2022 2nd round pick is TE Trey McBride

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The pick definitely befuddled me at the time given all of the other higher priority needs, but Ertz/Williams aren’t spring chickens and if he turns out to be a pro bowler no one will go back and say “but we had so many needs though!”

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I actually do. Football Outsiders just released a forecasting engine for drafted TEs called Travis. Here’s what they say:

Bad year for TEs and RBs.
Basically the only TE worth a hoot was McBride.

Based on FOs RB numbers, only players worth day two picks were Hall and White.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The pick definitely befuddled me at the time given all of the other higher priority needs, but Ertz/Williams aren’t spring chickens and if he turns out to be a pro bowler no one will go back and say “but we had so many needs though!”
Yea at the tend pick i dropped my bong was like wtflol not a need with mighty max and captain eartz

Hope he pans out hes big atleast good hopin redzone target

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
My thinking is we are thinking a year or two ahead with this pick. If he becomes our stud TE in a year, we will then be able to cut the older TEs that cost more money and may have a younger more talented TE on top of it. It seems we are building a young and lasting set of offensive weapons (Hopkins being the exception).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

REVIEW​

Where he wins: Downfield
McBride wins where so few tight ends do — down the football field. He can get past the linebacker-level swiftly and then presents a massive target over the middle. He can do it all while also being a respectable blocker.
What's his role: All-Around TE
McBride is a starting in-line tight end from Day 1. The leap in competition obviously presents a learning curve, but he's talented and proven enough to not stress about it.
What can he Improve: Physical Routes
McBride could stand to get even more physical as a route-runner. He's too content with someone hanging on him at times, knowing he's likely to win at the catch point, which won't always be the case in the league.

SHADES OF​

Dallas Goedert
If he’s goedert that’s gold

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I really liked McBride when I watched tape.

But the needs were elsewhere.

But I think 5 years from now McBride is still on the team, and is a good player. Conundrum.
If the last paragraph plays out it’s no conundrum. Few 2nd round picks make big contributions in year one. If he’s a long term player, I’m good with this pick.

Anyone know how he compares to friermuth?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So many leading up to draft:

“We need to load up on weapons on the O to help Kyler”

Team is doing exactly that and the same people:

“The trade and this pick sucks”
Not me. I’m good with what we’ve done. Not sure the Hollywood pick was of good value, but unlike him, he brings needed speed, and he helps with kyler. And what’s not to like about the best TE in the draft? Now if he can only shed the shadow of cardinals TE draft picks past (ghosts of McWilliams, niklas, and housler dancing sardonically in my head) . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But you are being negative. I was listening to Jeremiah & Bucky Brooks speak of this kid earlier this week. They emphasized that he would be slighted because he was a TE, but that some team would be thrilled that they drafted him. Why not the Cardinals???
No he’s not. He said he’s fine with the pick he’s just calling out the Keim’s same response with every second round pick. Some of you want to attack other posters so badly you’re manufacturing reasons to do so.

“I like the pick”

[keim says same thing for third year in a row]

“Sheesh, keim”

“WHY DO YOU HATE EVERYTHING?!?”

Lol

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
No he’s not. He said he’s fine with the pick he’s just calling out the Keim’s same response with every second round pick. Some of you want to attack other posters so badly you’re manufacturing reasons to do so.

“I like the pick”

[keim says same thing for third year in a row]

“Sheesh, keim”

“WHY DO YOU HATE EVERYTHING?!?”

Lol
He did not, I swear Keim said he likes to pick his nose :slap:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well my initial reaction was confusion considering our needs.

That's not to say TE isn't a need. Maxx is coming off an ACL and has a long and deep injury history. Out only other TE is the guy we picked up in FA who's name I don;t need to know because he's likely to be cut now.

Maxx is FA next year too. Ertz is 31 and they must really like McBride and see him as the long term solution at TE. TE's is a tough position to transition too. The usage is very different in college to the NFL, so they really need a year to adjust.

So in isolation it does make sense.

At the time with Sam Williams, Drake Jackson, Cam Britt-Taylor, Nik Bonitto and James Cook still there I was not pleased.

Looking at how the board played out though I'd rather have Drake Jackson in round 2 and Jeremy Ruckert in round 3.

McBride reminds me of a quicker Maxx Williams (also a round 2 pick). Watch some Williams college highlights and you won't recognize the guy leaping over defenders.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually do. Football Outsiders just released a forecasting engine for drafted TEs called Travis. Here’s what they say:

Bad year for TEs and RBs.

TE is one of the most difficult positions to project in the NFL. The 3 best in the league were 3rd, 5th and 6th round picks. It's very difficult to judge what McBride may be.

Say in a good TE class he goes 3rd round. Well that still has good odds of working out for TE.

They obviously like McBride and he wasn't going to last until the late 3rd.

The way I look at it is if they had drafted Cam Thomas in the 2nd, and McBride and Sanders in the 3rd we probably wouldn't complain about it (well, less would).

For what it's worth to anyone...

McBride was consensus pick #51 and we got him at #55.

Cameron Thomas was consensus pick #61 and we got him at #87

Myjai Sanders was consensus #82 and we got him at #100.

So we did pretty well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose