2023 1st round pick is #6 Paris Johnson

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Even in a talent-poor draft, I don’t know how great the culture fit would have to be.

It’s fine if they like Joe Alt more; it’s just wild to basically foreclose your top 10 pick after one season.
TBF Lane Johnson eventually became a borderline HOF as a top 5 pick RT.

Seems more exception rather than the rule. Maybe this is JG wanting to recreate Philly's Oline with a couple elite (hopefully) tackles.

Agree about trading a 3rd to move up for their guy though. We need as much talent as possible, but I hope they get the two 1st rounds pick correct.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Agree. My comment was specifically regarding giving up a top of the 2nd round pick to move up for PJJ if the thought was he is a RT only.
I guess. I dunno. They got their guy, even if he was an RT. The 2023 draft was pretty bad (probably -- still have to see). Giving up a second-round pick to move up five spots sounds bad in a vacuum, but if we'd gotten another BJ Ojulari but missed on the (ostensible) franchise tone-setter, are we better off?

If you're passing on Will Anderson because reasons, go and get the guy you really want. If you have to give up picks in a low-quality draft, so be it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I guess. I dunno. They got their guy, even if he was an RT. The 2023 draft was pretty bad (probably -- still have to see). Giving up a second-round pick to move up five spots sounds bad in a vacuum, but if we'd gotten another BJ Ojulari but missed on the (ostensible) franchise tone-setter, are we better off?

If you're passing on Will Anderson because reasons, go and get the guy you really want. If you have to give up picks in a low-quality draft, so be it.
What about Sam LaPorta who the Lions selected with our pick? Steve Avila who started 17 games with the Rams.

Was there an actual difference in play between Broderick Jones and PJJ other than PJJ started right away? This was my issue at the time. You had Johnson, Jones, Skoronski, and Wright were all proj top 15ish and PJJ was maybe the safest but also not the most talented. One of those should have been available at 12 if you thought PJJ was only a RT.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What about Sam LaPorta who the Lions selected with our pick? Steve Avila who started 17 games with the Rams.

Was there an actual difference in play between Broderick Jones and PJJ other than PJJ started right away? This was my issue at the time. You had Johnson, Jones, Skoronski, and Wright were all proj top 15ish and PJJ was maybe the safest but also not the most talented. One of those should have been available at 12 if you thought PJJ was only a RT.

Totally get it. There are a few gems in every draft, but Sam LaPorta wasn't going to be Him for us because we didn't have a QB and we already had a young and developing TE.

I'm willing to give coaching staffs and front offices some grace when it comes to their first pick because it's more than just the player you're bringing in. I totally get the criticism and agree that it seems like wasted resources, but it's only one year and one pick. This is especially true if you believe that Monti and his team doesn't trust the scouting staff much, so they roll over a bunch of assets that are likely to be wasted on scrubs anyhow.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard