Anyone else losing interest in the NBA?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was pretty much the same. :p

We had a Hobo Joe's at Los Arcos mall which was fairly close to my High School. It's dawned on me that had Hobo Joe's not offered an all you can eat silver dollar pancake breakfast that I might actually have known what classes I was signed up for on Wednesday mornings. Fortunately, I was already smart enough to find the cheapest, tastiest breakfast in town so who needed a silly old ejucation.

Steve

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did they serve? Doesn't matter anyway, Hobo Joes had a very inexpensive all you can eat silver dollar pancake breakfast on Wednesdays and you can't beat that.

Steve

Okay, now you did it. I'm sitting here craving pancakes and maple syrup. I can taste them but I'm not going to be able to get them today.

salivate... salivate...salivate :bang:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, now you did it. I'm sitting here craving pancakes and maple syrup. I can taste them but I'm not going to be able to get them today.

salivate... salivate...salivate :bang:

You want to know how the NBA is doing? We'd probably get more posting action if we started a pancake thread. It's been awhile for me but the last time I had good silver dollar pancakes was at, believe it or not, McDonalds. If you find some good pancakes, make sure you get enough for all of us.

And for you on-topic freaks, end the lockout and GO SUNS.

Steve

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Billy Bob said:
I've been a Suns fan since I met Connie Hawkins when I was 10 in 1970 at a Hobo Joe's (now denny's 16th and camelback).

elindholm said:
I remember Hobo Joe's!

Preferred Humpy Dumpty.

Anybody remember Sambo's?

As a native Arizonan, my interest in the Phoenix Suns has never waned. I grew up with only one major sports team in my state and that was the Suns. After the 75-76 Finals, I was hooked.

Mr. Robert Sarver is doing his best to turn me away and yet I cannot and consider myself a lifer. I only follow one sport so the lockout is slowly killing me. I hope to use the extra time to get in better shape.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, when I was single I made many a late night trip to Sambo's. I particularly enjoyed their patty melt of all things. Unfortunately, I think they got tagged with a racist label. Too bad, because I really enjoyed their food.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want to know how the NBA is doing? We'd probably get more posting action if we started a pancake thread. It's been awhile for me but the last time I had good silver dollar pancakes was at, believe it or not, McDonalds. If you find some good pancakes, make sure you get enough for all of us.

And for you on-topic freaks, end the lockout and GO SUNS.

Steve

Those pancakes could come from my wife, unfortunately she is balking at the idea tonight. :D

I like McDonalds pancakes but I need more than one small serving.

I'm down with the pancake thread. :thumbup:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We had them all over California when I was a kid. At one time they had 1,117 restaurants in 47 states.

Wife and I still go to the original in Santa Barbara a few times a year. It's still family-owned and has been in operation for 54 years.

BTW: The name came from the founder (Sam Battistone) and his business partner (Newell "Bo" Bohnett).

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We had them all over California when I was a kid. At one time they had 1,117 restaurants in 47 states.

Wife and I still go to the original in Santa Barbara a few times a year. It's still family-owned and has been in operation for 54 years.

BTW: The name came from the founder (Sam Battistone) and his business partner (Newell "Bo" Bohnett).
I was visiting friends in Santa Barbara a few months ago and saw the original Sambo's.

I asked my friends, "What, they didn't change the name to Bob's Big Boy?" (My friends had moved there from Phoenix five years ago.)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in my garage I still have several of those free coffee coins from Sambo's. I preferred Hobo Joes (or Googy's) but my girlfriend's father was a regional manager for the chain so we ate there fairly regularly. He was also a deacon at the Assembly of God church I attended growing up so our youth group would eat there once or twice a week (when we weren't eating at Big Apple or a pizza place near Thomas & Miller - forgot the name). It was an unfortunate name choice.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those pancakes could come from my wife, unfortunately she is balking at the idea tonight. :D

I like McDonalds pancakes but I need more than one small serving.

I'm down with the pancake thread. :thumbup:

I vote we ramble on about the good old days AND pancakes.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hobo joe's, Bob's Big Boy, Googie's, Carrow's, Sambo's, Jerry's, Brookshire's, Shaffer's

I've eaten at each of these except for this one. It doesn't ring a bell - was it a chain?

Steve

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score

some people thought the name was racist.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I've eaten at each of these except for this one. It doesn't ring a bell - was it a chain?

Steve
Might not be spelling it right, I dont know if it was a big chain, I knew of a couple locally. My dad's favorite was Shaffers coffee shop 7th st & McDowell sw corner, I think it's a ciricle k now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vote we ramble on about the good old days AND pancakes.

Steve

I didn't get a chance to eat at some of the restaurants named but I still remember the glory of eating at a drive-up at the Bob's Big Boy restaurant in downtown Phoenix. That was living. I loved the sauce on their Big Boy hamburger. Looking back, it tasted a lot like Thousand Island dressing.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to eat at some of the restaurants named but I still remember the glory of eating at a drive-up at the Bob's Big Boy restaurant in downtown Phoenix. That was living. I loved the sauce on their Big Boy hamburger. Looking back, it tasted a lot like Thousand Island dressing.
I think you can still by the dressing, safeway used to carrie it and it is 1000 island.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since we're talking food, how about a couple of my favorite long ago greasy spoons. Ranch House Burgers on Indian School just west of Scottsdale High School and Blake's Lotta Burger in Phoenix. Hmmm, grease.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score

I suppose that could be the origin of the name but if my memory is correct the Sambo's here in Arizona used illustrations from the well known (at the time) childrens book, "Little Black Sambo".

Granted the title sounds racist but there was nothing remotely racist in the book itself. Sambo is a perfectly ordinary Bengali boy (in India, if your geography is weak) who goes for a walk in his new clothes and carrying his favorite umbrella. He encounters a number of Bengal tigers and they wind up chasing him furiously around a tree - to the point they melt down to butter. His mom makes pancakes and the whole family dines quite royally - he is, of course, the hero. (There have never been tigers in Africa, by the way.)

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose that could be the origin of the name but if my memory is correct the Sambo's here in Arizona used illustrations from the well known (at the time) childrens book, "Little Black Sambo".

Granted the title sounds racist but there was nothing remotely racist in the book itself. Sambo is a perfectly ordinary Bengali boy (in India, if your geography is weak) who goes for a walk in his new clothes and carrying his favorite umbrella. He encounters a number of Bengal tigers and they wind up chasing him furiously around a tree - to the point they melt down to butter. His mom makes pancakes and the whole family dines quite royally - he is, of course, the hero.

Yep. It started out innocently enough but the name and the story were linked together by the public and Sambo's capitalized on it.

Wikipedia: Though the name was taken from portions of the names of its founders, the chain soon found itself associated with The Story of Little Black Sambo. Battistone and Bohnett capitalized on the coincidence by decorating the walls of the restaurants with scenes from the book, including a dark-skinned boy, tigers and a pale, magical unicycle-riding man called "The Treefriend." By the early 1960s, the illustrations depicted a light-skinned boy wearing a jeweled Indian-style turban with the tigers.

From the explanation it wasn't the story (which some people assume is racist just by the title) but just the name itself they had issue with:

Wikipedia: However, in the late-1970s, controversy over the chain's name drew protests and lawsuits in communities that viewed the term Sambo as pejorative towards African-Americans, particularly in the Northeastern states.

Pretty sad that a company could be run into the ground because people perceived it to have an insulting name.

http://www.sambosrestaurant.com/

My wife and I love the restaurant and have no issue with the story, etc. Our pit bull mix is named Sambo. :D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, I LOVE the Suns and I love basketball.

But the NBA is dead to me until this lockout is resolved, I just dont care. Not gonna listen to either side whine about the situation they got themselves into. I probably wont even glance at Suns.com until I hear the CBA is resolved and then I'll be back on board just like with the NFL.