2024 Texans pick watch thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Granted a lot of them are QBs, but a top 3 pick is also by no means a generational talent or even a sure thing each year. There have been plenty of OL, DL, and receivers that have been surpassed by those drafted below them, as seen with some of K9s examples. Some of that is players going into a better siutation with a better team, but some of it is also trusting your scouting to know who the best option is even if they don't have the flashiest combine numbers or are the sudden riser on draft boards.
I always found these types of arguments hollow. Something tells me if you did a pick by pick analysis, that on average the higher the individual pick the greater the likelihood of a better player. Can you randomly find talent elsewhere? Of course, but I’ll bet the odds decrease exponentially the further away from the #1 pick you get.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What other three consecutive slots produced 6 or more on that list?

Comparing the production of 30 slots with the production of 2,170 slots is kinda rigging the game, no?
It's not my argument. I'm refuting someone else's. I'm not panicked that we might end up with the fifth pick but not the second.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is no way the Cardinals stay at #1 if they decide to keep Kyler Murray. Th question is if they would prioritize picks or players in the trade back.
Only thing is I dont see a scenario where they keep Murray if they have the #1 pick.

Bears situation last year was unique cause Fields was just in his 2nd year and showed a few flashes.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Only thing is I dont see a scenario where they keep Murray if they have the #1 pick.
Eh let's say Murray averages two TD passes per game over the games he plays, and despite that, the defense continues to suck.
Bears situation last year was unique cause Fields was just in his 2nd year and showed a flew flashes.
Fields looked like a guy that might develop. Young has done nothing to dispell that the Bears were wrong. I still think Maye and to a lesser extent, Williams are way better prospect than last year's QBs. I still have my doubts on whether Stroud will be a top QB.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The current draft order, and obviously it won't stay this way, would be the worst case scenario for the Cards. They could probably grab a haul for the #1 pick from the Giants but then you're going to 4th and not getting Marvin.

And, the Cards would have to make a trade if Kyler is their guy and they're drafting #1. Make no mistake, Harrison is far and away the best player coming into the draft but you can't pass up on all that draft capital from a QB needy team to take Harrison.
You absolutely stay put and take the franchise-changing player rather than chasing picks\. Don't make me get a Cap Space jersey AND a Draft Picks jersey!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You absolutely stay put and take the franchise-changing player rather than chasing picks\. Don't make me get a Cap Space jersey AND a Draft Picks jersey!
Unfortunately you can't pass on 3+ 1st round picks for MHJ. I hate it, but it is 100% the right move. Even moreso if you can get a quality player as well.

If I am trading back with the Giants, I am 100% demanding Dexter Lawrence.

Stout

Reaction score
Unfortunately you can't pass on 3+ 1st round picks for MHJ. I hate it, but it is 100% the right move. Even moreso if you can get a quality player as well.

If I am trading back with the Giants, I am 100% demanding Dexter Lawrence.
There's no guarantee that those will be high picks, and there's no guarantee they'll be good picks. If you think MHJ is really THAT good, you absolutely can pass on 3+ 1st rounders.

Edit: I'm absolutely sick and tired of our lack of explosive playmakers on this team. We don't have one beyond KM, really, and he's only sometimes and kinda and might not be a good enough QB. Give me the damned "guaranteed" guy. Soapbox rant done lol

netsnjkidd

Veteran
Reaction score
There's no guarantee that those will be high picks, and there's no guarantee they'll be good picks. If you think MHJ is really THAT good, you absolutely can pass on 3+ 1st rounders.

Edit: I'm absolutely sick and tired of our lack of explosive playmakers on this team. We don't have one beyond KM, really, and he's only sometimes and kinda and might not be a good enough QB. Give me the damned "guaranteed" guy. Soapbox rant done lol
To that point we are the only ones in our division without skill position explosive playmaker.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I disagree. Kyler was a pro bowl QB. You could get 3x1st rounders for that pick. If Kyler fails. There are plenty of picks to trade up the year after.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

But there are no garantees with any quarterback propect either...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ain’t no such thing as a “guarantee”. Not even MHJ & I love MHJ.

Remember when a certain “Swiss-knife” top 10 pick was a guarantee to a lot of people on here?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Yeah, Love me some MHJ...dude will get us back to going to the playoffs every year like Larry did....
oh.....wait.....

nah dude... if we are any earlier than pick 3 we aint getting Jr...because Monti will trade the pick to a team wanting a QB...and its the right thing to do.
if we get a 2024 first and 2nd...a 2025 first and a 2026 first.... who can say that 2026 draft wont have the next Jerry Rice or Julio,, no way to know right now... but guaranteed there will be somebody there that everyone in the sports world is hyping as the next GOAT....thats why I want us to end the season on pick 3...so we can get Marvin

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if we are any earlier than pick 3 we aint getting Jr...because Monti will trade the pick to a team wanting a QB...and its the right thing to do.
if we get a 2024 first and 2nd...a 2025 first and a 2026 first....
That's not necessarily true even if Ossenfort thinks exactly as you do.

For example, if the Cardinals have one of the top two picks and the team with the 3rd pick needs a QB, the Cards can reap a nice bounty that includes the 2024 #3, with which they can draft Harrison Jr.

Stout

Reaction score
Ain’t no such thing as a “guarantee”. Not even MHJ & I love MHJ.

Remember when a certain “Swiss-knife” top 10 pick was a guarantee to a lot of people on here?
Sure, and that's apples to oranges. MHJ is a premium position, by your logic, so what's your point here?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
For all of yinz clamoring for a trade back rather than taking MHJ, if we get the #1 pick, I will mock those that later whine we don't have an impact WR mercilessly no matter how many bans I get :D
lol... dude... I would certainly select Marvin at number 1... but I just dont believe Monti will

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure, and that's apples to oranges. MHJ is a premium position, by your logic, so what's your point here?
You literally just said MHJ was a guarantee while mocking that those picks are far from guarantees………

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That word doesn't mean what you think it means.
I guess your entire statement didn’t either in that case then?

Thought you would’ve learned your lesson about the whole Isaiah Simmons’ fiasco, but I guess not?

Stout

Reaction score
I guess your entire statement didn’t either in that case then?

Thought you would’ve learned your lesson about the whole Isaiah Simmons’ fiasco, but I guess not?
I didn't literally claim anybody was sure fire in this thread. Also, you trying to compare Simmons to MHJ as prospects to somehow "discredit" me is cringe.