Alan Branch movin forward.

OmeneX

\m/___\m/
Reaction score
So... let's just say Alan Branch continues his decent play this season. We resign him right? We gamble on a man who didn't do diddly till his paycheck source is just about to dry up unless he makes good on his draft pick *this year*.

Do we trust him and pony up the greenbacks and retain him, only to possibly have him fall back into his lame play and do nothing way that he's shown up as until this season?

Do we lay some serious clauses and escalators into his contract to give him motivation to continue to play to his current potential and beyond?

It strikes me odd that during his final contract year are we finally seeing some productivity out of the guy. Well actually, it doesn't seem weird that he is finally doing some good on the field now that he actually has to prove his worth or lose those dollars.

I say we should sign him again, but with some serious incentives packed into his new contract to give him that carrot on a stick that he seems to need in order to actually produce. He's earned that much begrudging respect out of me at the very least. I wouldn't trust him as it is right now to just hand him a decent sized contract and just expect him to produce because he wants to.

If not trade him away for a pittance, because I doubt any team is gonna pony up much for him as is. Though, he's young, has the size and natural talent to excel at his spot, and should be doing day in and day out.

What say you guys?

Last edited:
OP
OP
OmeneX

OmeneX

\m/___\m/
Reaction score
BTW. I beat the tar out of some Steelers fan today on Madden 10 online via Xbox Live. Sweet nightcap to go along with our W against Seattle today. Though he kept going for it on 4th down. Made him pay for it. Really gets my goose going when guys always "go" for it no matter the field position. He was a pretty good player besides that. Just sayin! :)

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to do anything with him. He's a RESTRICTED free agent so you tender him and move on.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I've never bought into the idea that guys step it up in their contract year anyway. I don't think that playing in the NFL is so simple that someone can do that.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
IIRC he is signed through next season so as of now we don't have to do anything

Correct, he is signed through 2010, so the only decision we need to make is if we pay him his roster bonus or not and if we gave him the roster bonus he was due this year I see no reason why they wouldnt after this season.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've never bought into the idea that guys step it up in their contract year anyway. I don't think that playing in the NFL is so simple that someone can do that.

I have seen "the light go on" in contract years for WAY too many guys, to agree with you on this one.

I'll even give them the benefit of the doubt on the learning curve, speed of the game etc... But it's fairly easy to tell when a guy is at half throttle or less motor wise for a few years, then see him play balls to the wall in contract years.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

Eric Green is the salient example of a player who did NOT step up and in fact played his way out of the league in his 'contract' year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I have seen "the light go on" in contract years for WAY too many guys, to agree with you on this one.

I'll even give them the benefit of the doubt on the learning curve, speed of the game etc... But it's fairly easy to tell when a guy is at half throttle or less motor wise for a few years, then see him play balls to the wall in contract years.

I haven't though you may have but I just don't believe that a guy can be worthless for 2-3-4 years and then suddenly become great just for one season to make money. The NFL is just too difficult in my opinion for that to happen.

I have seen guys turn it on later after getting cut and I've seen guys turn it off after getting a big contract but not suddenly come out of nowhere and sign a big deal and turn to nothing again. I don't recall any Cardinal players doing it. But that was most likely because, until recently, we never had any guys who were any good period.

Maybe it just seems that way because guys contract year is usually their 3,4,or 5th season when they begin to hit their prime.

I hear it applied to Dansberry all the time but I don't see any difference in his production from one season to the next. In fact in this contract year he looks to have dropped off some.

OP
OP
OmeneX

OmeneX

\m/___\m/
Reaction score
Man I don't know what I was thinking about Branch being on a contract year. At any rate, it has to be possible that some players must turn it on during a contract year. I wonder about Branch because he's doing much better now. At any rate will see about it later then.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Man I don't know what I was thinking about Branch being on a contract year. At any rate, it has to be possible that some players must turn it on during a contract year. I wonder about Branch because he's doing much better now. At any rate will see about it later then.

At least part of Branch's turn around has been due to having Davis become our DC. Davis recognized that Branch likes to play DE, and has allowed that into the mix. Branch has excelled there, and now seems more willing to put in the work to play the NOSE. He followed the coach's instructions about losing weight in the off season, and has been getting stronger with Lott's help in the weight room. I also believe that he is buying into what he has seen Robinson doing in the way of setting the example for other D-linemen to play. I feel this has helped the cohesion tremendously ALL along the D-line, and has gone a long way to getting guys like Branch to contribute. This is becoming fun for this unit, because their hard work is rewarded by success, and not nearly so drudgingly tough like it was under Pendy.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
At least part of Branch's turn around has been due to having Davis become our DC. Davis recognized that Branch likes to play DE, and has allowed that into the mix. Branch has excelled there, and now seems more willing to put in the work to play the NOSE. He followed the coach's instructions about losing weight in the off season, and has been getting stronger with Lott's help in the weight room. I also believe that he is buying into what he has seen Robinson doing in the way of setting the example for other D-linemen to play. I feel this has helped the cohesion tremendously ALL along the D-line, and has gone a long way to getting guys like Branch to contribute. This is becoming fun for this unit, because their hard work is rewarded by success, and not nearly so drudgingly tough like it was under Pendy.

The thing that has impressed me most about Branch is that when he hits people they go DOWN. If you still have the Houston game watch the series after the long punt return for a great example.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort