2nd Half of the Season?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you realistically hope to see in the second half of the season?

For me, I'm hoping to see Len, Warren and Chriss all play close to 30 minutes a game and I'd also like to see legit backup roles for Ulis, Jones, Williams and even Bender if his recovery progresses well enough. I know Jones isn't ready for rotation minutes (understatement) but neither was Chriss when summer league started and he's advanced fairly well from there.

Obviously, the best way to facilitate these rotations is to move Tucker and Chandler even if Ryan has to bite the bullet and accept less than the first round pick(s) he was looking for. We'd probably need to either trade Bledsoe or bench Knight too.

Trading Eric over the next week is a long shot so benching Knight might be the only way to get Ulis his minutes. One way or the other it needs to happen though. We always talk about BPA and it's the only way to go in the NBA but it's really more fiction than reality when you get down to it. So knowing exactly what holes you need to fill becomes critical come draft day, especially when you're expecting to see a fairly high draft pick.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Its going to be interesting to see how active McD gets this next week. Nothing appears to be in the works but he always keeps his cards close to his chest. He'll deal Knight in any circumstance where the Suns get off the hook for his salary... probably even half his salary. Barbs and Duds for a decent second round pick and Tucker a first, any first. I imagine he'll keep Chandler because its nice to have a player that really wants to be here. I think he'd deal for anyone that can be called a star... maybe Drummond.

Unless he's under orders to play youth I expect Watson will continue to do what he thinks is best for Watson, which is win as many games as possible. He may up Ulis' minutes because he thinks he helps the team more than Knight. He'll keep Bled on the floor as much as possible regardless of the risk of injury, like he's done so far. Maybe Len gets a few more minutes because he's playing a little better of late. Basically, more of the same.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its going to be interesting to see how active McD gets this next week. Nothing appears to be in the works but he always keeps his cards close to his chest. He'll deal Knight in any circumstance where the Suns get off the hook for his salary... probably even half his salary. Barbs and Duds for a decent second round pick and Tucker a first, any first. I imagine he'll keep Chandler because its nice to have a player that really wants to be here. I think he'd deal for anyone that can be called a star... maybe Drummond.

Unless he's under orders to play youth I expect Watson will continue to do what he thinks is best for Watson, which is win as many games as possible. He may up Ulis' minutes because he thinks he helps the team more than Knight. He'll keep Bled on the floor as much as possible regardless of the risk of injury, like he's done so far. Maybe Len gets a few more minutes because he's playing a little better of late. Basically, more of the same.

I don't think getting rid of Knight's salary will be a consideration at all this season. We're under the floor so we'll have to pay it out regardless and it's not likely we'll need the cap room anytime soon.

I do think there's a good chance we'll make a play for Drummond but I'm sure Detroit is looking for a big return if they deal him. I don't know if Len, Knight, Chriss (or Bender if they'll take an injured player) and a Miami pick would work for Drummond and Johnson but I'd give it a try. I'd even give up both Miami picks although I suspect this season's pick will be necessary.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I doubt McD is stupid enough to make such a massive overpayment for Drummond.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or insane...

It's all in the wording AFAIC. If someone says to me "I think that's a stupid idea" or "I think that's an insane plan", I'm okay with that. Although there really isn't a huge difference, personally, I'm less thrilled when someone says "only an idiot would agree with that" or "maybe a complete fool would do something like that but no one else would". Let's face it, we all come up with stupid ideas now and then.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
ok what I am trying to say is why would McDonough give up so much for a player that contributes nothing except rebounding and garbage scoring?

Drummond is a bad offensive player, an average defensive player and a great rebounder.
He does not block shots and does not defend at the rim well.
Along with that he is a disaster from the freethrow line and can't play in crunch time because of that.

In addition to all that he seems to lack motivation and drive. Zach Lowe wrote a pretty damning assessment of Drummond and why the Pistons are actually shopping him.

Drummond is basically DeAndre Jordan with much worse defense.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok what I am trying to say is why would McDonough give up so much for a player that contributes nothing except rebounding and garbage scoring?

Drummond is a bad offensive player, an average defensive player and a great rebounder.
He does not block shots and does not defend at the rim well.
Along with that he is a disaster from the freethrow line and can't play in crunch time because of that.

In addition to all that he seems to lack motivation and drive. Zach Lowe wrote a pretty damning assessment of Drummond and why the Pistons are actually shopping him.

Drummond is basically DeAndre Jordan with much worse defense.

How is it garbage scoring?

Before Stan took over Drummond was a dominant offensive weapon, now he's just average but he's never been "a bad offensive player". Even with his horrible free throw percentage, the season prior to SVG he had a TS% of .599.

He shot 62% from the field the season before Gundy and 51% the season his new coach took over. Van Gundy turns a lot of his players into neurotics. Maybe this is the exception and Drummond is just weak upstairs but Stan has a track record that suggests otherwise.

Andre's free throw problems are a very real concern but pre-Gundy he was looking like one of the best offensive threats in the game. Unless we doubt he can get back to that level, the kind of offer I suggested is justifiable.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
garbage scoring as in putbacks

he is not a post-up presence and can't hit a jumper.

I would be ok with acquiring him but not at a price that is reserved for allstars. Drummond is only an allstar by virtue in my opinion.

If it took only Knight, Len, Warren, Tucker, Dudley ok.. anything else no, no Chriss/Bender or potential lottery pick except maybe the lightly protected Miami pick.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's all in the wording AFAIC. If someone says to me "I think that's a stupid idea" or "I think that's an insane plan", I'm okay with that. Although there really isn't a huge difference, personally, I'm less thrilled when someone says "only an idiot would agree with that" or "maybe a complete fool would do something like that but no one else would". Let's face it, we all come up with stupid ideas now and then.
Quite right! There is a saying to support that. "Attack problems (or ideas), not people." But, realistically, we've all dealt with people who believe that attacking a person's character will win a debate. It is shortsighted.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard