2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We should all know using a 1st on a Guard is bad business.

Even Rodney Hudson wasn’t a first round.
Again. I wanted us to draft Creed Humphrey regardless of trading for Rodney Hudson. Suggested moving him to guard until Hudson moves on.

Fro has been solid but if JPJ is another eventual elite center then we're making the exact same mistake again.

I feel like its deja vu all over again. Maybe Fro can figure out guard later on.

As I've said though thats if none of the higher graded OT's are available. Not reaching for a OT who might be a guard anyway in Jordan Morgan or DT (if Murphy is gone)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
David DeCastro disagrees.

I agree that you rarely want to spend a 1st on a G, and in doing so you have to absolutely nail the pick. Same with ILBer. If you end up with a DeCastro or a Patrick Willis, you are thrilled. If not, you look awful and inept.
For every David DeCastro there is a Joe Thuney who has had a virtually identical career and was selected in the third round.

It's literally always a bad idea to take a guard in the first round. They have to be a numerous times All Pro to be deserving and even then it's a suspect pick.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
For every David DeCastro there is a Joe Thuney who has had a virtually identical career and was selected in the third round.

It's literally always a bad idea to take a guard in the first round. They have to be a numerous times All Pro to be deserving and even then it's a suspect pick.
Beebe in the third would be a good pick ..should be a day one starter

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

That's about as wrong a statement as one can make. You're saying it would be literally a bad idea to take HoF players from the OL in the first round. Very, very bad take.

Your first statement is, however, on point. That's why you have to get it right or it's an awful idea.

Stout

Reaction score
I guess. What did the Steelers win during the seven seasons DeCastro was starting, going to the Pro Bowl four times and earning two AP All Pro designations? Did they even win a playoff game?
Trying to make a faulty inference, I see. They didn't win make or win the SB, if that's what you're asking. But yeah, it's a bad idea to have pro bowl/all pro offensive linemen. They're totally analogous to quarterbacks in that they are individually to blame for the team not winning the big dance lol

"I guess" it's a good idea to take pro bowl/all pro offensive linemen high in the draft. Outdoing yourself with this post lol

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That's about as wrong a statement as one can make. You're saying it would be literally a bad idea to take HoF players from the OL in the first round. Very, very bad take.

Your first statement is, however, on point. That's why you have to get it right or it's an awful idea.
You can find Hall of Fame ish caliber guards in the third round more than most positions.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Trying to make a faulty inference, I see. They didn't win make or win the SB, if that's what you're asking. But yeah, it's a bad idea to have pro bowl/all pro offensive linemen. They're totally analogous to quarterbacks in that they are individually to blame for the team not winning the big dance lol

"I guess" it's a good idea to take pro bowl/all pro offensive linemen high in the draft. Outdoing yourself with this post lol

This is the true faulty inference, I think. There's literally no way to know a prospect being drafted is going to be a pro bowler or an all pro. Those are by definition fringe outcomes.

DeCastro is such an interesting example. Good player. Didn't play for 10 years like everyone projects for first-round offensive linemen. His rookie year was derailed by injury. He was released after the 2021 season before his second contract was up; never played again.

You'd much have a guy like DeCastro at RG than Will Hernandez in a vacuum. But Kelechi Osemele was taken 30 spots later and was as good if not better. Wouldn't you rather have Harrison Smith and Osemele?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is the true faulty inference, I think. There's literally no way to know a prospect being drafted is going to be a pro bowler or an all pro. Those are by definition fringe outcomes.

DeCastro is such an interesting example. Good player. Didn't play for 10 years like everyone projects for first-round offensive linemen. His rookie year was derailed by injury. He was released after the 2021 season before his second contract was up; never played again.

You'd much have a guy like DeCastro at RG than Will Hernandez in a vacuum. But Kelechi Osemele was taken 30 spots later and was as good if not better. Wouldn't you rather have Harrison Smith and Osemele?
Agree with a lot of this. There is no way to know what that 1st round OG is going to be just like most picks. And, it isn't like we have a stacked roster full of talented players at premium positions. If we can't identify a player at DL/EDGE/CB/WR/OT with our second round pick, we should be trading back or firing our scouting dept.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kelce and Bowers are nothing alike.
As you well know both are VG pass catchers who are listed as TE's. Do you mean that Kelce is a real TE, while Brockers is just an overgrown WR. I'll admit I knew nothing about Kelce when he was in the Draft, while I do know something about Brockers, though not much. And maybe all you mean is that Brockers will never play TE in the NFL. Need help on this. Thanks.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would rather double dip at WR
Now this I wouldnt hate or mind.

MHJ and Brian Thomas would be a pretty great haul.

However, its very likely Buffalo and/or Kansas City move up for him.

So then we're talking Troy Franklin or AD Mitchell territory where I'd be more inclined to take them at the top of the 2nd round instead.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Beebe in the third would be a good pick ..should be a day one starter
Agree.
Zinter from Michigan in round 3 would be great too. Hes a top talent but tore his knee against OSU.
Great value but won’t get anything out of him year 1.

Stout

Reaction score

Much better post.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup. Especially with the 5th year option.
So you wouldn't want the extra year for an awesome IOL. Continuity is a big plus for the Oline. I think an excellent player at any position is good for utilizing the 5th year option.

Stout

Reaction score
Whether it’s the 1st or 32nd pick, I’m not wasting 1st round pick on a center & especially on a Guard.

Would rather just double dip at WR with the 27th pick & I’m against doing that, too.
So Linderbaum would have been a bad pick for you rather than trading for Brown?