's hard to see a player that would help us much, if at all, unless they're used in a trade. Who else is there beyond those 7 players? It's not just here either but most everywhere is focused on the top without much talk of late lottery picks.

If we traded the pick, or the player we select at #4, #5, #6, or #7, what might they bring back in return? A starting PG? Maybe an old and overpaid starter like Dragic or Teague. How about a PF? Maybe someone on a contract a team is looking to unload like Marvin Williams from Charlotte ($15 million player option), Jon Leuer from Detroit ($9.5 million guaranteed), or James Johnson from Miami ($15 million for 2019-20 & player option for $16 in 2020-21). So there aren't a lot of great options if we fall out of the top 3. If we land at #4 it might be ok because one of the top 3 could slip for some reason, or we might be able to trade up 1 or 2 spots, but falling farther than #4 is what I hope we can avoid. It wouldn't be catastrophic but it wouldn't be good. I guess trading the pick for a future pick, if there's a taker for a deal like we did with Chicago years back, might help us more than picking someone whose fit is questionable. That way we free up more cap space to use elsewhere.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know I will have the kleenex ready for the tears that will ensue when I see us get pick 6 or 7! Like I said, I have my family on standby to call an ambulance should we get the first pick!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with that but what worries me is compared to years past the players outside of the top 3 or 4 aren't getting much buzz, at all. There's Zion as the clear cut #1, Morant and Barrett are in tier 2, and then there is a significant drop for the rest. I know there's been some talk of Coby White, Garland, Bol Bol, and Reddish but I think White and Garland are mentioned primarily because of need for us. They're top 10 talent but I don't know what other teams would be happy to take either at #4 or #5. Bol and Reddish are two guys who were at the top of the class when the year started but have slipped because of injury, in the case of Bol, and inconsistent play, regarding Reddish. I can see both being good pros but I can see them as busts just as easily. Neither are good fits with the team as it's assembled currently, even if Oubre and Holmes aren't retained they still don't fit very well. Behind the top 3 there's a drop off and looking at who is left, it's hard to see a player that would help us much, if at all, unless they're used in a trade. Who else is there beyond those 7 players? It's not just here either but most everywhere is focused on the top without much talk of late lottery picks.

If we traded the pick, or the player we select at #4, #5, #6, or #7, what might they bring back in return? A starting PG? Maybe an old and overpaid starter like Dragic or Teague. How about a PF? Maybe someone on a contract a team is looking to unload like Marvin Williams from Charlotte ($15 million player option), Jon Leuer from Detroit ($9.5 million guaranteed), or James Johnson from Miami ($15 million for 2019-20 & player option for $16 in 2020-21). So there aren't a lot of great options if we fall out of the top 3. If we land at #4 it might be ok because one of the top 3 could slip for some reason, or we might be able to trade up 1 or 2 spots, but falling farther than #4 is what I hope we can avoid. It wouldn't be catastrophic but it wouldn't be good. I guess trading the pick for a future pick, if there's a taker for a deal like we did with Chicago years back, might help us more than picking someone whose fit is questionable. That way we free up more cap space to use elsewhere.

That didn't turn out well for the Suns in 2004. The #7 pick was traded to Chicago and translated into Vroman and the 21th pick the following season. The Suns ended up trading that pick (Nate Robinson) to the Knicks.

If the Suns draft later and they cannot trade the pick for a helpful player, I'd pick White or Garland in that order. Minimally one should translate into a backup point guard.

The Suns should be able to sign a starting point guard in free agency.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
My expectations are low. Odds of winning the lottery two years in a row are slim. I expect they will move down a couple of spots, and trade the pick.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That didn't turn out well for the Suns in 2004. The #7 pick was traded to Chicago and translated into Vroman and the 21th pick the following season. The Suns ended up trading that pick (Nate Robinson) to the Knicks.

If the Suns draft later and they cannot trade the pick for a helpful player, I'd pick White or Garland in that order. Minimally one should translate into a backup point guard.

I think they sign the BPA with whatever #1 pick they get--unless they can trade the pick for a player of need. I am convinced that Cam Reddish will be a bust. I would be OK with Garland. He is a swing for the fences type of pick. He has such a small sample size of college work, he could surprise. Not sure about Coby.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they sign the BPA with whatever #1 pick they get--unless they can trade the pick for a player of need. I am convinced that Cam Reddish will be a bust. I would be OK with Garland. He is a swing for the fences type of pick. He has such a small sample size of college work, he could surprise. Not sure about Coby.

I'm thinking BPA is likely a point guard if the Suns draft later, like #6 or #7. I feel better about Colby because of his height and the concern Garland had a knee injury.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You and I are on opposite sides of the fence. I really don't know that much about Garland. White's size, he's already shooting from NBA three distance, and ability to finish around the basket, I think makes him the most NBA ready guy. I have to admit I know next to nothing about Garland, though.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
After the first two or (maybe) three picks, I see a lot of Michael Kidd-Gilchrists and Ben McLemores in this draft class. Blah...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That didn't work out great for us but it did allow us enough room to add Q with Nash and Chicago's turnaround was unexpected. If we could make a deal with Cleveland for a future 1st, I'd do that, because I doubt they're out of the lottery next year. In the East there aren't a lot of teams that I'd take that chance on but Cleveland is one and maybe Washington is another. I'd do that trade with Memphis or New Orleans in the West but both of those teams have a player I'd rather get in return, Conley and Holiday. Of course our pick alone wouldn't get that done but our pick does open talks, I'd think, and including Warren as well as Jackson might get it done if we're talking Conley. I'd rather send out the Bucks pick than Jackson but it's not what we want so much as they'll accept. It would concern me some if they wanted to keep their aging PG's and do a pick swap though. I'd want to know why they won't trade them. If they think they can retool then I'd bet they can't but if they plan on trading them elsewhere I'd try like hell to be a third team in that trade.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am soooo would love to see suns land zion with him booker ayton it would hopefully attract fa good players to want to come here again

Would not mind ja eaither he would fill a suns gap more

I am expecting the not so pic though

Ill be watching next Tuesday what ever happens happens

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
After the first two or (maybe) three picks, I see a lot of Michael Kidd-Gilchrists and Ben McLemores in this draft class. Blah...
Which is exactly why we won't trade the pick if it's 4 or worse. Everyone seems convinced we'll trade it, but I don't know if we'll see any takers--it's not like we're the only ones who don't see any value in those picks. And even if we DID trade it, even with throw-ins like Warren, I doubt teams are going to offer much for it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That didn't work out great for us but it did allow us enough room to add Q with Nash and Chicago's turnaround was unexpected. If we could make a deal with Cleveland for a future 1st, I'd do that, because I doubt they're out of the lottery next year. In the East there aren't a lot of teams that I'd take that chance on but Cleveland is one and maybe Washington is another. I'd do that trade with Memphis or New Orleans in the West but both of those teams have a player I'd rather get in return, Conley and Holiday. Of course our pick alone wouldn't get that done but our pick does open talks, I'd think, and including Warren as well as Jackson might get it done if we're talking Conley. I'd rather send out the Bucks pick than Jackson but it's not what we want so much as they'll accept. It would concern me some if they wanted to keep their aging PG's and do a pick swap though. I'd want to know why they won't trade them. If they think they can retool then I'd bet they can't but if they plan on trading them elsewhere I'd try like hell to be a third team in that trade.

I'm guessing a lot of teams are viewing the draft the same way we are, that's it's a top 3 draft.

We agree trading a lower draft pick for a proven player might be the best option although I do like White.

Somehow I'd like to get a player like Mfiondu Kabengele in the draft but this would likely require a trade down. It's that kind of draft. Thin at the top but some interesting players later on.

There was a time when Kabengele wasn't even mentioned in the mocks.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which is exactly why we won't trade the pick if it's 4 or worse. Everyone seems convinced we'll trade it, but I don't know if we'll see any takers--it's not like we're the only ones who don't see any value in those picks. And even if we DID trade it, even with throw-ins like Warren, I doubt teams are going to offer much for it.
The same reason we would WANT to trade is the reason no one else would want to trade for it--unless we add a player of value to the package. So, if we trade the pick I would expect to be adding a player like Mikal or TJ and/or additional picks from future years.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would anyone here trade Ayton to get the #1 pick? I'm curious. I know trading Bridges isn't something that anyone wants to do but I think most would if we could combine Bridges with our pick for the #1. What I'm asking though is a straight trade, Ayton for the #1 pick. We keep our own pick, which lands at #4. So Ayton for Zion, straight up, yes or no?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Hoop, your posts are filled with good information and opinions. But 5- or 6-line paragraphs are so difficult to read, especially when
they fill the box from left to right.

Please consider confining paragraphs to about three lines. And perhaps limiting lines to about 2/3 of the way across the page.

There is a saying -- when speaking, it is good to listen to what others are hearing, in addition to what you are saying.

In this case, it would be -- when writing, look at what others are reading and make it easy for them to get the most out of your post.

'Just my opinion. Thanks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would anyone here trade Ayton to get the #1 pick? I'm curious. I know trading Bridges isn't something that anyone wants to do but I think most would if we could combine Bridges with our pick for the #1. What I'm asking though is a straight trade, Ayton for the #1 pick. We keep our own pick, which lands at #4. So Ayton for Zion, straight up, yes or no?

I keep Ayton. He should only get better.

While it's a no-brainer drafting Zion at #1, there are question marks if he can play at this weight in the NBA.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hoop, your posts are filled with good information and opinions. But 5- or 6-line paragraphs are so difficult to read, especially when
they fill the box from left to right.

Please consider confining paragraphs to about three lines. And perhaps limiting lines to about 2/3 of the way across the page.

There is a saying -- when speaking, it is good to listen to what others are hearing, in addition to what you are saying.

In this case, it would be -- when writing, look at what others are reading and make it easy for them to get the most out of your post.

'Just my opinion. Thanks.
Safe to assume you don't read classic novels. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard