07: "Junkhead"
08: "Dirt"
09: "God Smack"
10: "Blank?"
11. "Hate To Feel"
12: "Angry Chair"
13: "Would?"

You must be registered for see images

Alice-In-Chains definitely ranks w/in my top-5 favorite bands of the 90s, however I along with everyone who was deeply impacted their music will still always wonder......What if? It's too unfortunate that Layne Staley could never "beat" his addiction, or AIC would still will be generating phenomonal music that helped mold the "Grunge" movement and also influenced several other acts in the process. It's unreal how much more they could have accomplished, especially with Staley's sheer dynamic vocals and compelling lyrics, Jerry Cantrell's electricfying guitar playing (also his lyrics were just beyond awesome), Mike Starr and Mike Inez were both stellar bass-players, and Sean Kinney was a steady drummer....One of the best qualities of Alice-in-Chains was when Staley/Cantrell shared vocal harmonies since their voices blended together perfectly....

As far as "Dirt", that particular album did not contain any weaknesses. From the start of "Them Bones" (what a way to begin a landmark album with something as pulsating) and end with "Would?" (just the ideal climax to any album), I then again think of "what if"...."Face Lift" was a great debut, but "Dirt" definitely helped further propel them further into greatness....To me they reached their peak on "Dirt" and weren't able to completely match it....
"Jar of Flies" and "Sap" were solid EPs and "Self Titled" seemed to be uneven in most parts...

The stand-outs of "Dirt" are "Rooster" (Cantrell's lyrics regarding his father's struggles in Vietnam, but Staley conveyed them like if as though it reflected his own personal experience), and "Down In A Hole" is probably the ultimate "Grunge" ballad if there ever can be one.... But, each and every single song had an impact on me at some time in my life, so I could go on and on in regards to them.....

I just again most reiterate the constant refrain of, "What if?" Alice-in-Chains had a lot more to achieve, but I guess a slight consolation is that Cantrell has 2 vastly under-rated solo albums, but nothing will ever counter "Dirt", when Alice-in-Chains were at their best......

Jim O

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Damn you! I was going to use this album during my week! :D

This is a great album. I love Alice In Chains. I am still mad that I didn't get to see them perform live. The vocal harmonies that you mentioned are one of their greatest qualities. They just have a unique sound and I am drawn to it.

During my second year in college (1995), I was taking a Geology class. Our teacher was the coolest guy. We were studying rivers and he said that he would give one extra credit point for every song that had the word "river" in the lyrics. The only thing was that you had to put it on tape and play it for the class. I found 26 songs in my CD collection that contained the word "river" and the teacher was floored. Of course, I used Track #2 from Dirt - Damn That River and I also used The River of Deceit by Layne Staley's side project Mad Season.

:band:

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Excellent album. This band never sold out and put their own stamp on the Seattle "grung" scene. Shame the singer is now dead.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim Omohundro said:
You must be registered for see images attach

Damn you! I was going to use this album during my week! :D

This is a great album. I love Alice In Chains. I am still mad that I didn't get to see them perform live. The vocal harmonies that you mentioned are one of their greatest qualities. They just have a unique sound and I am drawn to it.

During my second year in college (1995), I was taking a Geology class. Our teacher was the coolest guy. We were studying rivers and he said that he would give one extra credit point for every song that had the word "river" in the lyrics. The only thing was that you had to put it on tape and play it for the class. I found 26 songs in my CD collection that contained the word "river" and the teacher was floored. Of course, I used Track #2 from Dirt - Damn That River and I also used The River of Deceit by Layne Staley's side project Mad Season.

:band:
Well, you still have "Face Lift" left to review (unless someone selects it before your week)! :D

I almost saw them in concert in 1996....AIC, Kiss, and Sponge had a concert at Tiger Stadium and I was about to purchase tickets, but of course they sold out quickly... I thought at time, oh well...there should be other opportunities to see them live, but obviously I predicted wrong. I believe it was months after they released "Self-Titled" and I don't recall if it was either before or after they did their "Unplugged" appearance....

Their sound is unique and I believe their main influence was Faith No More, since Staley's voice is quite similar to Mike Patton and Cantrell's guitar work matches Jim Martin's style to a certain extent....

Speaking of "River Of Deceit", that was probably my favorite Layne Staley composition.... The lyrics insightful and just impacting.... That album on a whole tend to wander at certain points, but it was interesting to listen to him w/out any constraints or to adhere to Cantrell....

I also loved the Class of '99 project and their rendition of "The Wall" off the
"Faculty" soundtrack. I often wonder if he would have done a complete album w/them or he would have returned back to AIC since I know Cantrell had an extensive "back-log" of songs he wanted to record.... Also, I remember that they were supposed to record a studio version of "Killer Is Me" and I wonder if they ever did....

I just have always loved their music...Always brings back some memories and how their lyrics impacted me at certain times in my life.....

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim Omohundro said:
I think that they would be in my top five as well. For some reason, I love the song Angry Chair. The vocal style in that song kicks ass!
How about the "Unplugged" version of "Angry Chair"? For some reason I felt they did an injustice on that one....

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
How about the "Unplugged" version of "Angry Chair"? For some reason I felt they did an injustice on that one....
The unplugged version of Down in a Hole was awesome....

Layne Staley played guitar during the unplugged version of Angry Chair....so he was probably high and sounded a little off :)

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Also the faster version of We Die Young on that box set thing they put out was awesome

Jim O

Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
The unplugged version of Down in a Hole was awesome....

Wasn't that the show where one of the guitars had "Friends don't let friends cut thier hair" written on it? If I remember correctly, it was a playful jab at Metallica right around the time where they hacked off their locks.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim Omohundro said:
Wasn't that the show where one of the guitars had "Friends don't let friends cut thier hair" written on it? If I remember correctly, it was a playful jab at Metallica right around the time where they hacked off their locks.
I wonder if that was Scott Olson who played back-up guitar on "Unplugged"....

Speaking of "Unplugged", I thought they actually performed "Brother" on there better than they did on "SAP".....

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll never forget my party experiences that somehow related to Alice-in-Chains...

At one party I was at, I had already been wasted for several hours and nearly everyone else had gone to bed.... I couldnt sleep, so I went into my friends basement and put on "Face Lift" and blasted the entire c.d. loud and ran around singing along to every single lyric.....

At another party, I was yet wasted again and was annoying everyone...We were partying outside in a secluded field with a bon-fire, so they decided to force me into a porta-potty.....They knocked it over and began rolling me around in it and for some odd reason the video to "Man In The Box" came to my mind, so I began singing the lyrics while they were in the process of rolling me around...It was so hilarious and unfortunately they never let it "die down".... Oh well...Fortunately now I'm more wiser! :D

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
I wonder if that was Scott Olson who played back-up guitar on "Unplugged"....

Speaking of "Unplugged", I thought they actually performed "Brother" on there better than they did on "SAP".....
No it was the bass player...I have the DVD :)

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
No it was the bass player...I have the DVD :)
Mike Inez! :D

I guess my memory is beginning to fail me.....:p

Who do you all think was a better bass player... Mike Starr or Mike Inez?

Jim O

Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
We were partying outside in a secluded field with a bon-fire

ALERT! That sounds like the start to every college story I have! :hairraise

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
Mike Inez! :D

Who do you all think was a better bass player... Mike Starr or Mike Inez?
Inez all the way baby!

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Inez all the way baby!
Agreed, especially during the beginning of "Rotten Apple".....

Going back to "Unplugged"....The one song they should have done was "Don't Follow", which was a major mistake since that's probably the best acoustic song they did.....

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Also I liked Inez' version of "Would" better :cheers:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jerry Cantrell was one of the most underrated guitarists of the grunge era...plus he could sing

I was hoping he would go solo and when he finally did it sort of fluddered and he went back to waiting for Layne to get his shhit together

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Jerry Cantrell was one of the most underrated guitarists of the grunge era...plus he could sing

I was hoping he would go solo and when he finally did it sort of fluddered and he went back to waiting for Layne to get his shhit together
I agree that "Boggy Depot" wasnt his best material, but he did make a solid comeback on "Degradation Trip"... "Anger Rising" could have easily gone onto
"Dirt" and I once had on Kazaa (but since deleted all of it) both volumes of that album (which contains 25 songs) and it was overwhelming how "spell-bounding" the 11 songs that werent released on the actual album were.... Obviously, having Faith No More's drummer, Mike Bodin, Mike Trujillo on bass, and some help from Queensryche Chris DeGarmo doesnt hurt matters any whatsoever...

And I do agree about Inez sounding better on "Would?"..... I wonder what him and Kinney are up to these days..... I still love that hidden track "Love Song" from SAP....Lord, that was hysterical!

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love this band and this album - although my favorite by them is Facelift, pretty much everything they've put out is top-notch. :thumbup:

Good pick man! :D

Shawn

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FischerKing said:
Love this band and this album - although my favorite by them is Facelift, pretty much everything they've put out is top-notch. :thumbup:

Good pick man! :D

Shawn
I honestly can't anything negative about "Face Lift" except that I can't tolerate the fact that they ended the album with "Real Thing"....Although hearing them end the song with someone coughing and Layne saying "sexual chocolate baby" is definitely classic..... But I do rank "Real Thing" with "Swing On This" and "Nothing Song" as their most substandard song....

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:

I think he is one of the most under-rated guitarists of any era...but certainly the grunge era. Once he hitched his wagon to the heroin express (Staley), he found it hard to break away on his own.

Damn shame...AIC put out some of the best music in that era.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn