2023 1st round pick is #6 Paris Johnson

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I never assume they are correct. I am holding onto Kyle's OL proj.

Ultimately, right now DJ is still on the roster as is Beachum. Until that changes, why would the Cardinals share that anything would change. I think The Captain will be a June 1 cut, which means the Cardinals have zero rush to make that roster move until after the draft. If MHJ is available at 4, Monti takes him, and we add a RT at 27 or in round 2...then you can cut DJ and have the plan be move PJJ to LT. If MHJ is gone and Monti decides to take Alt or Fashanu, then you cut DJ, and the plan stays keeping PJJ at RT. Even with inside sources, the plan is to keep things as they are until the draft comes which will dictate any changes.

The way that the captured Cardinals media has been pooh-pooh-ing taking a WR high as well is certainly concerning. I'm assuming that it's mostly whiplash from last year's trade down, not that something is being communicated to soften the ground (I don't think that Monti is at all interested in expectations management -- unlike his predecessor).

This is very much a case of "DHop is a member of this team right now." Also, the donkeys tryna get them clicks yo.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
To me - if the Cards saying they plan to keep Paris at RT - we must be addressing LT during free agency

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I never assume they are correct. I am holding onto Kyle's OL proj.

Ultimately, right now DJ is still on the roster as is Beachum. Until that changes, why would the Cardinals share that anything would change. I think The Captain will be a June 1 cut, which means the Cardinals have zero rush to make that roster move until after the draft. If MHJ is available at 4, Monti takes him, and we add a RT at 27 or in round 2...then you can cut DJ and have the plan be move PJJ to LT. If MHJ is gone and Monti decides to take Alt or Fashanu, then you cut DJ, and the plan stays keeping PJJ at RT. Even with inside sources, the plan is to keep things as they are until the draft comes which will dictate any changes.
Now I know this may be more of an indictment on the PHNX crew. However, they are hearing even if they take MHJ at 4 and an OL at 27 they are still keeping Paris at RT. Moving Guyton or Mims to LT because the organization cares about PJJ success first. Keeping him at RT and next to Hernandez.

Again its easy to dismiss them and they may be incorrect. However, its not what you know its who you know. All it takes is one guy who likes to blab to them.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Now I know this may be more of an indictment on the PHNX crew. However, they are hearing even if they take MHJ at 4 and an OL at 27 they are still keeping Paris at RT. Moving Guyton or Mims to LT because the organization cares about PJJ success first. Keeping him at RT and next to Hernandez.

Again its easy to dismiss them and they may be incorrect. However, its not what you know its who you know. All it takes is one guy who likes to blab to them.
If true, that would make me question Monti, Gannon and Petzing.

EDIT: Guyton makes some sense because I believe he has been a LT his entire career. I have not checked that tho.

EDIT TO THE EDIT: I was wrong. RT.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

EDIT: Guyton makes some sense because I believe he has been a LT his entire career. I have not checked that tho.

This is not correct.

As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 7 games and a total of 25 snaps. He conceded just one QB hurry, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing the majority of his snaps at left tackle, and the rest at left guard.

After the end of the season Guyton transferred to Oklahoma where as a junior Guyton saw action in 8 games and totaled 311 snaps. He gave up just 2 QB hurries, no QB hits, and one sack while playing most of his snaps at right tackle.

In 2023 as a senior Guyton saw action in 10 games and played a total of 662 snaps for the Sooners. He allowed 9 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and no sacks while playing at right tackle.

Apparently he played DT in high school.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

EDIT TO THE EDIT: I was wrong. RT.
Well they've(PHNX) doubled down that they are desperate for a LT based on what they are hearing. MHJ is the exception to not taking one at 4. Cards dont care what others think as they would have taken PJJ at 3 if not for the trade down. (which is ironic considering they now view him as primarily as a RT)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Well they've(PHNX) doubled down that they are desperate for a LT based on what they are hearing. MHJ is the exception to not taking one at 4. Cards dont care what others think as they would have taken PJJ at 3 if not for the trade down. (which is ironic considering they now view him as primarily as a RT)
A couple thoughts on this.

1 - We will see.

2 - I can stomach Alt at 4 and putting him at LT more than Mims or Guyton at 27 and putting him at LT.

3 - Giving up a top 35 pick to move up for a RT is a bad use of resources. Re: trading up for PJJ last year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How can you possibly draft a guy top 10 to play RT? Just absolute madness if this is the plan.

Even in a talent-poor draft, I don’t know how great the culture fit would have to be.

It’s fine if they like Joe Alt more; it’s just wild to basically foreclose your top 10 pick after one season.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Agreed with everyone that going for an RT (either by acquiring him last year or this one) in the top 10 is just insanely foolish.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Smokescreen. Everyone thinks MHJ at 4 is a lock. This is a ploy to make teams wanting an LT to think about trading up. JMO.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So they would have used the #3 pick on someone they currently view as a right tackle? :eek: :help:

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So they would have used the #3 pick on someone they currently view as a right tackle? :eek: :help:

No. It just didn't pan out how they hoped it would. Either that or a smokescreen like Redsz just said. It does seem pretty weird to make an announcement like that right before the draft. Why would someone do such a thing?

Or option #3. Johnny V and Brock are FOS. Nobody else is reporting this are they?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison