A New Angle on Drafting Williams

Wildfire

Registered
Reaction score
Numerous sports media types here in Dallas are reporting that the cowboys had Williams as their 2nd round pick and were very upset when the Cardinals took him ahead of them.

Seem like the Cardinals weren't they only team high on him and we may have just screwed the boys, only time will tell.:cheers:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
That makes sense with them drafting Demarco Murray not long after.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
meh just not sold on another slow rb... I bet he is trade bait for one of the qb's we are intrested in but we shall see.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Emmitt ran slower than Williams as have many other RBs.

I was just laughing thinking about how often posts like this get this response:

"Williams only played one full year of college football and you're comparing him to Emmitt Smith?"

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just laughing thinking about how often posts like this get this response:

"Williams only played one full year of college football and you're comparing him to Emmitt Smith?"
Just comparing 40 times.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just comparing 40 times.

Obviously.

It's just funny how many times people will respond to any post that includes a player and some really great player comparing size or speed or whatever saying something similar to what I had in quotes.

For example:

Post 1: "Greg Tolar wears a size 10 shoe just like Aeneas Williams"

reply: "You're comparing Greg Tolar to AWilliams? Really?"

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously.

It's just funny how many times people will respond to any post that includes a player and some really great player comparing size or speed or whatever saying something similar to what I had in quotes.

For example:

Post 1: "Greg Tolar wears a size 10 shoe just like Aeneas Williams"

reply: "You're comparing Greg Tolar to AWilliams? Really?"
Oh yes. Sorry. Good point. :)

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Numerous sports media types here in Dallas are reporting that the cowboys had Williams as their 2nd round pick and were very upset when the Cardinals took him ahead of them.

Seem like the Cardinals weren't they only team high on him and we may have just screwed the boys, only time will tell.:cheers:

They must not have wanted him that bad, because they could have traded up.

Must have thought we were going for Brooks Reed. :p

They still could have taken LeShoure.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They still could have taken LeShoure.
That's just another vote of confidence for this pick. They wanted Williams--not just the highest rated back on the board. Because they didn't take LeShoure or another back at that pick their board must have had a significant difference between the two.

:raccoon:

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
He doesn't look slow to me either, at least not through the hole.
Although he does get caught from behind fairly often.
It would be intereseting to see his 10 yard time compared to other RB's.
That dude changes direction and gets back up to speed quickly.

Unfortunately, with that accelartion he sometimes loses the ball....or pulls a hammy.

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like him. Met him in person once and my younger brother is good friends with Ryan Williams' best friend from high school. They went to the high school in the next town over here in northern VA.

He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and one thing that stood out to me is that he is very humble and down to earth.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've read/heard several pundits say they had him ranked as the #1 RB in the draft or 1B. The negative is that he runs too hard. I'll take that and the fact that he will play hurt and still be effective. Coaches had to drag him off the field, sounds Cards tough to me.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read/heard several pundits say they had him ranked as the #1 RB in the draft or 1B. The negative is that he runs too hard. I'll take that and the fact that he will play hurt and still be effective. Coaches had to drag him off the field, sounds Cards tough to me.
Sounds tougher than "Cards tough"

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're not really suggesting we deliberately drafted Williams in order to screw the 'Pukes (I'm assuming you're just happy that things worked out that way).

Regarding the comparison to Frank Gore, it's strictly my impression, but (despite has actual playing weight - 216 lbs?) he looks smaller than Gore and not as tough between the tackles, but at the same time, faster, nimbler and more explosive.

The one thing that makes me nervous about the pick (a bit risky at #38) is his injury-history