2024 Texans pick watch thread

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Carolina wins and Texans lose...

Tier 1:
Panthers (Playing better, but still bad)
Cardinals (Looks like a lock for this tier - pre Murray)
Giants (Looks like a lock for this tier with now both Taylor and Jones injured)
Bears (Better than the rest of the group if Fields plays better - that is a big if)

Tier 2:
Vikings (Back here with Cousins possible out for season)
Packers (they look like a mess at the moment)
Patriots (I cannot believe a Belichick team is in this tier. I think they are better than this, but still not good. Will draft 8-12 IMO)

Tier 3:
Broncos (Shows sign of life)
Raiders (Between bad and lower middle team)
Texans (Been playing over expectations. Looked bad this week. Was that the norm or an outlier? I'm thinking more norm)
Colts (Mishew can only take the team so far)
Rams (Stafford maybe out)

My original guess was #3 & #9. Current draft picks - #1 &#11

Current draft order
You must be registered for see images attach

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Once again now that as of today we have #1 pick why are we brining back Kyler? Why miss out on a generational talent in MHJ or at least have the ability to take a QB if needed.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Once again now that as of today we have #1 pick why are we brining back Kyler? Why miss out on a generational talent in MHJ or at least have the ability to take a QB if needed.
Because there’s a non-zero chance that Kyler is (1) a kind of sociopath who can do all the right things when nothing is expected of him and will turn into the same sour douche we’ve come do debate as soon as Trey McBride drops a pass on third and six or (2) the capable of consistently being the electric passer and runner we’ve seen in fits and starts over the first four years of his career.

The coaching staff has to find out whether these edge outcomes are true (and where the reality is) before deciding to move on or double down.

There isn’t much difference between the 2nd and 5th pick when it comes down to it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Carolina wins and Texans lose...

Tier 1:
Panthers (Playing better, but still bad)
Cardinals (Looks like a lock for this tier - pre Murray)
Giants (Looks like a lock for this tier with now both Taylor and Jones injured)
Bears (Better than the rest of the group if Fields plays better - that is a big if)

Tier 2:
Vikings (Back here with Cousins possible out for season)
Packers (they look like a mess at the moment)
Patriots (I cannot believe a Belichick team is in this tier. I think they are better than this, but still not good. Will draft 8-12 IMO)

Tier 3:
Broncos (Shows sign of life)
Raiders (Between bad and lower middle team)
Texans (Been playing over expectations. Looked bad this week. Was that the norm or an outlier? I'm thinking more norm)
Colts (Mishew can only take the team so far)
Rams (Stafford maybe out)

My original guess was #3 & #9. Current draft picks - #1 &#11

Current draft order
You must be registered for see images attach
Trading back looks a little different in this draft order.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Because there’s a non-zero chance that Kyler is (1) a kind of sociopath who can do all the right things when nothing is expected of him and will turn into the same sour douche we’ve come do debate as soon as Trey McBride drops a pass on third and six or (2) the capable of consistently being the electric passer and runner we’ve seen in fits and starts over the first four years of his career.

The coaching staff has to find out whether these edge outcomes are true (and where the reality is) before deciding to move on or double down.

There isn’t much difference between the 2nd and 5th pick when it comes down to it.
There’s a big difference IMO between guys like Williams, Maye, MHJ and guys like Ott, McCarthy and Odunze. We need a top 3 pick to get a generational talent.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The current draft order, and obviously it won't stay this way, would be the worst case scenario for the Cards. They could probably grab a haul for the #1 pick from the Giants but then you're going to 4th and not getting Marvin.

And, the Cards would have to make a trade if Kyler is their guy and they're drafting #1. Make no mistake, Harrison is far and away the best player coming into the draft but you can't pass up on all that draft capital from a QB needy team to take Harrison.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The current draft order, and obviously it won't stay this way, would be the worst case scenario for the Cards. They could probably grab a haul for the #1 pick from the Giants but then you're going to 4th and not getting Marvin.

And, the Cards would have to make a trade if Kyler is their guy and they're drafting #1. Make no mistake, Harrison is far and away the best player coming into the draft but you can't pass up on all that draft capital from a QB needy team to take Harrison.
It sucks but I agree.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There’s a big difference IMO between guys like Williams, Maye, MHJ and guys like Ott, McCarthy and Odunze. We need a top 3 pick to get a generational talent.

Do we though?

JJ Watt - 11th overall
Aaron Donald - 13th overall
Justin Jefferson - 22nd overall
Cooper Kupp - 69th overall (nice)
T.J. Watt - 30th overall
Stephon Gilmore - 10th overall

Those are the last few Defensive and Offensive players of the year. Only Bosa was a Top 3 pick among those.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Do we though?

JJ Watt - 11th overall
Aaron Donald - 13th overall
Justin Jefferson - 22nd overall
Cooper Kupp - 69th overall (nice)
T.J. Watt - 30th overall
Stephon Gilmore - 10th overall

Those are the last few Defensive and Offensive players of the year. Only Bosa was a Top 3 pick among those.
Those may be great players but none of those players are crucial to their team winning. Even Donald and Kupp needed Stafford to win. Also counting Kupp doesnt make sense that’s a lucky hit round 3 and later are all dice rolls. That would be like saying well you can take a QB in the 6th round and win a Super Bowl just look at Brady.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Those may be great players but none of those players are crucial to their team winning. Even Donald and Kupp needed Stafford to win. Also counting Kupp doesnt make sense that’s a lucky hit round 3 and later are all dice rolls. That would be like saying well you can take a QB in the 6th round and win a Super Bowl just look at Brady.
But you can. Scouting is important. As is coaching.
With lots of these guys the biggest difference in their careers is that a 2nd round pick gets more chances than a 6th round pick.
Late round guys don't get the opportunity to adjust to nfl life. They have to kick it into balls out busting your ass mode immediately or their chance is gone.

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Granted a lot of them are QBs, but a top 3 pick is also by no means a generational talent or even a sure thing each year. There have been plenty of OL, DL, and receivers that have been surpassed by those drafted below them, as seen with some of K9s examples. Some of that is players going into a better siutation with a better team, but some of it is also trusting your scouting to know who the best option is even if they don't have the flashiest combine numbers or are the sudden riser on draft boards.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I would take the Penn state monster at 4 in a trade back if possible. Heck I would take him over Marvin who is a stud but I just couldn’t resist pairing up him with Paris. Then get a wr with the other first rounder. Go get a corner in the second round and chase young in free agency and let’s go cards!

Strongstyle

Rookie
Reaction score
The current staff absolutely have to see what they have with Kyler. They have to decide if they're keeping him or not. You have to play him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If you're Anybody but Kyler you should just say that.

I listed the last handful of defensive and offensive players of the year -- the most impactful players on each side of the ball.

If the only thing that matters to you is winning the super bowl, it's even funnier to discount Tom Brady, since he's dominated the Super Bowl conversation for so long.

Even among the QBs, Mahomes wasn't chosen in the top 3, and neither was Lamar Jackson. You have to go back to 2016 and Matt Ryan to find an MVP who was chosen in the top 3, and I don't think anyone considers him a generational talent.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Granted a lot of them are QBs, but a top 3 pick is also by no means a generational talent or even a sure thing each year. There have been plenty of OL, DL, and receivers that have been surpassed by those drafted below them, as seen with some of K9s examples. Some of that is players going into a better siutation with a better team, but some of it is also trusting your scouting to know who the best option is even if they don't have the flashiest combine numbers or are the sudden riser on draft boards.
In the last 22 years here are some of the best WR to ever do it

1) Fitz drafted 3rd
2) Megatron drafted 2nd
3) Andre Johnson drafted 3rd
4) Julio drafted 6th
5) ja’marr chase drafted 5th
6) AJ Green drafted 4th

Yes you can find great players later in the draft 100%,generational talent comes from the top.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If we end up with pick 1 or 2 and don't need a QB you can bet your house Monti will trade the pick.
Imo our best case scenario is for Kyler to work out and we get pick 3.... that's the spot for the best non QB.
Monti might still trade 3 if he only has to move a couple slots.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
In the last 22 years here are some of the best WR to ever do it

1) Fitz drafted 3rd
2) Megatron drafted 2nd
3) Andre Johnson drafted 3rd
4) Julio drafted 6th
5) ja’marr chase drafted 5th
6) AJ Green drafted 4th

Yes you can find great players later in the draft 100%,generational talent comes from the top.
What is this based on? Why is 22 years important? "Best WRs ever" according to whom?

As important: How many super bowls did those guys win when you add them together?

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I want to keep Murray and get 3 first round picks for that number 1 pick. That’s why for me it’s gonna suck to see Murray knock us out of the top 10 when we could of really set this roster up with Murray and some cheap studs. I get that fans want to see him play and evaluate him but my fear is Murray will play well enough to hurt our draft then turn around and get hurt again so then no Caleb no 3 first rounders and then we all upset cuz we ain’t got no hope

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
looking forward to draft time ( for a number of reasons...)

and seeing MHJ vs the no 2 rated WR and how much of a perceived edge there is

because if the choice is MHJ at #1 overall vs no MHJ at #4 overall + #36 + #70 + 2025 #1 --i am voting for the trade down

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
looking forward to draft time ( for a number of reasons...)

and seeing MHJ vs the no 2 rated WR and how much of a perceived edge there is

because if the choice is MHJ at #1 overall vs no MHJ at #4 overall + #36 + #70 + 2025 #1 --i am voting for the trade down
I would too. Then take Fashanu at 4 and know our bookends are in place for a decade... hopefully get Newton with the Texans pick...and a big WR at pick 33

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort