Anyone else losing interest in the NBA?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Fair enough, "hatred" was a poor word to choose. I apologize.
I just get really sick and tired of the whole "$arver is cheap, and won't spend any money" BS that we see on this board day after day for the past few years.

I am not really "defending" Sarver, I am just trying to be fair and objective.
Sarver has shown his willingness to spend money. He's also shown his ability to make some major mistakes when evaluating talent.

Now, I am not happy about the whole KT trade, and the selling of draft picks for nothing. Some will say that was D'Antoni more than Sarver, but at the very least Sarver yielded to D'Antoni on some decisions, which was a big mistake.
Sarver has made his share of bone-headed decisions, and the Suns will be paying for them for a while.

I am not saying Sarver is the best thing since sliced bread. Hell, I am not even saying Sarver is "good." I am just saying that he is not quite the devil some people try to make it out to be.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I am not saying Sarver is the best thing since sliced bread. Hell, I am not even saying Sarver is "good." I am just saying that he is not quite the devil some people try to make it out to be.
In the world of sports competition, "good" or "bad" is not as relevant as "better than most of his peers".

Sarver's leadership has been worse than most of his peers.

Would it better for the Suns if Sarver stays or sells? The answer seems clear.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
For the poster (Billy Bob) who mentioned seeing The Hawk at Hobo Joe's in 1970, my parents told the very same story when I was a kid. So either Connie ate there often, or they were there the exact same time as Billy, which would be quite a coincidence. quote]

My Mom used to work at that Hobo Joe's, she said Connie Hawkins was a regular. I've ran into him several times over the years all in that neighborhood, Basha's, Safeway, Phoenix City Grill, at a gas station. Connie was my all time favorite Sun, very approachable always willing to spend a moment with a fan.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, "hatred" was a poor word to choose. I apologize.
I just get really sick and tired of the whole "$arver is cheap, and won't spend any money" BS that we see on this board day after day for the past few years.

I am not really "defending" Sarver, I am just trying to be fair and objective.
Sarver has shown his willingness to spend money. He's also shown his ability to make some major mistakes when evaluating talent.

Now, I am not happy about the whole KT trade, and the selling of draft picks for nothing. Some will say that was D'Antoni more than Sarver, but at the very least Sarver yielded to D'Antoni on some decisions, which was a big mistake.
Sarver has made his share of bone-headed decisions, and the Suns will be paying for them for a while.

Even after all these years Sarver remains an enigma to me and I bet to many others on the board. JC was far from perfect as an owner but he had a learning curve and there was no doubt he wanted what was best for the Suns. JC was open with his communication to the fans which is something I sorely miss. Not so much with Sarver. I really do not have an idea of what he has planned for the Suns future. I can guess, but that's about it. I'm not convinced the Suns are his passion. I think he enjoys the Suns but I believe it is a passing affair which I hope ends soon with the sell of the franchise.

In any regards, Sarver seems to want to have his hands on the controls as noted by the player personnel moves he made the past off season before Babby and Blanks came on-board. Also the roles filled by Babby and Blanks are not typical. Sarver seems to be frugal and yet willing to spend without apparently having a thought out game plan. IMO, he should be seeking and heeding the advice of a top basketball mind which would normally be the GM.

I really do not know which direction Sarver is taking the Suns and I sometimes wonder if he does as well. Sometimes the road to nowhere is paved with good intentions (a slight modification on the proverb). ;)

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
If Sarver owned a pancake shop:

-He'd have them sell pancakes that were too old.
-He'd tell YOU what worked best on the plate with the pancakes, not what made the most sense.
-If you want Alcohol, too bad. There's no "drafting" at this place.
-He's never really run a pancake shop before but was really good at selling bikes and made a lot of money doing it, so he MUST know pancakes.
-"Eye on the Fries"
-There's probably a lot better pancakes in LA, Dallas, San Antonio, Orlando, Miami, Chicago, OKC, and several more cities, but they are still good, and can normally compete.
-Pancakes are only available with soft centers. NO exceptions.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

-He'd tell YOU what worked best on the plate with the pancakes, not what made the most sense.
-He's never really run a pancake shop before but was really good at selling bikes and made a lot of money doing it, so he MUST know pancakes.
-"Eye on the Fries"
-There's probably a lot better pancakes in LA, Dallas, San Antonio, Orlando, Miami, Chicago, OKC, and several more cities, but they are still good, and can normally compete.
And he'd probably eat at IHOP -- spending money, but not in the right places.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

-"Eye on the Fries"

LOL. He could always refuse to pay a key player and subsequently trade him to Atlanta. But that would change the menu from pancakes to French Toast.

Steve

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

-"Eye on the Fries"

Some funny stuff.

Thankfully, Gortat does not fit in the "soft centers" mold.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
At this point, I'm not sure Sarver really is as bad as gets made out to be. The problem is that thee are so few owners who have the skills and the money to do the job, it is hard to point to that many genius owners.

As it stands, it is my understanding that 22 of the 30 teams lost money last season. I don't just mean on paper, they had to dig into their pocket to meet payroll. Mark Cuban paid something like $86 million last season.

I would be interested in a detailed finalncial analysis of the NBA, but it seems likely next season when it happens will have a radically different CBA. It may not help the Suns, but clearly Sarver could not afford to be in the busienss as it is curretly structured.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz