American Idol 7 Thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Castro is by far the worst top 4 in the history of American Idol. In all honesty, just going on pure talent, he doesn't even belong in the top 10.

As bad as Castro is, remember in season 1, Nicki McKibbin(sp?) made the top 3 when Tamyra Gray was voted out? She stunk too... It might be a tie between Castro & Nikki as worst in top 4.

Did anyone else notice Castro yawning at the start of the show when Seacrest was introducing the top 4?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I didn't watch this week, yet.

I like Castro. I think the judges are doing him a disservice by asking him to "get out of his comfort zone." He's not a powerhouse voice, but I like the simplicity in it and I think he should stick with that and set the arrangements to highlight the stripped-down qualities of his voice.

JMHO.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I yawn when I'm nervous, so I attribute that to the same thing.

What sucks about Castro is that Hallelujah performance was amazing. I really thought the guy was going to do some great things on the show. And was I ever proven wrong.

If you sing like Jeff Buckley, you should probably expect to have the same limitations as Jeff Buckley. It's a good song that matched Castro's voice. The number of songs that are like that could probably counted on your fingers. Castro's limitations are being exposed.

Someone with Castro's voice usually ends up making money as a songwriter, not as a singer.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I didn't watch this week, yet.

I like Castro. I think the judges are doing him a disservice by asking him to "get out of his comfort zone." He's not a powerhouse voice, but I like the simplicity in it and I think he should stick with that and set the arrangements to highlight the stripped-down qualities of his voice.

JMHO.
I generally like Castro, too. He was just pretty bad this week.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
If you sing like Jeff Buckley, you should probably expect to have the same limitations as Jeff Buckley. It's a good song that matched Castro's voice. The number of songs that are like that could probably counted on your fingers. Castro's limitations are being exposed.

Someone with Castro's voice usually ends up making money as a songwriter, not as a singer.

One of the few critiques I have of the show is the themed weeks.

If it's really a singing competition let'em come out and do what they do best and let America decide.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Castro is nothing more than the pot head guy who is always playing his guitar in the lounge of your dorm. The guy should have been gone weeks ago.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
I don't get Archuleta, he has a great voice but he's boring as hell to watch?

Of the final 4 Syesha and Cook are the only ones who actually come off to me as someone who could actually spend an hour on stage at a concert and keep people interested. I think with Archuleta after about 3-4 songs you'd want to walk out because it's the same thing and boring.
:yeahthat:

Exactly. It's always him standing in one place with his right arm outstretched with his hand open, eyes squinted to show his "feelings" face, and slightly bobbing his head when a line doesn't end on a power note. He's a great singer but a terrible performer. He might get it with experience but right now it's just boring.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whew...all is right with the world. As bad as he was Tuesday, I can't help but like Castro. He seems like such a fun, genuine, down to earth guy. It was way past his time to go, though. Syesha is out next week. Sadly, she just keeps dodging bullets each week.

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
Jason knew he was going home. He knew it was time to get out, that probably effected his performance last night. The Vegas trip was too much for him? A taste of "the fast lane" was sour?

I think Linder is right about Syesha next week.

The two Davids will be the finalists. Youth vs. *****-grungy. That's a tough call. I said it all along, I don't want Cook to win because I think he'll be better off without it.

So I guess that leaves Archuleta, and Simon was right. He's the only one who appears in it to win it.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Syesha is in my Top 10, and that list has nothing to do with singing.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were channel surfing last night and some show had a shot of ARchuleta with a headline "is the fix in on AI?" Apparently a lot of people aren't buying
how he performs every week and then Randy declares him "the bomb". I guess there's a lot of internet buzz suggesting they've essentially already decided he'll win.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were channel surfing last night and some show had a shot of ARchuleta with a headline "is the fix in on AI?" Apparently a lot of people aren't buying
how he performs every week and then Randy declares him "the bomb". I guess there's a lot of internet buzz suggesting they've essentially already decided he'll win.

That's lame. People voting are asking themselves different questions. Some are asking, "Would I pay money to see him sing?" and some are asking, "Who has the best voice?" Archuleta could theoretically have people in both camp. I don't think that's questionable, either. Most of those voting for him may not be older than 18, but a 30 something TV producer probably isn't going to have the same perspective on the contestants as a 15-year-old high school sophomore.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's lame. People voting are asking themselves different questions. Some are asking, "Would I pay money to see him sing?" and some are asking, "Who has the best voice?" Archuleta could theoretically have people in both camp. I don't think that's questionable, either. Most of those voting for him may not be older than 18, but a 30 something TV producer probably isn't going to have the same perspective on the contestants as a 15-year-old high school sophomore.

I think the point they were making is they felt the judges would rave if archuleta farted. In other words they feel like the judges are going out of their way to praise him to try and influence the vote.

I suspect this goes back to the claims on many sites that Archuleta has a several year long relationship with the producers of the show dating back to when he won Star Search and was brought to the set of American Idol and introduced to contestants etc. The claim is his manager is very well connected to Idol producers.

I readily admit the guy has a great voice but I often watch him perform and think that was ok and then am stunned at the reaction of the judges who week after week call him the best one there.

it was just interesting to actually see someone on tv suggest it I'm not saying it really is fixed I mean it'd be pretty tough to fix a show that depends on fan voting without someone finding out.

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
Archuleta's voice is "the bomb", and I'm sure Randy and Simon are basing their critique on that point.

Bo's comments last night were interesting, particularly how some contestants were "hiding" behind the instruments.

I also think it was good for them to know that even if you don't win it, there can be a career beyond AI.

I think the Maroon 5 dude gave some great advice as well.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cook is still my favorite although Archuleta and Syesha are also very good.

I wouldn't mind seeing any of the remaining 3 win. However I still think Cook will end up being the biggest of the three no matter what happens.

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
Archuleta needs to have the Hannah Montana approach. He is popular with the young girls. He really should focus on that audience while he can. Timberlake has proven that you can succeed in both arenas. If he wins, the record label should promote him in that way.

Cook is a rock star, or soon to be one, like Daughtry. If that guy stays true to himself, he'll be HUGE!

Syesha is headed for Broadway. Or at least she should be. Film maybe, like the Dream Girls girl, Hudson was it?

No matter what, these kids are living the dream right now. Good for them!

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Tonight will be Syesha's last night on Idol.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope David Archuleta gets the axe intsead, but I have a feeling it's going to fall on Syesha rather she deserves it or not. :(

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seemed like the judges were abnormally harsh last night even Paula was negative? And why say you didn't like the song choice when it was directors choice or judges choice, you can't blame the contestant for that?

I thought Archuleta's Chris Brown was horrible, much worse than the judges said because it just proved he can't do R &B. Simon was the most dead on with it he even laughed about his dancing and Archuleta said "I was dancing?"
Randy said it's not you and David said hard song for a white guy or something similar.

I actually thought Syesha's Fever was pretty good, yes an odd choice for her choice but given the 2 songs chosen for her (Alicia Keys and Rihanna) if she just chooses an R&B or Hiphop song they'll say she's predictable.

Liked Cook in all 3 songs didn't get Paula's comment about beginning middle and end hell in the time they have that's almost impossible it's a given.

I thought it was pretty clear last night they were trying to steer the vote to push both Davids through all 3judges made comments to Syesha about she might regret it tomorrow and honestly I thought her best was as good as Archuleta's and her worst was better than his worst.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
That Fantasia song was horrendous. But Simon's face during the performance made it all worth watching.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Fantasia song was horrendous. But Simon's face during the performance made it all worth watching.

Hell yeah I can't believe somneone produced that song. It was completely incomprehensible,

And the hair is awful.