2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Let me make this easy for them, it has gotten too easy for offensive players. They carry the ball non stop, travel all the time and just ram their way to the basket with no finesse at all..

That mixed with players constantly forcing trades and teaming up with other stars has killed the competitiveness of the league. Wonder if they could implement a system where you can only have two contracts above a certain dollar amount of like $25m? That would stop legit super teams from forming.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me make this easy for them, it has gotten too easy for offensive players. They carry the ball non stop, travel all the time and just ram their way to the basket with no finesse at all..

That mixed with players constantly forcing trades and teaming up with other stars has killed the competitiveness of the league. Wonder if they could implement a system where you can only have two contracts above a certain dollar amount of like $25m? That would stop legit super teams from forming.

Unfortunately, NBA star players would never let this happen.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Detroit center Mike Muscala is nearing a buyout.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate the fact that this mediocre Mavs team is not only our rival, but owns us in the rivalry as well.
When they are healthy like they are now I wouldn't consider Dallas to be mediocre. Similar to the Phoenix Suns if they were with a healthy backcourt most of the season they would likely be up with the current 1-4 Group at the top of the Western Conference.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When they are healthy like they are now I wouldn't consider Dallas to be mediocre. Similar to the Phoenix Suns if they were with a healthy backcourt most of the season they would likely be up with the current 1-4 Group at the top of the Western Conference.

I don’t see it, their record with Luka and Kyrie healthy is just as mediocre as their record is right now. They aren’t a very good fit together, Luka is just too ball dominant to play with somebody like Kyrie.

I also think our fan base as a collective has PTSD from two years ago. The 2022 suns beat themselves.

I would be far less afraid of playing Dallas than I would any of the teams ahead of us.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Also gotta love how they start to take this stuff seriously now that LeBron's career is winding down. I suspect whatever changes come would have had a negative effect on LeBron if introduced earlier.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also gotta love how they start to take this stuff seriously now that LeBron's career is winding down. I suspect whatever changes come would have had a negative effect on LeBron if introduced earlier.

I honestly think LeBron is one of the current superstars who would be least effected by a return to some of the older rules.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I don’t see it, their record with Luka and Kyrie healthy is just as mediocre as their record is right now.
Mav's record (this year) with both Luka / Kyrie is 19-12. That's on track for a 50 win season. That's better than mediocre.

In comparison, Suns' record with big 3 is 11-7, which is on track for, drumroll... a 50 win season. (11-6 & 53 win season if you discount the game Beal played only 5 minutes).

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't have a problem with players"Forcing trades". outside of James Harden it just doesn't seem like it's that common to me.

I agree with you when it comes to reestablishing some offensive/defensive balance. I would add moving screens to your list. That's kind of annoying about it is that these are not things that should be all that difficult to call.

I fear is that we will get back to you the kind of wrestling matches they had in the late 90s and early 2000s

By the way, the teams are scoring so much more today is because the pace is faster than ever and they are taking more three-pointers and hitting them at a higher rate. That opens up the rest of the offense. IMO Traveling, carrying the basketball, moving screens, ramming over defenders is no worse than it was 20 years ago. I would just rather have them clean that up than allowing the players to manhandle each other and we have no idea what's actually a foul and when.

Joe

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I honestly think LeBron is one of the current superstars who would be least effected by a return to some of the older rules.
I have to disagree on this. Pay close attention to LeBron's play and you will see him carrying the ball all the time, constantly taking extra steps and gets away with a ton of what should be offensive fouls. His game would suffer a lot if these things were enforced.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mav's record (this year) with both Luka / Kyrie is 19-12. That's on track for a 50 win season. That's better than mediocre.

In comparison, Suns' record with big 3 is 11-7, which is on track for, drumroll... a 50 win season. (11-6 & 53 win season if you discount the game Beal played only 5 minutes).

Luka is 24-23 in games with Kyrie.

And regardless, I'm still far less afraid of Dallas than I am about matching up with any of the teams in front of us.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have to disagree on this. Pay close attention to LeBron's play and you will see him carrying the ball all the time, constantly taking extra steps and gets away with a ton of what should be offensive fouls. His game would suffer a lot if these things were enforced.

The league hasn't cared about carrying since... the 70s? It's been rampant for ages.

The rule change most people are talking about is allowing hand checking and cracking down on moving screens, also allowing more time for defenders to stay in the paint.

If they called more fouls on offensive players for initiating contact that might effect LeBron some but not as much as dudes like Embiid, Doncic or Giannis.

He is a strong player with a great handle, the guys I think who would suffer most are dudes who struggle with contact and who use a ton of screens. Golden State would need to change up their offense. Durant would have a much harder time getting space, any of the dudes who take a ton of pull up jumpers and run off lots of screens.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has to be said, Joker is so good on offense it's not fair.

Last 3 games 21 points 19 boards 15 assists in 31 minutes, 29 15 14, in 35 minutes, 32 16 16 in 37 minutes. IN all 3 games he had a triple double by mid 3rd quarter.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Here is an interesting video showing how rules and more specifically their interpretation and implementation have changed over the decades. Have to say it feel like the 80s/90s seemed to have found the best balance between offense and defense and how strict they were with calls. 60s/70s were too strict with virtually no gray area and the modern era is too relaxed and geared too far towards offense.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

The Western Conference is as competitive as I can ever remember it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard