And Riley complains that his team quits?

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Isn't this why teams have scouts? This seems like a ridiculous reason to miss games. Has this been done before from other coaches?

I've always had a mild hatred for Riley since his days on the knicks when he singlehandedly destroyed the face of basketball with his slow grind it out bullying defensive teams. It was effective but boy was it hard to watch.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3280075

This guy is a joke. He stabbed a coach in the back (Van Gundy), and now is going to leave is team during this season. Isn't he the same guy who had his hip surgery or something during the season so he'd miss like 3 weeks or something like that?

I can't believe some of you would want him here.
I hear you Green. In another post i suggested Riley over Mike D simply as an analogy to bringing in a head coach who's a proven winner who also puts a great emphasis on the defensive side of the court.
Given the choice, i certainly wouldn't want the Pat Riley of 2008 here coaching the SUNS.

French Fries

Mangaworm
Reaction score
I hear you Green. In another post i suggested Riley over Mike D simply as an analogy to bringing in a head coach who's a proven winner who also puts a great emphasis on the defensive side of the court.
Given the choice, i certainly wouldn't want the Pat Riley of 2008 here coaching the SUNS.

as a former heat fan i'll tell you this. if you want a coach who will make adjustments late in the game (which works), riley isn't the one you're looking for. his defensive schemes only work when there are good perimeter defenders in his team. plus for a roster full of "old" veterans, his fitness program might turn against the suns. BUT if you want a GM who can get rid of huge contracts, he's your guy...

saying this, i have nothing against riley replacing mike d as coach. riley haters would argue that he only won the titles because he's got future hall of famers on his rosters, well, the suns got 4 of them right?

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Green machine

Riley is the current GM -and- Coach of the HEAT. He has all the responsibilities as a dual role. Sure you can send scouts, but Riley wants to go in person.

He said he will try to avoid missing any games, but if he has to miss any, it will only be one or two games, that's it.

Last edited:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
This guy is a joke. He stabbed a coach in the back (Van Gundy)

Van Gundy retired. There has never been any type of proof that Riley forced Van Gundy out of his job, that's just trash talk. Second, I don't see anything that he's doing wrong here. Is it because he's taking games off to scout college players? He's not just the head coach you know? he's the President as well, that's part of his job. At least he doesn't pull a D'Antoni and take games off while he's sitting on the bench.

I hope Phoenix never does get Riley, he would be disrespected and trash talked till he was ridden out of town on a rail. The guy doesn't fit here, he doesn't coach back yard undisciplined, defenseless, full court, hail marry basketball. Well, ok, maybe he does THIS year. :lol:

OP
OP
green machine

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Hey Green machine

Riley is the current GM -and- Coach of the HEAT. He has all the responsibilities as a dual role. Sure you can send scouts, but Riley wants to go in person.

He said he will try to avoid missing any games, but if he has to miss any, it will only be one or two games, that's it.

Go back to defending your boy Shaq while hating on the HEAT/Riley/Lakers. Your Suns with Shaq record looks a lot like the HEAT lately.

How come he didn't miss any games last year in his dual role? Or the year before?

How come in other sports this is never a problem for coaches with the dual role?

Oh that's right, because they don't quit on their teams like Riley does.

EDIT: And what reason do I have to be hating on the Heat or the Lakers, or really Riley?

OP
OP
green machine

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Van Gundy retired. There has never been any type of proof that Riley forced Van Gundy out of his job, that's just trash talk.

These articles beg to differ.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...pat_riley_stan_van_gundy_have_teams_head.html

When the Heat went on to win the title in 2006, Riley offered his long-time, right-hand man a championship ring. Technically, Van Gundy was still a consultant as he was in exile, and Riley insisted throughout the Heat's playoff run that his former right-hand man was an integral part of the staff, always deeply involved in strategy sessions via e-mail.

But Van Gundy refused to take the championship jewelry, which tells you all you need to know about whether he really resigned, as the company line went, or whether he was forced by Riley to leave. So last night marked the start of an intense rivalry.

"Stan could come out and say that Riley got rid of him, but he keeps everything on the positive," said a Magic insider. "Stan wants to beat him, of course, and now he has the great, young superstar in Dwight Howard to make Riley pay. But he'll never say what really happened."

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/21923813/

So Van Gundy left to spend more time with his family, the feel good politically correct era's shorthand for pink slip. The team was about .500 into December with O'Neal out. Van Gundy was fired, though he couldn't say so to get his money. He wasn't even allowed to talk to other teams or even the media.

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
How come he didn't miss any games last year in his dual role? Or the year before?

How come in other sports this is never a problem for coaches with the dual role?

Oh that's right, because they don't quit on their teams like Riley does.

EDIT: And what reason do I have to be hating on the Heat or the Lakers, or really Riley?

Those questions are so easy it makes you look like a hater, green machine

1) Why didn't he miss any last year? Because the HEAT own the worst record in the NBA this year at 11 wins, which guarantees a top 4 pick and at least most likely is going to be #1 or #2 pick of the DRAFT. Its very important we draft a very good player to go with WADE for our future.

Last year, the HEAT were a playoff team - correction - the defending champions. Nobody thought we were off to a sweep 4-0 by the Bulls in the first round. So the pick wasn't as important now was it?

2) How come in other sports this is never a problem for coaches with the dual role?

Um, what problem? HEAT are about to land the #1 or #2 pick most likely. HEAT want to rebuild around WADE fast. It's very important to Riley.

Secondly, why do you care if he tries to go see in person? What's your deal? You sound like you hate RILEY. He wants to avoid missing ANY games it says in the article, but even if he does miss any, it will only be 1 or 2 games but he gets the chance to SEE THE PLAYERS IN PERSON. That's awesome for him to do.

He COULD just be lazy and not go at all. Looks to me like he is just trying to do a good job in the draft and you are a stupid hater making something big out of nothing.

3) And what reason do I have to be hating on the Heat or the Lakers, or really Riley

I don't know haterboy, you tell me? Riley never backstab Stan Van Gundy. The players (mainly your boy Shaq) didn't like Stan. He wants to play only for Hall of Fame coaches like Phil Jackson and Pat Riley. This is public knowledge. Stan got fed up and Shaq most likely helped push him out to be fed up. Riley in no way back stabbed him. You are just spewing trash, so it's obvious to me you are a hater.

Lastly, you make a big deal out of a coach from -another team- who is about to get the #1 or #2 pick of the draft trying to go see the players in person and MIGHT miss no games or 1-2 games.

You are evidently a hater.

Last edited:

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
These articles beg to differ.

You mean those gossip articles with no facts, just gossip from some writers?

Here's what STAN VAN GUNDY HIMSELF has to say :

"If I'm getting forced out, I would have gotten absolutely every dollar on my contract and walked out the door," Van Gundy said. "That's not what happened here. ... Anybody who's speculating otherwise has to do so in total disregard of the facts of the situation."

Ok greenmachine? please sit down now kthx. Pat Riley is way too classy to do something like that. He always stays out of scandals and doesn't bad mouth his players unless they are playing for him, in which case, he's being their coach getting on their butts for playing bad....

--------------
Riley said he spent the last six weeks trying to persuade Van Gundy to stay, and his former top assistant insisted his decision was voluntary. Players, who were not available for comment because they were traveling, were told Monday morning.

Van Gundy has always professed to being a family-first man, someone who abhors road trips and the idea of spending holidays away from his wife and four children. He said that because of travel, games and practices, he would have seen his children at home only 49 days out of 170 this season.
"That's just not enough any more for me. It's just not enough," Van Gundy said. "I mean, it's been like that for my kids' entire lives. I've got a 14-year-old daughter and it started to hit me when I started thinking about her birthday, which was last month. I've got four more years left with her. Four. And then she'll be off to college and I'm just not willing to sacrifice any more of those four more years."
Van Gundy said he began wrestling with the balance between job and family during the preseason, and told Riley after the regular-season opener at Memphis that they needed to talk about the future.
"I can't believe people have that big a problem actually believing that someone would actually want to spend time with their family," Van Gundy said. "I don't know why that's so hard for people to buy into."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2256435

OP
OP
green machine

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Those questions are so easy it makes you look stupid, green machine

1) Why didn't he miss any last year? Because the HEAT own the worst record in the NBA this year at 11 wins, which guarantees a top 4 pick and at least most likely is going to be #1 or #2 pick of the DRAFT. Its very important we draft a very good player to go with WADE for our future.

Last year, the HEAT were a playoff team - correction - the defending champions. Nobody thought we were off to a sweep 4-0 by the Bulls in the first round. So the pick wasn't as important now was it?

2) How come in other sports this is never a problem for coaches with the dual role?

Um, what problem? HEAT are about to land the #1 or #2 pick most likely. HEAT want to rebuild around WADE fast. It's very important to Riley.

Secondly, why do you care if he tries to go see in person? What's your deal? You sound like you hate RILEY. He wants to avoid missing ANY games it says in the article, but even if he does miss any, it will only be 1 or 2 games but he gets the chance to SEE THE PLAYERS IN PERSON. That's awesome for him to do.

He COULD just be lazy and not go at all. Looks to me like he is just trying to do a good job in the draft and you are a stupid hater making something big out of nothing.

3) And what reason do I have to be hating on the Heat or the Lakers, or really Riley

I don't know haterboy, you tell me? Riley never backstab Stan Van Gundy. The players (mainly your boy Shaq) didn't like Stan. He wants to play only for Hall of Fame coaches like Phil Jackson and Pat Riley. This is public knowledge. Stan got fed up and Shaq most likely helped push him out to be fed up. Riley in no way back stabbed him. You are just spewing trash, so it's obvious to me you are a hater.

Lastly, you make a big deal out of a coach from -another team- who is about to get the #1 or #2 pick of the draft trying to go see the players in person and MIGHT miss no games or 1-2 games.

You are evidently a hater.

1. Being at the top of the draft there will be so much film, info, and chance to meet with the guys I would think he's need to scout even less. Knowing you'll be picking top 5 means you can really narrow your search down to a few players that you like, and only focus on them. If they were picking at the end of the draft I would think there is more of a need to scout more players.

2. Again, other coaches have had the dual role and none of them have ever had to miss games to tend to the GM side.

3. Hater is such a strong word, especially for someone who has no other way to disagree with the person.

And I mentioned it here because I heard his name mentioned as a coach others would like to see in PHX.

Also, me posting one thread about another coach on another team is not anywhere near what you've done, you know, registering and posting as much as you have on ANOTHER TEAM'S BOARD.

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
Show me proof of where I am a blind hater who says non-factual things like green machine did in this thread.

Everything I say about anyone, good or bad, is backed by facts which has lead me to think a certain way about someone - be it good or bad. If I think poorly of someone, you better sit down and believe there is a good reason for it.

Last edited:

French Fries

Mangaworm
Reaction score
Show me proof of where I am a blind hater who says stupid non-factual things like green machine did in this thread.

Everything I say about anyone, good or bad, is backed by facts which has lead me to think a certain way about someone - be it good or bad. If I think poorly of someone, you better sit down and believe there is a good reason for it.

handpicked facts...

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
1. Being at the top of the draft there will be so much film, info, and chance to meet with the guys I would think he's need to scout even less. Knowing you'll be picking top 5 means you can really narrow your search down to a few players that you like, and only focus on them. If they were picking at the end of the draft I would think there is more of a need to scout more players.

Being at the top of the draft = more important than being a defending champion with hopefully the last pick. No discussion for this, just be quiet. Watching film does not = seeing them in person and most likely talking to them.

2. Again, other coaches have had the dual role and none of them have ever had to miss games to tend to the GM side.

Again, What does this have to do with Pat Riley wanting to see first-hand a little bit of the NCAA tournament to pick the best possible player for the MIAMI HEAT with the #1 or #2 pick? It's critical to build around Dwyane Wade right now. What do other coaches have to do with anything? He might not miss any games at all, if he does, only 1 or 2. So what? That's nothing.

3. Hater is such a strong word, especially for someone who has no other way to disagree with the person.

You throw out junk in the first few sentences of this thread you started like if you -did- hate Riley. "blah blah blah this guy is a joke, blah blah backstab van gundy" That's a lot of nonsense you said that isn't even true. You wish you had a 'joke' of a coach like that. 7 championship rings. 1 as a player playing alongside Wilt Chamberlain. 1 as an assistant, 5 as a Head Coach.

---------------------------
And I mentioned it here because I heard his name mentioned as a coach others would like to see in PHX.

you sure did go out of your way to call Riley a 'joke', backstabber (not even true, and make a big deal out of him wanting to do a good job with the #1 pick for the HEAT and maybe not even missing a single game. He will try not to miss any, but if he does, only 1 or 2 games. Does it really matter anymore? 11 wins. That's dead last in the NBA.

Also, me posting one thread about another coach on another team is not anywhere near what you've done, you know, registering and posting as much as you have on ANOTHER TEAM'S BOARD.

A lot of people do that. We just had a very big trade between our teams. I am curious to see the Suns/Shaq's progress. That's nothing compared to starting a thread like you have done. Go re-read your original post in this thread. Over react much? Trash talk untrue facts much?

Last edited:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
If Riley didn't take time off during good years, then I agree that it sets a bad image for him to do it in a bad year. I realize there is likely reason for it, but sometimes you have to take into account the way your actions will be perceived by the public, and this is one of those times.

As for the articles posted that supposedly prove that Van Gundy was forced out, I see nothing in that but speculation. I'm still waiting for proof that Van Gundy was forced out, I haven't seen any yet.

Taking time off in a down year is a bad move for Riley's image, other then that little thing, I don't have any issue with Pat Riley. He's a great coach, but he's going to have his work cut out for him trying to fix the Miami Heat.

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
He took a few weeks off during our defense of our championship last year too, so he has done it before. so what. phil jackson had surgery during a laker season too. it's really a big deal to make sure he picks the best person in the draft with #1 or #2.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Nice cop out. That's a logi. fal. but I bet you don't even know what that is until I made you go google it right now.

Keep up the personal attacks buddy. You're already on thin ice here--you're just pushing yourself over the edge.

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
Keep up the personal attacks buddy. You're already on thin ice here--you're just pushing yourself over the edge.

Excuse me Charlie, but greenmachine used the 'personal attacks' .
greenmachine said:
That's all I need to read to tell what kind of person I'm dealing with here.

That is a 'personal attack' that had nothing to do with the subject. Why aren't you whining about that? Oh right. My name says MIAMIHEAT.

What I said was fact - he used a log. fal. on me and those who use them 99% of the time, they don't know what they are.

so you are pushing it trying to get poster you don't agree with in trouble and you should stop trolling.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Excuse me Charlie, but greenmachine used the 'personal attacks' . What I said was fact - he used a log. fal. on me and those who use them 99% of the time, they don't know what they are.

so you are pushing it trying to get poster you don't agree with in trouble and you should stop trolling.

HAHAHA I'm trolling? I disagree with a lot of people on here, but you have consistently called what people write "stupid" and you tell them to "be quiet". Great decorum. And hate to tell you, a Suns fan will get more leeway on this board than you ever will.

OP
OP
green machine

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
He took a few weeks off during our defense of our championship last year too, so he has done it before. so what. phil jackson had surgery during a laker season too. it's really a big deal to make sure he picks the best person in the draft with #1 or #2.

What do they say about rats, that they always jump ship when things go bad?

That's Riley for ya.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard