After Earth

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It came from Beaver's comment that he is going to pass on the movie simply because he heard it had Scientology themes.

But enough with this, I've hijacked this thread enough. I won't see the movie simply because I think M. Night stinks, and since I just got married 2 days ago, I don't need such a horrible downer. :)

Congratulations and best wishes.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as you are not a Heat lover, then you are not all that bad. ;)

only reason I like seeing the Heat win is because it makes all the Lakers fans MISERABLE. With the Suns being a joke, it's kinda the only victory I can enjoy living in Hell A.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Hmmm...

Christianity-Whether or not you're a believer, it's a religion based on events and people from over 2,000 years ago who's history is filled with both good and bad but for the most part who's message is somewhat a positive one and even though it's been used for nefarious purposes throughout history, a majority of it's followers use it's message to spread goodness and who's followers are the most charitable in the world.

Scientology-A movement created by a reclusive author who's followers consists mostly of a bunch of self centered Hollywood actors.

Yeah, they're the same. :rolleyes:

I'm tired of getting Judaism getting pushed on me with films like Yentl, and Fiddler on the Roof...or anything with Jackie Mason in it. :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of getting Judaism getting pushed on me with films like Yentl, and Fiddler on the Roof...or anything with Jackie Mason in it. :D

agreed. as if Caddyshack 2 wasn't offensive enough, it tried to make us all Jewish too!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

agreed. as if Caddyshack 2 wasn't offensive enough, it tried to make us all Jewish too!

Jackie Mason is Jewish? A big star like Jackie, I'm surprised he didn't make it into The Hanukkah Song. And how come no one rips Adam Sandler for making a lot of people convert?

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jackie Mason is Jewish? A big star like Jackie, I'm surprised he didn't make it into The Hanukkah Song. And how come no one rips Adam Sandler for making a lot of people convert?

Steve

I think most Jews disowned Jackie after he tried to step into Rodney's golf spikes in Caddy 2. I know this one sure as hell did!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most Jews disowned Jackie after he tried to step into Rodney's golf spikes in Caddy 2. I know this one sure as hell did!

To be fair to Jackie, no one could have measured up to Rodney and I'm not even sure Mr Dangerfield could have saved that piece of crap.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boo! Caddyshack II is brilliant!

Of course, I'm not Jewish, so...

;)

Brilliant? I'm just going to assume you got your hands on the actual film, doused it with gasoline and set it on fire.;)

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Brilliant? I'm just going to assume you got your hands on the actual film, doused it with gasoline and set it on fire.;)

Steve

First of all, I KNOW it's a bad, bad movie. Second of all, it's a semi-guilty pleasure of mine for the really stupid one-liners.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, I KNOW it's a bad, bad movie. Second of all, it's a semi-guilty pleasure of mine for the really stupid one-liners.

man, I love me some awful movies a plenty, but that movie makes me sick every time i watch every second of it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can see that. Johnny Dangerously fills that void for me.

Steve

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The years hadn't softened Moronie. He continued to murder the English Language, and anyone who got in his way.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This thread is on one some really mangled tracks!

I have not seen a movie get eviscerated like this in a while. I enjoy reading reviews for a bad movie and some really creative work has been put into tearing this film apart.

Will Smith's character is named "Cypher Raige", its roughly 1000 years in the future and in that relatively brief time animal kind has evolved in crazy ways AND is specifically evolved to kill humans, even though humans abandoned the planet because we'd destroyed the environment.

I think I might have to watch this when it ends up on Netflix or HBO, I really enjoy a truly terrible movie. I recently watched Lockout (or Lockdown? whatever the "space prison" movie was that came out last year), and it was one of the most unintentionally hilarious films I had seen in years, I dont know if I've ever seen something with more plot holes. I hope this lives up to that kind of awfulness. My only fear is Shyamalan's last dud (Last Airbender) I saw was beyond the "funny" level of awful and instead was just sad, I couldnt finish it, too painful.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently watched Lockout (or Lockdown? whatever the "space prison" movie was that came out last year), and it was one of the most unintentionally hilarious films I had seen in years, I dont know if I've ever seen something with more plot holes. I hope this lives up to that kind of awfulness.

Best part of Lockout for me was seeing some actors from some BBC shows I like getting screen time. Vincent Regan was on Hit & Miss and Strike Back. Joseph Gilgun is Rudy on Misfits.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is on one some really mangled tracks!

I have not seen a movie get eviscerated like this in a while. I enjoy reading reviews for a bad movie and some really creative work has been put into tearing this film apart.

Will Smith's character is named "Cypher Raige", its roughly 1000 years in the future and in that relatively brief time animal kind has evolved in crazy ways AND is specifically evolved to kill humans, even though humans abandoned the planet because we'd destroyed the environment.

I think I might have to watch this when it ends up on Netflix or HBO, I really enjoy a truly terrible movie. I recently watched Lockout (or Lockdown? whatever the "space prison" movie was that came out last year), and it was one of the most unintentionally hilarious films I had seen in years, I dont know if I've ever seen something with more plot holes. I hope this lives up to that kind of awfulness. My only fear is Shyamalan's last dud (Last Airbender) I saw was beyond the "funny" level of awful and instead was just sad, I couldnt finish it, too painful.

Lockout is like watching an 80's Golan-Globus movie. I doubt that After Earth is technically as bad as Lockout was. But, I also doubt it will be as entertaining as Lockout was. Huge differences in expectations between the two movies so it's natural that Will Smith's movie is being treated differently. Also, I'm sure much of the backlash is because his kid is being thrust upon us as a star but he lacks any real star qualities. None of us like obvious nepotism unless we're on the receiving end of it.

Steve

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After Earth

Release Date: May 31, 2013
Studio: Columbia Pictures (Sony)
Director: M. Night Shyamalan
Screenwriter: Gary Whitta, M. Night Shyamalan
Genre: Sci-Fi
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sci-fi action violence and some disturbing images)

Starring: Will Smith, Jaden Smith

Plot Summary: A crash landing leaves teenager Kitai Raige (Jaden Smith) and his legendary father Cypher (Will Smith) stranded on Earth, 1,000 years after cataclysmic events forced humanity’s escape. With Cypher critically injured, Kitai must embark on a perilous journey to signal for help, facing uncharted terrain, evolved animal species that now rule the planet, and an unstoppable alien creature that escaped during the crash. Father and son must learn to work together and trust one another if they want any chance of returning home.

You must be registered for see images attach
[/URL]

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lockout is like watching an 80's Golan-Globus movie. I doubt that After Earth is technically as bad as Lockout was. But, I also doubt it will be as entertaining as Lockout was. Huge differences in expectations between the two movies so it's natural that Will Smith's movie is being treated differently. Also, I'm sure much of the backlash is because his kid is being thrust upon us as a star but he lacks any real star qualities. None of us like obvious nepotism unless we're on the receiving end of it.

Steve

Of the countless plot holes and moments of utter-nonsense in Lockout, my personal favorite is the trip to the "gravity generator" inside the space prison. As he attempts to cross the shaft he floats but then it gets shut "off" and he ends up in free fall... when its turned back on he resumes weightlessness... how does that one slip by the writers... director... actors...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison