After Earth

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is anyone on this board able to say if it is good or bad? It hasn't even come out yet..

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the movie is a complete bait and switch. Jaden's the star, not Will and that is one of the main reasons it will likely suck...well, that and it's being directed by M. Night, which pretty much makes it a shoe-in to be awful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it. It was pretty freaking bad. All the guys on my squad 8 of us each thought it was terrible and a total waste of $$..Although Will Smith does have a bigger part then I thought he would after reading Chaps comments.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
When Shane says a movie sucks, it must really suck!

:D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Load of crap, but believe what you want.

I'm just about the last person to spot hidden meanings whether it's in literature or film so I doubt I'll ever notice a connection assuming I get desperate enough to actually watch this movie. But, for whatever it's worth, Beaver is correct. There are a lot of critics that suggest/insist there are Scientology themes. Maybe they are all wrong, it wouldn't be the first time but often as not - where there is smoke there is fire.

Steve

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Fear and not letting fear get a hold of you. Yeah, that's a theme of Scientology. That is from an article on it. Give me a break. If you believe that, you deserve to see a crappy M. night movie, Scientology or not.

Even if this did have those "overtones," there are far more films with Christian overtones but I don't see the bigots going off about those.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
people also said my name is early had scientology overtones, I didnt catch em and loved the show.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fear and not letting fear get a hold of you. Yeah, that's a theme of Scientology. That is from an article on it. Give me a break. If you believe that, you deserve to see a crappy M. night movie, Scientology or not.

Even if this did have those "overtones," there are far more films with Christian overtones but I don't see the bigots going off about those.

Bigots? I don't think anyone is saying that After Earth is a secret attempt by Will Smith to convert us all to Scientology nor have I read a review that suggested we should avoid the film because of it's undertones. The connection is noted, not decried. We're warned away from the movie because the movie isn't worth viewing not because of it's relationship to a "religion". And BTW, critics often point out when a film has a hidden Christian message.

Steve

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hmmm...

Christianity-Whether or not you're a believer, it's a religion based on events and people from over 2,000 years ago who's history is filled with both good and bad but for the most part who's message is somewhat a positive one and even though it's been used for nefarious purposes throughout history, a majority of it's followers use it's message to spread goodness and who's followers are the most charitable in the world.

Scientology-A movement created by a reclusive author who's followers consists mostly of a bunch of self centered Hollywood actors.

Yeah, they're the same. :rolleyes:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

:shrug: :D

:kalifornia:

My new keyboard is very quiet - its awesome for typing while talking to a client. However, somehow, I hit lots of extra buttons now. I almost feel like its a laptop keyboard.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

why are people "bigots" simply for saying a movie has Scientology overtones? Is simply saying something is influenced by Scientology a bigoted comment? I don't get the anger coming from you here.

most people talked about The Matrix movies or the Narnia as being heavily influenced by Christianity. I don't think any of those discussions were bigotted. They were just discussion of themes...much like the discussions around this movie are. Did you think those comments about that movie were bigotted?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hmmm...

Christianity-Whether or not you're a believer, it's a religion based on events and people from over 2,000 years ago who's history is filled with both good and bad but for the most part who's message is somewhat a positive one and even though it's been used for nefarious purposes throughout history, a majority of it's followers use it's message to spread goodness and who's followers are the most charitable in the world.

Yeah, after 2000 years of war, destruction, and persecution, I'm so glad we practice such tolerance of all religions. Oh. Wait.

People tend to decry things they don't understand, although the reality is much different than the fantasy that is spewed about the religion. Especially since it doesn't blow themselves up simply because you don't believe what they believe.

Scientology-A movement created by a reclusive author who's followers consists mostly of a bunch of self centered Hollywood actors.

Not true. Sure, a lot of Hollywood types follow it, but so what? And just to let you know that "reclusive author" wasn't even an author yet when he started researching.

There are more things that you know with "Scientology" themes, and I guarantee you know at least one and you don't even know it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, after 2000 years of war, destruction, and persecution, I'm so glad we practice such tolerance of all religions. Oh. Wait.

People tend to decry things they don't understand, although the reality is much different than the fantasy that is spewed about the religion. Especially since it doesn't blow themselves up simply because you don't believe what they believe.

Not true. Sure, a lot of Hollywood types follow it, but so what? And just to let you know that "reclusive author" wasn't even an author yet when he started researching.

There are more things that you know with "Scientology" themes, and I guarantee you know at least one and you don't even know it.

i understand you getting defensive at the statement that NJCard made about Scientology, but I still don't understand the statement that simply saying the movie is influenced by Scientology is bigotted. Where did that come from?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
i understand you getting defensive at the statement that NJCard made about Scientology, but I still don't understand the statement that simply saying the movie is influenced by Scientology is bigotted. Where did that come from?

It came from Beaver's comment that he is going to pass on the movie simply because he heard it had Scientology themes.

But enough with this, I've hijacked this thread enough. I won't see the movie simply because I think M. Night stinks, and since I just got married 2 days ago, I don't need such a horrible downer. :)

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It came from Beaver's comment that he is going to pass on the movie simply because he heard it had Scientology themes.

But enough with this, I've hijacked this thread enough. I won't see the movie simply because I think M. Night stinks, and since I just got married 2 days ago, I don't need such a horrible downer. :)

Hey, at least you made the thread more entertaining than the movie.