2022 verdict on Simmons and Collins

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think Collins is a comer, I’m not worried about him. He’ll just get better. As for Simmons, I still think his strength is being in position to blitz. I haven’t been impressed with his cover skills and play recognition. He covers best on the edges, like screens and passes in the flat. Coming downhill is one of his strengths. His real asset is speed. He needs creative defense design. He should blitz at every opportunity. He could run blitz a little and be disruptive. He should be involved in stunts because of his speed, open a gap and he’s amazingly quick bursting through it. This guy is a play maker with the right DC.
To me this begs the question can you have a defense that plays to both their strengths or is it a situation where it's one or the other but not both on the field at the same time? Do their strengths cancel out when their on the field at the same time or can you blend the two in a defensive system? Honest question.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
IMO, both Simmons and Collins appeared “lost” and confused far more than anyone would like to see. Don’t know if that’s due to VJ’s inappropriate schemes and usage of these two, or, if they just aren’t that smart and talented.
I have all but given up on Simmons. I seriously have no clue how he’d be best used. He is horrendous in coverage. And he is an average at best tackler…as he prefers to go for the highlight reel blow-up tackles as opposed to proper form/lock-up tackles.
Collins showed some improvement this year - limited as it was. But I’d be lying if I didn’t admit to a huge amount of concern with him as well…and the potential of becoming irrelevant.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was gun hole on Simmons and he sucks. The free agents they brought in where better, should have drafted different and keep Champell and Hicks

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Simmons can’t play in any position on the back 7 because he can’t cover anybody unless it’s a 9-route. He’s more of a player-problem than scheme-problem compared to Zaven.

The Reddick comparisons are so damn lazy.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Fringe players? Lol
Maybe we should talk about the poor scheme of Blowseph & terrible decisions of that same DC who would rather play a worthless Junk, Dogbee & Fotu instead of playing talented more skillful talented guys like Myjai & Thomas.

100% Bucky. I think it's challenging to make the final call on any player that's been subject to this disastrous coaching staff.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One point on this and it goes back to when we hired Wilks too.

THe Cards have to know when they hire a DC are we staying a 3-4 team or will the new DC possibly want to play 4-3 or some other defense? That was huge in the year Wilks coached because from everything we were told he promised Keim he would stay 3-4 and then tried to go 4-3 with a roster that was drafted and signed to be a 3-4 defense.

I'm not saying that for the rest of time we have to be a 3-4 but this roster we have now is probably not any better set up to suddenly be a 4-3 than we were with Wilks, and that goes for Simmons and Collins too. I think Collins could play in a 4-3, I'm not sure Simmons can he's just not very good against the run IMO.

Cam Thomas showed enough he probably could be a 4-3 DE if we switched, I don't think Sanders can though he's just not big enough.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
To me this begs the question can you have a defense that plays to both their strengths or is it a situation where it's one or the other but not both on the field at the same time? Do their strengths cancel out when their on the field at the same time or can you blend the two in a defensive system? Honest question.
I think Collins can play every down inside. He sheds blockers effectively and he gets good drops playing zone. He has the speed and agility to fill gaps. Simmons plays better outside but I’d limit his cover responsibilities, so he possibly plays only about 70% of the snaps. Some would conclude he‘s then too limited. I think his disruptive capabilities outweigh his limitations. He’s a rare potential weapon who is more of a rifle than a shotgun. He can break an opponents drive and potentially could stack up sacks. I think the 2 fit together okay, just not on every down.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really want to see those two guys in a defense outside of Blowseph’s and Billy Davis’ pukelage.
I agree 1000% with this, Davis is the worst LB coach in the league. I don't understand why Bidwill would allow him to be a coach with this team after the disaster of a defense he had back in 2010 as the DC.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They both look better than “fringe starters” to me. They both look pretty solid. We just drafted both of them to be special, and I don’t think either have it in them.

Not their fault when they were drafted. Keims need to recreate the Washington-Dansby pairing has ruined more than a few promising careers.
Agree with this. Was hoping for dansby/Washington or keuchly/Davis and instead we got two okay ILBs.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We cannot invest any more capital into the MLB position. We have to make it work with these 2 guys.