Anyone else losing interest in the NBA?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always had interest in the Arizona Cardinals but I find myself becoming totally engrossed in the NFL with the NBA lockout. Actually I am having to remind myself to visit the Suns forum. Don't get me wrong, I live and breathe the Suns and I'm sure I will follow the NBA closely if they ever get things going again. However, if a die hard Suns fan can lose some passion for the sport of their choice, one can only wonder what might happen to a casual or average fan of the sport.

IMO, the NBA does not have the ground swell of support the NFL enjoys. The NBA needs to learn they are playing for higher stakes than money... they need to be working hard to keep their fans. The NFL did not have the problem of their franchises losing money. The NBA needs to get things settled to keep building their fan base they have worked hard to build up. I'm not sure if the NBA (as we know it today) can survive if a season is lost.

Anyone else finding the NBA is becoming an afterthought?

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Yeah, it's been that way for me for over a year now. Part of it is realizing the suns aren't going to compete anytime soon, and not wanting to just switch to another team. Suns or bust, but it's been tough to be a fan.

I'm more of a college football guy, and with Boise State doing so well, it's hard to continue to follow the Suns with the results between the two being so different.

That said, at least the Suns can win a championship by their performance, and it's not based on strength of schedule, polls, and other coaches! :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's been that way for me for over a year now. Part of it is realizing the suns aren't going to compete anytime soon, and not wanting to just switch to another team. Suns or bust, but it's been tough to be a fan.

I'm more of a college football guy, and with Boise State doing so well, it's hard to continue to follow the Suns with the results between the two being so different.

That said, at least the Suns can win a championship by their performance, and it's not based on strength of schedule, polls, and other coaches! :)

Oh cry me a river. Just what the world needs, another whiney Boise State fan.:D Seriously, I agree you guys got jobbed. It's a fun team to watch every year and it's got to be frustrating that everyone else seems to get to settle things on the field but you guys are held to a different and impossible standard. Not that it will make you feel any better but us long suffering ASU fans are much more familiar with this concept than we'd like. We also got screwed out of a national championship because of who we were, not because of what we did on the field. It was long ago but the wound still hasn't healed.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always had interest in the Arizona Cardinals but I find myself becoming totally engrossed in the NFL with the NBA lockout. Actually I am having to remind myself to visit the Suns forum. Don't get me wrong, I live and breathe the Suns and I'm sure I will follow the NBA closely if they ever get things going again. However, if a die hard Suns fan can lose some passion for the sport of their choice, one can only wonder what might happen to a casual or average fan of the sport.

IMO, the NBA does not have the ground swell of support the NFL enjoys. The NBA needs to learn they are playing for higher stakes than money... they need to be working hard to keep their fans. The NFL did not have the problem of their franchises losing money. The NBA needs to get things settled to keep building their fan base they have worked hard to build up. I'm not sure if the NBA (as we know it today) can survive if a season is lost.

Anyone else finding the NBA is becoming an afterthought?

I think the NBA is in a lot of trouble and they know it. When the season fails to start, I think a lot of fans will find other ways to spend their time and dollars and it will take more than a few months to bring back the passion. But I doubt it will put their survival at risk. I really expect to see fewer teams when the NBA does return and that will probably help them "appear" to recover fairly quickly.

Steve

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just consider them locked out right now, like when a friend takes off to Europe, I'll just chill and wait to hang out when they get back.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I just consider them locked out right now, like when a friend takes off to Europe, I'll just chill and wait to hang out when they get back.
You must be registered for see images

DesertDawg

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the NBA is in a lot of trouble and they know it. When the season fails to start, I think a lot of fans will find other ways to spend their time and dollars and it will take more than a few months to bring back the passion. But I doubt it will put their survival at risk. I really expect to see fewer teams when the NBA does return and that will probably help them "appear" to recover fairly quickly.

Steve

I think you hit the nail on the head. The NBA is having trouble supporting the teams they presently have. If they start to lose teams, fans and downsize this is what I meant,

I'm not sure if the NBA (as we know it today) can survive if a season is lost.

The owners and players need to realize that the fans may be slow to return even when a labor agreement is reached. The NBA is not commanding the headlines now and if they lose a season, fan interest will likely wane.

Maybe Sarver should consider selling now before the value drops. :D

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I find myself going to U of A messageboards to read more about recruiting lol Basketball will always be my favorite Sport and the Suns will always be my first love. While I don't watch as many games, I still Love watching the Suns. With a year off to give all my attention to College Basketball and the NBA Draft - it wouldn't be the end of the world though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find myself going to U of A messageboards to read more about recruiting lol Basketball will always be my favorite Sport and the Suns will always be my first love. While I don't watch as many games, I still Love watching the Suns. With a year off to give all my attention to College Basketball and the NBA Draft - it wouldn't be the end of the world though.

I know what you mean. I'm a big Suns fan but I have always preferred college basketball. I also frequent the UA message boards but I never post on them anymore. I grew up in Sun Devil territory and was a big ASU fan even before I went to school there but I'm also a diehard Wildcat basketball fan. I start to feel a little schizo if I post there (and on our own Cats forum) because of all the antagonism between Cats and Devils so I just lurk. If the lockout continues, I'll just watch that much more college basketball and that's never a bad thing.

Steve

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soccer is my other favorite sport (probably my number 1) and there is enough league around the world to follow.
i still pop in sometimes on basketball sites to read what is going on, but i have to say the frequency is rapidly diminishing.

I know i will be back when the season resumes; whenever that is, and i will still try to catch all Suns game when i can.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Oh cry me a river. Just what the world needs, another whiney Boise State fan.:D Seriously, I agree you guys got jobbed. It's a fun team to watch every year and it's got to be frustrating that everyone else seems to get to settle things on the field but you guys are held to a different and impossible standard. Not that it will make you feel any better but us long suffering ASU fans are much more familiar with this concept than we'd like. We also got screwed out of a national championship because of who we were, not because of what we did on the field. It was long ago but the wound still hasn't healed.

Steve

:)

Now the Mountain West Coaches complained and as a condition of joining the conference, Boise can't wear blue on the blue turf.

I am familiar with ASU getting screwed, and that was pretty bad. So much is put in the tradition of programs rather than letting things get settled my playing. Even a non traditional team that wins all it's games can not have a chance.

At least in the NBA there is a playoff and winning can be decided in the game, not by endless debates. I know going into the season it's still not likely the suns will win a title, but at least there's a system that would make it happen if they could win some games.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I actually paid more attention this year because the playoffs were so great, and because I spend a month in Phoenix and got to submerse myself in more Suns news than I normally get. But I see what everyone else is saying.

But in addition to football/baseball, I'm a hockey fan as well, so there's a lot of other things going on throughout the NBA season.

Still, if I could have only one championship, it would be the Suns.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Used to watch as many Suns games as I could. Last few years getting more and more into the NFL. NBA is turning rotten with the "superstar" treatment and bad officiating. Looking forward to football season and come as what may with basketball.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Nobody will notice the NBA is missing until October.

They better get their issues worked out by then if they want to stay relevant.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Haven't really cared about this team since the Kurt Thomas the selling of draft picks began.

I have been watching all Cardinals games and other NFL games on the other hand although I never cared about football.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Nobody will notice the NBA is missing until October.

They better get their issues worked out by then if they want to stay relevant.

Probably not even then. People aren't going to worry to much about the NBA until the NFL playoffs are over. And even then they might just watch some hockey.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I've been a Suns fan since I met Connie Hawkins when I was 10 in 1970 at a Hobo Joe's (now denny's 16th and camelback). I lost it before last season for some reason, I watched maybe 2 games last year but it just didn't seem to matter anymore to me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Preferred Humpy Dumpty.

What did they serve? Doesn't matter anyway, Hobo Joes had a very inexpensive all you can eat silver dollar pancake breakfast on Wednesdays and you can't beat that.

Steve

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lost interest in the NBA during their last strike. Never got it back ever!